I hate, hate, hate, hate my birth name

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_New End, Nov 9, 2010.

1. B_New End

B_New End New Member

In fact, when it comes to introducing myself, I usually cringe at the thought of telling someone my name. I actually get angry at my mom and dad when I think of them giving me such a shitty name.

And to be clear, it is not a common name, and I certainly have caught wind of people insulting me because of my name. (of course school was a never ending taunt session) In fact, my girlfriend at the time came home crying once from a family outing she was at where one of her uncles said, "with a name like, ______ he has to be an idiot!" Seriously. Another girlfriend told me one of her friends said, "yeah, he really needs to do something about that name". It's not as bad as Homer, but it usually is a name given to dorks in movies, at least if you are white. Black guys and Mexicans are named it too sometimes, but that is different.

I want to change it. But I am not sure what to. Most names bring up images of people I already know. I have no historical heroes, since they all had faults, and Lenin would just be too obvious. I love like Orion and shit, but that is just male-stripper-ish.

I don't like my middle name either, its not bad, it just isn't me.

But furthermore, I am always surprised, how do people go about changing their names? I know a few people who have done it. Have you ever doen it? how did your peers react to you announcing that you want to be called something different?

#1 B_New End, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  2. Man4menu

Man4menu Member

Albums:

I've always like Skyler but that's just me! not sure if anyone feels the same...

3. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

Picking a new name is kinda like selecting a tattoo - you want to make sure you are absolutely comfortable and happy with the choice before you make the commitment.

Checking out the most popular names on wikipedia there are a few pretty badass names peppered in there.

I know in the UK it's relatively simple to change your name and it costs next to nothing. I believe the process in the USA is slightly more complex and involves court orders etc.

4. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Well, wiki (I know, I know) says:

I suggest you start by common usage. Introduce yourself by your new name to new people and explain to close friends that you are sick of your given name and are trying out a new name. You'll be surprised how quickly people will adapt.

I had a friend who adopted a new name when he moved countries - after a while he got sick of the new name and decided to revert to his original name. We, in the new country had only ever known him as, let's say, 'Pete'. A few of his old mates came for a visit and all called him (let's say) 'Joe' - he requested that we all call him 'Joe' and that was that really. With one set of people calling him 'Joe' it was fairly easy to switch to it. I occassionally still think of him as 'Pete' but I always call him 'Joe'.

Choosing the actual name is the hard bit - and you may end up hating it so that's why I suggest going with common usage as a starter, test drive it. I, personally, would turn to favourite characters in literature - especially slightly different ones. I also have a great pen name picked out should I ever write anything actually worth publishing - it is an anagram of my full name. Yeah, that's the kind of shit that amuses me. :rolleyes:

5. Patchos

Gold Member

Eugene? Melvin? Poindexter?

:haha:

Edit: What does this have to do with Clothing, Underwear and Appearances?

6. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

I was thinking Kevin myself.

Though I'd still rather be called 'Kevin' than 'Skyler' - no offence Man4.

7. B_New End

B_New End New Member

It's admittedly not as bad as Poindexter.

And maybe if you have a common name, you don't quite realize what an impact it can have on the way people perceive you. I think a name is part of your "appearance". Furthermore, script writers and authors spend a good amount of time choosing names for characters for a reason. Names evoke emotion.

Kevin is a common name, and pretty non-descript. I have a pretty close friend named Skyler.

8. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    I agree with you. I've had friends argue this point with me, then immediately say afterwards, without realizing the irony or the contradiction, "You know, I like the name Elizabeth. I knew a girl named Elizabeth and she was really nice and friendly."

9. Chantillylace

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I've always thought that more exotic names were sexy.. Well exotic for the us.. Like Xavier, or Giovanni. But that's just me.

10. B_New End

B_New End New Member

Elizabeth - uptight snob
    Bertha - come on, everyone knows what Bertha evokes
    Barbara - a very common name for a particular age group, and to me evokes, not so good emotion.
    Britney - I pity the smart girl named Britney
    Mercedes - this name has way too much class for most women to live up to
    Webster - same as poindexter

Most names are pretty non-descript or generic enough to not evoke emotion. Jon and Chris means nothing.

#10 B_New End, Nov 9, 2010
  11. B_New End

B_New End New Member

I love Xavier. That actually has been one of the ones I have oft pondered. Giovanni is too smooth for me.

Unfortunately, Xavier was a Jesuit priest, IIRC.

12. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    I think one of the difficulties of changing your name as an adult is that you don't want to change it to be the same name as one of your friends or family members, unless it's a deceased grandfather or something, a tribute name. That only leaves the more unusual names to choose from.

13. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

No offence, pet, but that's horseshit.

There are 1000's of common names out there. So either you and I have different definitions of 'common' or you have a WAY bigger family and LOADS more friends than I do.

14. Chantillylace

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I know that part of the reason we like names is association.. Based on association with people/memories... I've always liked these more USA seemingly somewhat pretty boy names like:
    Kellen
    Landon
    Logan
    Colton (I know lows too much like cotton but love the sound)

Perhaps if I knew your last name this would be easier..

15. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    I must know a lot more people than you do then! When I was thinking about changing my name, for every name that I liked, I already knew someone who had that name. It was frustrating.

Really, it was the unusual ones that were left.

Just glance at the list of 1000 most common female names. You'd be shocked at how many people suddenly pop into mind when you read the names.

Among the top 100, I don't know women with 10 of the names, and they aren't the ones I'd choose for myself:

27 Shirley
    47 Frances
    55 Doris
    56 Gloria
    60 Mildred
    88 Bonnie
    90 Ruby
    91 Lois
    93 Phyllis
    94 Norma

#15 petite, Nov 9, 2010
  16. jhmazn

jhmazn New Member

One friend changed her name by closing her eyes and pointing to a name in the phone book. The name, luckily, was OK. Another idea is to pick a name associated with something you like. If you like French food, consider Pierre, or Laurent, BMW's and Audi's, consider Willi or Eric, and you would be less likely to associate another person with the name.

17. mexdude

mexdude New Member

Albums:
    Watchs your name then? maybe its not so bad, my name its the most common name ever in mexico for a male, JOSE , u__u , the male name i dislike the most is "guadalupe", its a girl name, but for some reason people use it for men, bleh

18. B_New End

B_New End New Member

Let see
    19 jobs
    18 years of school
    33 years of life
    I've probably met 5 of every common name.

heh... my last name is a pretty common Mexican/Spanish/Portuguese name, like Rodriguez or Martinez. So my first name is pretty much Jewish, and my last name usually assumes me to be a Mexican, but I have no blood of either. I actually like my last name, and I like my dad's side of the family, where it came from, so I wouldn't change it.

In fact, I have considered simply changing my first name to my last name, and last name to first.

#18 B_New End, Nov 9, 2010
  19. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ha ha, now it's as though we're playing "twenty questions." I think I have guessed your first name, though I won't say it, as you seem not to want to make it known.

20. B_New End

B_New End New Member

well PM me the answer for no prize.
    A unique name is an easy way to be found on the internet. And umm... I don't really want a Google search of my name by my catholic uncle leading to this site. :biggrin1:

Draft saved Draft deleted