Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I personally dont have to go through this. However my brother is gay and our mother is very religious. He came out and she completely cut him off however the rest of our family even extended family still treat him the same, as did all of his friends. My mother has recently begun to talk to him again after four years. Its not a picnic In many cases but its worth it in the end to be yourself and not be afraid or concerned about what people think about you. In the end its up to you. If you ever want to talk feel free to send me a message <3 hope things go well for you.

PS: ignore the pessimist and imbeciles on here (Verga)

Adrian69702006

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
mymilkshakez. Reading your post, I have to say that I felt for you a great deal. I would concur with the majority of what's been said by way of reply to date.

Sexuality can be, and often is, a very fluid thing. My hunch, for what it's worth, is that you're probably bisexual rather than gay as such. However whatever your sexuality is, it's perfectly alright to be just that . It's the way God made you and you certainly shouldn't hate yourself for it.

Also, at 19 you're very young and you've got a lifetime to live and a lot of growing up and learning still to do. You don't have to make any irrevocable life changing decisions yet. Also when you're young there's a tendency to have very strong, intense, feelings about people and situations. I know that was certainly true in my case at your age. However I think you'll find as you get older your feelings become less intense and you'll find it easier to take a longer, more relaxed view of the world.

Try not to worry too much about sexual relationships right now. It might sound like old fashioned advice but I think there's a lot to be said for having as wide a range of interests as possible and having a good pool of friends with whom you can simply enjoy hanging out.

I hope that helps but if you want to talk privately please don't hesitate to PM me.

MH07

Expert Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I can't even admit to myself that I am gay. None of my friends, family, or anyone I know is gay and they all treat it like it is a disease. It's wrong and I've been fed this my whole life and right now I cannot cope with it. Every time I get drunk, high, I am afraid I'll slip so I cannot even really enjoy myself when I get out. I am naturally a manly man but inside I know I am still attracted to older men but even somedays I will be attracted to woman. Some days I just pray for hours and think about my life if I wasn't gay. I hate myself right now. I really do.

DO NOT HATE YOURSELF!!! You are a child of God and were made exactly the way you should be. One of the hardest things I had to overcome was the exact same thing as you--I could have written that post when I was 18.

Are you sane? Are you as kind and loving a human being as you can be? Then you are ok. My great Aunt told me, when I finally (tearfully) had this conversation with her, "Honey, it's not YOU; it's THEM!" referring to my very religious parents and friends. She told me to quit trying to fit into their molds and go be my own man. Best advice I ever got.

I still had trouble with the religious thing. Fortunately for me, I have a gay cousin who steered me to a very accepting church where I found many others like me, in a church where I wasn't condemned nonstop from the pulpit but instead told that "All of us are God's children, and He didn't make any junk!!!"

I am now happy and mostly well-adjusted.

If I can help you in ANY way, please don't hesitate to pm me on here, I will be glad to give you my phone number if you'd like to talk.

basque9

LPSG Legend
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The road through life is not straight, it is full of curves and rocky slopes. Remind yourself that you are what you are, not by choice...forget the naysayers and religious zealots.....God created who and what you are. There is love for you and compassion in this world, even when your family may be ashamed of you! Try to be the best person you can! You will find peace, strength and direction in your life. People will learn to respect and to admire you! My wish is that you find the right path through life soon!:smile:
Basque

B_Lightkeeper

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
If this is a plea for help...or sympathy, don't feel like you are alone. Looking at your pictures, you've got a lot going for you. Before you do anything drastic, think not twice...but several times. You've got friends and support here. You can and will be loved.

DickVaine

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Hi. You got some nice responces, and some decent advice. As I was in the same exact situation as you, I'll add this:

Don't feel guilty for hating yourself. You don't need any more guilt, and with your background and lack of support, ANYONE would feel the same way. You're just being honest and admitting it. And, even though it's the worst feeling in the world, you feeling it (rather than sublimating it) and admitting it publically, "to the world" here on the internet, will actually help lessen that feeling. It may not go away completely, or it might, but it will lessen greatly, so that you can function like the rest of us. Like one of the posters advised: HANG ON. When you're 18, time is your friend. It's merciful and will bring you things to alleviate your pain, and lessen your family's influence.

My family considered being gay the same as being a Satanist, a pedophile, and a cannibal. When you're exposed to that from infancy to adulthood, you're going to feel it deeply, even if you don't agree with them. I never got along with my father or brother. Just my mother. And she was the worst of the three on that subject!

