I have an interview in Tampa today...

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
I can probably go a couple more weeks. It's just the fact of driving all the way out there again.
I'm hoping I'll get a call between now and then saying I got the ART Inspector job I interviewed for yesterday.

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
That pittance for only a temp position? I'd only take it if there weren't anything else, but if there were, forget it.

That's what I'm thinking. Unfortunately, it's hard to find much around here that pays more than $12/hr starting without a college degree (which I lack, despite $12,000 in student loans) and atleast 2 years of experience in that particular field (which I have in one field, but whenever I asked for $12/hr they acted like I was robbing them).
Man the economy is crappy these days. I applied for 3 dozen jobs before I came here and probably another 30 in the few days I've been here (arrived Sunday morning). Had plenty of interviews, but still nothing has gone through.

B_dumbcow

Experimental Member
Media
That's just over £5.00 an hour in British terms, which is lower than our national minimum wage. In my opinion, you should take this job as a last resort...

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Yeh, we have a pretty shitty minimum wage, and thus shitty wages in general, these days.

i feel ya. i got laid off a few months ago and despite constantly toting my resume around and applying for work (literally anytime i'm not on this site, i'm applying for a job... or sucking a dick). the job market sucks and while i urge you to find something that'll cater to whatever lifestyle you're used to, don't forget that a low paycheck beats no paycheck. my lady-friend mae paid for a house and two cars by flipping burgers and ringing up movie tickets.

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
It's more a matter of making enough to pay my bills and have a little bit left over.... to put towards paying off my bills faster. Unfortunately, $10/hr is the bare minimum I can accept for that, and even then it'll take some fancy balancing.
Still, awesome for her, pulling that off.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It's more a matter of making enough to pay my bills and have a little bit left over.... to put towards paying off my bills faster. Unfortunately, $10/hr is the bare minimum I can accept for that, and even then it'll take some fancy balancing.
Still, awesome for her, pulling that off.

i understand where you're coming from, but the reality of the US is that few people can afford to pay their bills. i don't know how many times my boyfriend and i had to decide "groceries or the light bill?" "pay a deposit for another apartment when the lease is up or use the money for gas to get to work" (essentially choosing between homelessness and not having a job). i know its overwhelming but don't be discouraged if your bills start piling up faster than your paychecks. it's almost inevitable that people in this world today have to dwindle down to literally decided what is the most significant necessity, what is the most basic need that has to be met. good luck to you

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
Yeh, I've been there too. I ended up choosing employed and homeless for a while. Still, my fiance and I moved in with her father so I could use the money freed up from rent to pay down my credit card debts.
Well, I guess I'm going to this interview. Not happy about the idea of settling though, but atleast mapquest's directions to it make sense. Also, maybe I'll get a call about that other job on the way there.

longlegs

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Maybe check in with the company that you had the interview with. That way they will know you are interested and put your name on the table once again. After that, call them once a week. Also, be sure to send a Thank You for the interview to the person who spoke with you. It helped me.

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
I called the agency, and they said that the ART Inspector position is still open. It's just that that particular company is a bit slower than usual to respond. Most of their regular employer clients will get back to them the same or next day, following an interview.
I'll have to discuss the details of it if/when I get the job, but if I do get hired on full time, I may be able to get the medical coverage my fiancee needs without paying out the ass.