I hate having to choose between them or those...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_mitchymo, Jan 7, 2010.

1. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

...i think its about time we made politics more real and have them all compete for jobs in an x factor style reality show. I don't see why we can't have a government made from cross parties. I swear it would be so much more successful for everyone...maybe lol

2. Mark_UK

Mark_UK New Member

Albums:
    I think we should make them fight to the death is star trek type circles of death.If they refuse to kill each other then we should use helicopters to drop anvils on them, and hamsters armed with AK47s.

3. ubered

ubered New Member

Not sure about the reality show part... but the hamsters with guns sound good. :biggrin1:

I reckon you're right though Mitchy. Party discipline and whips mean that often representatives don't necessarily vote the way their consciences dictate. It'd be better to vote for individual candidates rather than members of parties - this way there'd be less block voting and elected representatives would have to work to build consensus on issues. Surely decisions built on cross-ideology (if ideology still exists) consensus are more lasting and bring greater stability?

4. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

Fighting to the death is a good idea, but that would leave up to half of them still alive. Wouldn't it be easier to just shoot them all, directly?

5. Mark_UK

Mark_UK New Member

Albums:
    You could just shoot them but where is the fun in that?
    You could just have heats the survivors from the first round go head to head with the hamsters and so on until you have one person left, then you drop an anvil on them.

6. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

The aim is to simplify the process. I doubt anyone would play the game once they saw the stakes. So you have to take them unawares, and all at once.

7. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

governments like that dont work because they wont ever agree. One party governments would be far more successful and no one wojuld dare disagree but no one would endorse that

8. ubered

ubered New Member

I know where you're coming from Lemon, but I think it could be possible. Not with the present situration of course, because present structures aren't concieved for consensus, just for debate and voting. So there'd have to be new processes and procedures within representative bodies that are designed to help build consensus. Damned if I know what'd they'd be though :biggrin1:

9. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Cameron's vowed to do that anyway, if he's elected. He's mentioned creating a War Cabinet, with Lib Dem and Labour ministers also attending, so there can be a year of social, and economic reform.

Not sure about one party govs, lemo - sounds like a dictatorship, and too close to what the EU is doing... :(

10. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

hense why it was used as an example

11. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

I suggested the idea based on as i told Joll once that my home town has had a quick and massive development over the last decade where no-overall control has dominated our council. I seriously reckon things get done quicker because decisions if not fully accepted are compromised ideas and so suffer no setbacks in implementing. And they benefit everybody with majority backing from cross political spectrum.

Or we could all just vote Lib Dem and at least give them their first chance to make a cock-up in power for once! :biggrin1:

12. mattflanders

mattflanders Member

Albums:
    You seem to forget that the European Commission has members of the three big political families. The EU is definitely not a one-party system.
    Apart from that, you're completely right, Joll. One-party government couldn't be farther from democracy. And to me democracy is being offered a choice between alternatives.

Being Belgian, I live in a political system that has many many political parties and currently our government consists of 5 parties. (the Flemish and francophones have separate parties) And I must tell you, sometimes it works, but lately it hasn't worked...

13. mattflanders

mattflanders Member

Albums:
    Yes! Please do that! :smile:

14. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Ha, glad someone agrees. I'm so sick of the Conservative and Labour battle for leadership. I want more than a two horse race.

15. mistergrasso

mistergrasso Member

I wonder if an anti trust case or RICO case could be brought against the two major parties. It would be cool if they were forced to break up by the courts because they fail to offer real choices to consumers/voters.

16. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Surely it is as simple as appointing those with the largest genitals, breasts and bottoms. Thus confirming that our politicians are the biggest arses, tits, dicks and cunts in the country.

17. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks. :)

Nah, I hadn't forgotten that the Commission and Parliament is made up of members from different parties - it still manages to feel like a one-party state though, due to it's consensus politics and the inability to accept any views other than those that favour closer integration.

18. Daisy

Gold Member

I think you're absolutely right Mitch. The two party system is ridiculous. I'm sick to death of the gridlock in California because the Democrats and Republicans can't agree on ANYTHING. Well the whole country really. What ever happened to the idea of government working FOR the PEOPLE?

19. mattflanders

mattflanders Member

Albums:
    Well Joll, I'm used to a certain degree of consensus politics, and as long as a whole range of opinions is represented I'm okay with it. I'm pro-European and a eurofederalist so I have no problem whatsoever with the EU.
    Compared to Belgium, the EU functions relatively smoothly and democratic.

Draft saved Draft deleted