I have a resolution

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
This year I have a resolution. I've never had a "six pack." I've had kind of decent abs for someone who doesn't focus on abs. More specifically, I've never had a belly, and my waist size hasn't changed since I was 19 or 20 years old.

I'm very close to being 50 years old.

This year I want to get some truly visible abs. Not the kind I have to flex to see. It probably means I'll have to watch what I eat, more than anything else.

ARTYBOLLOX

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Do you enjoy swimming or running? Healthy diet and some exercise is the key to getting a healthier physique. Best of luck with your goal.

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I don't really enjoy running. Probably because I always push too hard, and should ease up a little. Swimming? I wish. I try and try and try every summer. For years, I try every summer. I sink. Like. A. Brick. Swimming one length leaves me sucking air like I just sprinted 400m. Maybe I'll take lessons.

Reactions: Betty_Cocker

pwrdick

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Based on your photos, you've already got great definition in your abs. I am sure that a trainer can give you specific tips to increase it further. But I suspect that your thin layer of fat over your abs hide an already-present and nicely developed 6 pack.

Photograph sessions with well-built guys rely heavily on the models not drinking much before the shoot, and the photographer will also direct the model to flex their muscles for greatest definition. These models probably look a LOT like you do already without these last photographic tricks. So relax and keep everything into perspective. Congratulations on having an awesome body, buddy!

sangheili90

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't really enjoy running. Probably because I always push too hard, and should ease up a little. Swimming? I wish. I try and try and try every summer. For years, I try every summer. I sink. Like. A. Brick. Swimming one length leaves me sucking air like I just sprinted 400m. Maybe I'll take lessons.

Definitely take lessons. I started swimming a little over 2 years ago and I absolutely love it, serves as my go to for aerobic conditioning work. I only utilize the breastroke, as there is virtually no risk of injuring your shoulders or creating hyper mobility of that joint.

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Based on your photos, you've already got great definition in your abs. I am sure that a trainer can give you specific tips to increase it further. But I suspect that your thin layer of fat over your abs hide an already-present and nicely developed 6 pack.

Photograph sessions with well-built guys rely heavily on the models not drinking much before the shoot, and the photographer will also direct the model to flex their muscles for greatest definition. These models probably look a LOT like you do already without these last photographic tricks. So relax and keep everything into perspective. Congratulations on having an awesome body, buddy!

Oh, stop it! You're embarrassing me. o_O

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I've done crunches upon crunches upon crunches. I've come to the conclusion that the only way to show my abz is to take the advice from @swoon . The problem is a) maintaining enough calories to keep developing muscle and strength, and b) I tend to lose weight everywhere but that little pad right in front.

Reactions: 950483

montyanon

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I'm the same way. But check out my pics. You'll see what difference a few pounds can make. I don't have rippling abs, but I'm an older guy and I got my leanest with diet changes. Abs are made in the kitchen, they say, and I believe it. For my body, it's not about maintaining enough calories to keep developing, it's about eating enough protein and cutting carbs. It's a question of how long you can keep eating grilled chicken and vegetables!

Jjz1109

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I've done crunches upon crunches upon crunches. I've come to the conclusion that the only way to show my abz is to take the advice from @swoon . The problem is a) maintaining enough calories to keep developing muscle and strength, and b) I tend to lose weight everywhere but that little pad right in front.

Do you drink beer? Lots of guys, myself included, see results when you cut the beer out. :mad:

Reactions: twoton and 950483

sangheili90

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
[
Not enough to make a difference. I go a few months at a time without drinking any.

I think focusing on a less superficial goal might lead to getting into better habits that last a life time, most people that set these types of goals like "get a sick pack" or "get a summer beach body in 12 weeks" drop out over time due to unrealistic expectations and/or because they follow some nutrition or exercise plan that cannot be maintained in the long run.

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
[

I think focusing on a less superficial goal might lead to getting into better habits that last a life time, most people that set these types of goals like "get a sick pack" or "get a summer beach body in 12 weeks" drop out over time due to unrealistic expectations and/or because they follow some nutrition or exercise plan that cannot be maintained in the long run.

I totally agree. And for most people, I'd recommend advice like yours. In my case, I've always exercised, always been active, always ate fairly well, was never overweight, never smoked, etc. It's just this once I'd like to rock the abz before it's too late.

pwrdick

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
It's great to set goals and aspirations. And there's really no downside for striving for yours as long as you really don't go anorexic. However, it is also good to have a good sense of where you really are right now compared to what you are striving for. Try this - find a good photographer who has good expertise in figure photography shoots and line up a photo session with him/her. You might want to start by checking local artists who are listed ModelMayhem (http://www.modelmayhem.com/) and who's portfolio has a good representation of male figure models in the poses you'd like to see yourself in (you might want to consider some erotic ones!). You'll see what great lighting, posing direction and a good photographer can do (without editing/photoshop) on you and I have a sense you'll be very proud of what comes out. There's little downside and having a photo record of where you are right now could be useful to compare yourself to. With your physique, some photographers might offer to use you for a model in exchange for prints, and some of the prints might make a sexy gift to someone special.

Is it worth it if you'd have to achieve and then maintain an unhealthily low amount of body fat? It's a miserable existence. Women who constantly worry about their weight are very unhappy people, with gaunt, pinched faces, and no sense of humour. I don't think men should have to also feel the same kind of insecurities and self-loathing about their appearance. That's not progress.

Reactions: twoton
D

deleted847535

welcome to fifty and the unending fight to drop that last 5 to make the abs pop.
yup it is diet at this point. lean proteins, good carbs, and some calorie burning workouts. if you do not like running try Erging (the indoor rowing machines) watch some videos on how to do it with good form, (concept 2 makes them and has some good ones) and then go to town.
do not stress about crunches and sit ups, do total core workout stuff, planks, side planks, leg lifts, don't just focus on the gut, use the whole trunk.
good luck and have fun with it.

Reactions: marinera and twoton

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
welcome to fifty and the unending fight to drop that last 5 to make the abs pop.
yup it is diet at this point. lean proteins, good carbs, and some calorie burning workouts. if you do not like running try Erging (the indoor rowing machines) watch some videos on how to do it with good form, (concept 2 makes them and has some good ones) and then go to town.
do not stress about crunches and sit ups, do total core workout stuff, planks, side planks, leg lifts, don't just focus on the gut, use the whole trunk.
good luck and have fun with it.

One step ahead of ya! I rowed in college and have a C2 at home. I haven't used it in a few years on account of a couple herniated discs and I'm worried it might aggravate my back.

Who am I kidding? I just haven't gotten around to using the damn thing in years.

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Is it worth it if you'd have to achieve and then maintain an unhealthily low amount of body fat? It's a miserable existence. Women who constantly worry about their weight are very unhappy people, with gaunt, pinched faces, and no sense of humour. I don't think men should have to also feel the same kind of insecurities and self-loathing about their appearance. That's not progress.

There's always lipo, I suppose......:D