When I'd think impartially about being gay I came to the conclusion that it's a mixed bag. I'll never have a traditional family, or fit in, like my family. But I won't have the pressure of supporting a family, either. And the feeling of being with someone you're physically attracted to feels so good, that it can't be bad. Any pleasure you can get in this tough life is hard won and, therefore, well deserved. You may not feel that you deserve any pleasure or reward, but just having conscience enough to feel as guilty as you do, and suffering over it is your pass. There is a majority who SHOULD feel guilty about something nasty they did (for their actions, not for what they are; unless they're an asshole ;) but never will. Charles Manson comes to mind. And he's bi!

This last piece of unsolicited wisdom is the most important because it's true, and you'll never read it anywhere else. Don't believe this very popular piece of bullshit:

"How can you truly love someone if you can't love yourself?"

That doesn't even make sense. But, well-meaning people say this all the time. Just don't let these "philosophers" convince you you're even more fucked up than you are.
If someone didn't post that to you, they will. The answer is: very easily. That's like asking how can you like the taste of carrots if you hate the taste of spinach? Two different veggies, two different people. I'm telling you this so you don't think you'll have to get yourself together before you can enjoy the comforts of a relationship. There are enough narcicists in the world, especially on the male side.

Please keep us, pardon the expression, "abreast" of your activities for the next couple of weeks at least, ok? Half of us are scared for you, and the other half wanna date you. Any positive interest is good I think. Happy New Year! ;p

D_CountVonBhigBohner

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It comes down to two scenarios:

1) Live your life hiding your feelings and ultimately being miserable.
2) Being happy and dealing with others comments and disapproval accordingly.

I chose #2 and guess what....those who mean something to me and were shocked that I am bisexual got over it and accepted me for who I am. The haters, they aren't part of my life anymore.

Last edited:

Wrat

Expert Member
Media
As mentioned above, in the middle, between the eas
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have to say this because it is true, and the truth reigns supreme. Some of the best people I know are gay.

You might want to lay low for a while to get clear of the danger zone. If everyone you have contact with thinks there is something terribly wrong with gay people it will only be hurtful to them to come out now. Remember that you can go a lifetime without discussing your sexuality with those who don't need to know. It's not necessary, and it can even be dangerous. Choose your time. It might help for you to try to be compassionate with those people who don't understand; they really don't know why they hate. Convince yourself to be the better person, and don't ever think of yourself as flawed.

ChicagoWuff

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
As others have said... What you're feeling isn't uncommon. Nobody "chooses" to be gay. We all struggle with it. And sometimes, that struggle really, REALLY sucks. If you've not comfortable coming out to the people around you, then don't. But DO try to make some new friends. With a college education and a career, you can set yourself free from the control of others and either come out, or not... At your leisure.

Most importantly... Most gay men are not the screaming queens you see on TV shows like Modern Family or Glee. Most gay men are much closer to the character Max on the TV show Happy Endings. We watch/play sports, we hang out with our buds, we're men. Who... just happen to have sex with men. Unfortunately, only the screaming queens tend to stand out. And don't get me wrong, those guys are hilarious! But being gay doesn't mean you need to be anything like them.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I didn't choose to be as I am. It means a lot to me to hear that I am lovable from others. But I don't always have others handy for that, and I have had to learn to actually love myself. When I forget how, I hurt again.

Please do not hurt.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Please don't hate yourself. Their opinions of you are wrong. I'm sorry that they're hurting you by being so ignorant and making you feel like there's something wrong with you. It's wrong of them to do that to you and to anyone else.

Having you considered moving someplace more accepting where you can be happy, like a larger city away from your family, or someplace like San Francisco? That way you can be yourself and you can come out to your family when the time is right for you.

upone

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In your original post you referred to being "manly". It might be useful to read Randy Shilts's book "Conduct Unbecoming" for the story of Perry Watkins. Everyone who knew him knew he was gay. When he was drafted in 1968 he told the induction center that he was gay. They thought he was trying to beat the draft because he didn't "act gay". He stayed in the Army; each time he re-upped he checked the box that he was homosexual. In 1985, when he tried to re-up to finish his 20 years, the Reagan DoD tried to kick him out. He sued and won.

One of the many interesting aspects of his life was that it was much easier for straight men to beat the draft by pretending to be gay than it was for gay men to be excluded because straight men knew how the straight induction officials expected gay men to look and act.

chuck216

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
One thing if you're hating the way you are for religious reasons, don't. While I'm an agnostic this still holds true, if god does exist and the bible is right. Then I have news for you one of gods favorites was bisexual if not completely gay, that being King David, yes the same one that killed Goliath. Who had a long term relationship with Jonathan and was said to love him more than a man would love his wife. So how could god think being gay is wrong if one of his favorites was gay.

rsny845

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This thread reflects a blessing of LPSG - the support, concern and always needed humor represented by this community is a wonder. Keep hearing the wisdom and care in these posts. We are all in this together.

