I hate all those "reality" shows.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Imported, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Imported

Gold Member

Jake27: I swear, I really, really hate those shows. Where do they find people so stupid? Or so willing to throw away their dignity for paltry sums of money, prizes or God-only-knows what else. Like the family that went to Africa like they were on some sort of picknick. I mean honestly I never heard so much bitchin and moanin as they did. Like they hadn't been prepared as to the harsh environment they'd be living in for 6 months. What's y'alls opinion?

2. Imported

Gold Member

mindseye: *nods*

If you take the shows at face value -- that is, if you believe that they are 'real' -- then participants in the shows are being deceived, tricked, and often tormented in the name of entertainment. The mentality that produces those types of shows is as sick as the mentality that watches them.

If, on the other hand, you believe that the shows are staged -- that the 'participants' know a lot more than they're letting on and are just playing the part to make the show more convincing -- well, then it's the dramatic equivalent of WWF.

Either way, I don't find them entertaining.

3. Imported

Gold Member

gigantikok: I don't know, I think Survivor is pretty neat, only because it is psychologically fascinating. I also know for sure that it isn't staged. I am not of the opinion that the participants are being "tormented" because THEY apply for the show, THEY want to be on TV, and THEY want to win the money. Survivor is as much a game show as it is a reality series. Either way, it is very entertaining. That is the ONLY reality series I watch though. The other reality crap that Fox spews out for a quick ratings boost is just that.. crap! Most of it is devoid of any depth, but I've come to expect that with most basic, non-cable American programming.

4. Imported

Gold Member

Thumper_10x7_CA: Survivor is a good show because it's constantly changing from season to season. Not only the environment but the different elements that aren't expected. Like this past season when the contestants didn't know the game was starting so soon and were thrown off the boat with no preparation or supplies, only the clothes on their back and their instincts.

Shows like Big Brother or The Bachelor are only good the first season they air. After that the contestants have seen the show. They know the format. They know what to expect and how to manipulate it to their advantage.

Personally I hate this whole reality show craze that America seems to be in. I used to love The Real World on MTV, years ago when it was the only show like it on the air. Sure the editing made it much more dramatic then it really was, but it seemed real and fresh (especially the Hawaii season! That Ruthie was a mess wasn't she? LOL) Fear on MTV was cool too, having 5 people exploring reportedly haunted locations over night was freaky! That one was more psychological unlike Fear Factor which has nothing to do with fear. It should be called Gross Out Factor because that's what it's about. What disgusting thing can they make the idiots do for money. Then there's Average Joe and Mr Personality and Joe Millionaire... Come on! How staged can you get? They are purposely trying to create conflict for ratings.

Reality shows are cheap to produce and have enormous returns in advertising revenue. As long as the public continues it's voyeuristic desire to watch these shows, the networks will continue to come up with moronic situations to put gulible people in.

Draft saved Draft deleted