I hate Rush

D

deleted105034

They're awful! They have no emotion in their music. When I listen to it, the only thing I feel is "Wow, those words, pitches, and percussive noises are organized in a rhythm." Big deal! I like musicians with soul, not somebody that's just making music for the sake of having something to do.

I hate Neil Peart too, he's like an overblown mechanical juggernaut with no soul or sensitivity in his playing. I heard once that a doctor told him he would die in a year so he spent that year becoming the "best drummer he could." It figures, since his drumming always sounds like someone who just became good at the drums a year ago.

And don't get me started on Geddy Lee, enough with the psuedo-intellectual bullshit lyrics already! If I wanted science-fiction I'd read a Bradbury novel...And his voice? Who wants to hear a grown man sing like a castrati:biggrin1:

Now they have a new album out too...and the local radio station is plugging their shows with tags like "Technical Virtuosity"....Yeah right ummm, wait a minute, what's his name that plays guitar? That's right you don't know because he sucks!

Anyway, I guess that's it, just wanted to state in no uncertain terms that I hate Rush because Rush sucks real bad.:wink:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Personal preference.

Imagine how awful the world would be without it. Actually I don't like their music either, but that's not the point.:biggrin1:

classyron

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
His name is Alex Lifeson, and he is one of the most revered guitarists in rock music. Dude, I appreciate that their music is not for everyone, but that does not make them either untalented or emotionless. Neil Peart is arguably the best active drummer in rock as well. Geddy Lee is as intellectual as Henry Rollins, Greg Graffin, Gord Downie, Tom Waits, Buck 65, Van Morrison, etc. Some people like intellectual lyrics, some don't. Again, this is personal preference and does not make them a bad band. It makes them a band that you do not like. They are wildly talented and have influenced a ridiculous amount of musicians playing today. I am a huge fan of Rush, but even I get tired of the radio hype. I just turn the station or put on a CD. If they bother you that much then you should do the same.

bassdude8

Just Browsing
Media
Geddy Lee does not write the lyrics, Neil writes them and yes to each their own. I have very rarely missed a Rush concert since 1974. I guess it takes a musician to know good ones.

txnrude

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I am a drummer and Neil Pert is God. Go see a Rush concert and tell me they don't have emotion. They are amazing. It is all personal preference though and I understand they are not for everyone as the sound I admit can be quite eclectic.

B_Rivas_Boricua4Ever

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I'll admit that Rush gets on my nerves at times...I can only take so much progressive rock. But they have some good songs. Not that I love them or anything, though they appear to have a very loyal following...

circumstances

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
greatest rock band of all time (and this is also coming from a professional musician). and remember folks, geddy did write the lyrics to "tears" and "different strings!" :D :D :D

yongdo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I love Rush!

and

It's fine that you hate them.

I hate alot of things in the world too: asparagus, "Little Miss Sunshine", phoney people, Master P,... on and on...

But, what's the point of me starting an I hate asparagus thread? I just make it a point to avoid the nasty vegetable.

ETA123

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I don't hate them, and they are far from untalented, in fact they're quite good at what they do.

But, I'm not a fan either.

The problem with Rush, in my opinion, is that the best word I can find to describe their music (both live and in studio) is antiseptic. It's too clean, too precise. Listening to them play, while impressive from a strictly technical point of view, leaves me wanting something. There is little to no room for improvisation or change in a Rush concert or song (as evidenced by the almost orchestral arrangements of Neals drum solos).

I prefer my music with a little more room for jamming or improvisation (this could be anything from bluegrass to the Grateful Dead to a plethora of small local bands I've heard or seen over the years).

I'm not going to say that any of them are better than Rush, just different, and, to my tastes, more enjoyable.

Rush isn't a bad band, they're just too "tight" for my tastes, I like a little more looseness and flexibility.

Big Dreamer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm with you, T-Bone. I think we should have more intellectually stimulating and musically talented bands like Creed and Nickelback.

I once accidentally heard a Nickleback song on the radio a while back.

Doctor says the brain cells it killed ain't comin' back no time soon. Damn Nickleback.