I hate my new TV listings

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by ssongs, Feb 1, 2010.

1. ssongs

ssongs Active Member

Albums:
    So I just got a new car and I can afford it if I make some changes to my budget. I just a got raise at work so that covers most of it but I also had to downgrade my DirecTV package from the "Choice" package, which had around 150 channels, to the "Family" package, which has a measly 50 channels. Most of them are the local channels, religious, and for kids. No Discovery channel but I do get the National Geographic Channel which strangely wasn't available on my old package. To kind of make up for it I ordered Showtime, which does cost $12.99, but I'm still saving money since both Showtime and the Family package together are cheaper than the Choice package.

Bottom line, I'm really bored now. I've always had this idea that cable companies should offer a "Selection" package where you get all the local networks plus you get to choose 10 channels of your choice. Or if you wanted more than that you could get 20 with a higer price. I would choose Comedy Central, TNT, TBS, Discovery, all the channels I used to watch all the time! Why don't they do that?!

2. dick12262

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    They don't do that so they can overcharge for their high margin stations. Especially like ESPN - I have no use for it at all, and yet it alone adds $3-4 a month to my bill. A menu system would be welcome by me.

3. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I've been unhappy with TW cable for years. I always wished Time Warner had a la carte cable.
    However I have a package now that includes premium cable, internet and unlimited local and long distance calling in the US, Canada and Puerto Rico for $99.00 a month so I'm satisfied with the package deal right now.

4. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

Empathy!

5. Principessa

Gold Member

That is an awesome idea! I would totally go for that. :yup:

In addition to the basic local channels I need: USA, Comedy Central, TNT, TBS, TLC, E!, Spike, DIY, Logo, Discovery, D-HC, Bravo, Style, HGTV, Food, Lifetime, A&E and of course the Weather Channel. :biggrin1:

I don't need: ESPN, FOX NEWS, Disney, BET, Game Show Network, MTV or any derivation thereof.

6. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

Yes, "ala carte" satellite (or even cable) programming would be great. Pay for only the channels you want.

Same goes for XM/Sirius satellite radio!

I've complained to the FCC about this. Dead ears.

Draft saved Draft deleted