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
You didn't choose to be gay, so why should you hate yourself for being gay? Obviously it's illogical and you have embraced the illogical and destructive attitudes of those around you which, unfortunately, is not unusual. Your first step should be to examine the situation with hard cold logic and see that there is no more reason to hate yourself for being gay than there would be to hate yourself for having a certain blood type or certain eye color. Once you have understood that intellectually, you will be in a better position to adjust your feelings and stop hating yourself, although it may still take some time.

Regarding your being concerned about what you might do while under the influence of ethanol, the solution to that is very simple; don't ingest ethanol! When I was 16, I made the decision never to drink and I haven't. It is not essential to life and although many people can drink occasionally without experiencing problems as a result, it does create problems for many people. Since ethanol apparently does create problems for you, just don't use it. Choosing not to drink does not obligate you to explain your choice to others; it is your choice and if others are disturbed by your choice, it is their problem, not yours. Your friends will accept you choice whether they choose to drink or not; people who do not accept your choice are not your friends.

There are times and situations that reveal to us who our friends really are. Being gay and choosing not to drink are sometimes those situations.

Last edited:

quantaviusK

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
When i read the thread title it bought a lump to my throat. I know how it feels to beat yourself up about not fitting in with the views of those close to you. You feel like its your fault and theres something wrong with you.

Alot of people hold bigotry and homophobic views. But these people usually don't know any gays and are just afraid of what they dont understand. If they love you as a friend and family then they should accept you for who you are. Dont hold it inside because it'll burn you up. I know it takes alot of courage to do this but the happiness that comes with freedom of expression is a deep and ultimately warming one.

I hope soon you can accept who you are. Like 'rsny' says, were all in this together, gay, straight, bi or trans-gender. All of us.

surto

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
In your original post you referred to being "manly". It might be useful to read Randy Shilts's book "Conduct Unbecoming" for the story of Perry Watkins. Everyone who knew him knew he was gay. When he was drafted in 1968 he told the induction center that he was gay. They thought he was trying to beat the draft because he didn't "act gay". He stayed in the Army; each time he re-upped he checked the box that he was homosexual. In 1985, when he tried to re-up to finish his 20 years, the Reagan DoD tried to kick him out. He sued and won.

One of the many interesting aspects of his life was that it was much easier for straight men to beat the draft by pretending to be gay than it was for gay men to be excluded because straight men knew how the straight induction officials expected gay men to look and act.

lol, very interesting story, what a crazy world we live in!

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
Look at all these nice messages you received here! I am so proud of the LPSG community. You scored "big" again (no pun intended).

Hate yourself for being gay? Are you serious? Hate yourself for being attracted to males? That is so ludicrous. If people have a problem with you being gay, then they are not worth the time of day (they are not right!). Sure, your family may be some issues, but if they really love you, they'll accept you just the way you are. And remember, you are perfect just the way you are!

Alone? Are you kidding? There are a ZILLIONS of gay, bi and transgendered people out there.

All the best, buddy
Bull:smile:

B_thickjohnny

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I can't be any more eloquent and tell you anything more than what's already been mentioned here. You have a long life ahead of you - take is all in stride today knowing that the road ahead will become smoother and smoother as time goes on. I went through - I'm sure many guys went through it - questioning what was happening, asking why, denying, trying to be what you knew wasn't there, dating women and hoping against hope that the attraction to men would pass. But all of this all passes in time. You'll grow emotionally, you begin to accept yourself and you'll find support within your peers in school and within your own community. Be strong and know that here on LPSG you have a very strong support system. We're here to help you.... feel free to contact any of us if you need questions answered or just want to chat.

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Look at all these nice messages you received here! I am so proud of the LPSG community. You scored "big" again (no pun intended).

Hate yourself for being gay? Are you serious? Hate yourself for being attracted to males? That is so ludicrous. If people have a problem with you being gay, then they are not worth the time of day (they are not right!). Sure, your family may be some issues, but if they really love you, they'll accept you just the way you are. And remember, you are perfect just the way you are!

Alone? Are you kidding? There are a ZILLIONS of gay, bi and transgendered people out there.

All the best, buddy
Bull:smile:

I was disowned by my parents when I was outed to them. However, that was way back in 1959, i.e., more than half a century ago and it eventually blew over. Parents still sometimes disown their gay children, but it is much less likely to happen now. Even so, I strongly recommend against coming out to one's parents before achieving financial independence unless there is a clear indication that one's parents will be accepting.