I have a question for our British friends.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Funny, I wouldn't have pegged you as a Loyalist, but a free, proud Canadian.
Which I am, Max. With English, Irish and Scottish ancestry. And, just maybe, a soupcon of Cherokee.
If only. *sigh* Do us a favor, if ya'll come back, burn down the Capitol, or maybe the Supreme Court.
Better yet, the Pentagon.

Burning down the White House kinda misses the mark.
If I had moved, oh, three years ago, I would have burned down Number One Observatory Circle.

The Royal Regiment of Wales
"What was the 41st Foot's involvement in the Anglo-American war of 1812-1814?

The Anglo-American War of 1812-1814 saw the 41st Foot serving in Canada. Two private soldiers, Hancock and Dean, were specially commended in the General Orders for their valour at the opening encounters of the war. The General Commanding later described the 41st as 'an uncommonly fine regiment'. The 41st saw arduous campaigning during this period and over 100 men were seconded to serve as ship's crew in the naval ships and saw action in the Battle of the Lakes. This war saw the Battle Honours, Detroit, Queenstown, Miami and Niagara won by the 41st. Also of note is the fact that the Welch Regiment Museum holds the US National Color of the 4th American Infantry, the only one in British hands."

My bold, and you ain't getting it back, Dandies.
We don't begrudge you long ago moments in the sun, Drifter.
But soooooo long ago.:cool:
"F" HuhHuhHuqstar :wink:
Hope springs eternal.
;-)
I'm English meself. :wink:
So no excuses, jollster.
Ddua asgre.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Which I am, Max. With English, Irish and Scottish ancestry. And, just maybe, a soupcon of Cherokee.
Cherokee's some good blood, but I didn't realize they measured in soupcons.

If I had moved, oh, three years ago, I would have burned down Number One Observatory Circle.
Better to toss a bunker buster or two down into the secret undergroud lair,

or as Georgie likes to call it, their playroom.

arktrucker

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I also have a question for our British friends. I am hooked on watching the Lark's Rise To Candleford series. I am on season 2 and so far my favorite characters are Twister, Minnie, and Laura's father.

Am I a hopless sentimental sap? Or does everyone see bucolic fin de siecle charm in this series?

LRTC is one of our favorites. My partner is all up in Laura's father. The episode when he was put to bed for injuring his back was an especially fun one looking for any VPL. I love Dorcas and Minnie. I've loved Julia Sawhala since her days on AbFab as Saffron. I've always thought Alfie was a cutie with his major dimples. Last week, there was a little hint of a dick when he was walking to the next town to win his woman over.

smudgey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
On the London Underground it varies. However there is one strict rule: if you're not going to walk up or down the moving escalator, then STAND ON THE RIGHT. People in a hurry will then pass you on the left (there are always people in a hurry in London).

This confused me a great deal when I recently travelled to London, as it's the opposite in Australia. I figured because we both drive on the same side of the road, the overtaking side on escalators/stairs would be the same. Seems I help up quite a few of those hurrying Londoners you mentioned!

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
This confused me a great deal when I recently travelled to London, as it's the opposite in Australia. I figured because we both drive on the same side of the road, the overtaking side on escalators/stairs would be the same. Seems I help up quite a few of those hurrying Londoners you mentioned!

I got confused by this in London too.

Nottswanker

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Like most things in the UK, near enough all traffic movement (Motor, Pedestrian, etc), is kept to the left, but you will find in some cases this is not followed.

EG when the layout of a supermarket gives you no alternative but to reverse this, like Morrisons in Bulwell, Nottingham, as it's been built back to front (Main entrance is on the right of the store, not the more commonly found left), compared to most of their sites, and is also backed up by their staff when I asked them, and one said all stores follow a certain layout, but this one site has to do the plans in reverse near enough.
I think having the entrance on the right is more common with Morrisons. I can think of two other East Midlands branches that run right to left, and the Leeds one too. Perhaps something to do with the fact that many of their branches have been around for far longer than most branches of Tesco, Sainsburys or Waitrose? Unlike their competitors, who modernised in the 80s, many of their branches date back some 50 years to the early days of self service supermarkets in the UK when they were more closely modelled after stores in the USA.

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think having the entrance on the right is more common with Morrisons. I can think of two other East Midlands branches that run right to left, and the Leeds one too. Perhaps something to do with the fact that many of their branches have been around for far longer than most branches of Tesco, Sainsburys or Waitrose? Unlike their competitors, who modernised in the 80s, many of their branches date back some 50 years to the early days of self service supermarkets in the UK when they were more closely modelled after stores in the USA.

I concur with Mr Wanker. :smile: