I have Herpes!

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
One of other thing Shingles are Herpes Zoster not Simplex.

Naughty, you'll enjoy this: I went to the doc several weeks ago because I had a rash on my back that wouldn't go away. Diagnosis: Pithyriasis rosea. It's a benign rash that occurs in people under the age of 40. They don't know the exact cause. It's not bacterial or fungal, but despite the viral-like symptoms they don't think it's viral. When the doc pulled out the PDR and showed it to me, it was listed under Herpes Simplex 7. :eek: Apparently, that's the miscellaneous category for any rash, viral or not. Still freaked me out a bit when I read that. She told me it would disappear on its own and gave me a hydrocortisone cream to rub on it. All gone now. Yay.

Now I feel like like a petri dish. :tongue:

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i get cold sores all the time after i've been sick. it seems like if i'm in any way immunosuppressed (stress, sickness, etc.) i get one. the good thing is that my husband gets them too so we can still kiss if one of us has one.

i've been hesitant to buy abreva because it's so expensive, but i've heard it works very well. i should probably just get a prescription for one of the other medications from my doctor. if i'm going to work or something like that, i've found that i can cover it enough with makeup and lipstick that it doesn't look too much like an open sore on my face. sort of.

BTW, did you notice i did a small amount of touch up on the offending cold sore in one of the photos of you in my gallery, ms. mercurialbliss? You can still see it but it's a little less noticeable. I've been learning that less is more with retouching.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
so how do you tell a cold sore from a chancre?

as a lay person - I dunno - it is a different virus - or a mouth ulcer (canker) isn't viral - somebody said I wasn't paying attention :redface: . You get this sweet 90% proof medical alcohol for mouth ulcers in Ireland (and elsewhere? probably - haven't had one that needed treating since leaving) - it smells great - I used to get high on the fumes when I was kid :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
i've been hesitant to buy abreva because it's so expensive, but i've heard it works very well. i should probably just get a prescription for one of the other medications from my doctor. if i'm going to work or something like that, i've found that i can cover it enough with makeup and lipstick that it doesn't look too much like an open sore on my face. sort of.
I keep abreva in my purse in case I feel the tingly prodrome sensation so I can abort it. Sometimes I can, sometimes not. It shortens the duration from 7-10 days to around 4-6 for me. I'm sure the effects vary with each individual.
BTW, did you notice i did a small amount of touch up on the offending cold sore in one of the photos of you in my gallery, ms. mercurialbliss? You can still see it but it's a little less noticeable. I've been learning that less is more with retouching.
You did an excellent job, thank you. I was messing around with the healing brush tool and noticed you beat me to the punch. As soon as that side healed, I got another one on the other side two days later. :rolleyes: Hooray. I just want it to go away. :wizard:

as a lay person - I dunno - it is a different virus - or a mouth ulcer (canker) isn't viral - somebody said I wasn't paying attention :redface: . You get this sweet 90% proof medical alcohol for mouth ulcers in Ireland (and elsewhere? probably - haven't had one that needed treating since leaving) - it smells great - I used to get high on the fumes when I was kid :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

Huffing on alcohol for mouth ulcers? I learn something new every day. :biggrin1:

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Simplex 1, that is. Every summer I get one or two cold sores. Does anyone else get them? If so, have you ever tried Valtrex or another anti-viral medication to ward them off or reduce healing time and did it work?
Ouch! Sorry to hear this has happened to you. I have been dealing with this for more years than I would care to remember and the flare-ups are exceedingly random (although stress seems to trigger them). I have never used Valtrex or abreva (although I have thought about it). My two basic methods are--and this is not pretty--first one is to squeeze the area, it seems to release it's poisons from a bleed. (I warned you that it wasn't pretty) and then hold the lip out and let the thing dry. It has about a 75% success rate. Another method has been to disolve an aspirin on the sore--that seems to sort of cauterize the sore and the chemicals of the aspirin seep into the skin. It also alleviates any pain from the sore scraping against a tooth. The disolved aspirin also seems to shorten the length of the outbreak (may be just my imagination--but it does kill any pain).

Years back I used Anbesol which essentially just numbed the pain. Hey, whatever works as long as it isn't fatal or harmful in some other way.

(and do not confuse Anbesol with anbesolMM or a few other products which are not to be injested)

stretcher74

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Stress, Extreme Fatigue or Dietary Imbalance seem to trigger cold sores OR canker sores for me.

Oversupplementing with L-Arginine (an amino acid and NO2 precursor used to promote blood flow to muscle for bodybuilding, or erections) has been claimed by some as a trigger in Herpes Simplex.

**Abreva (Docosanol) topical lotion sort of works and it goes away in a couple of days.
**L-Lysine (another amino acid) tablets seem to help.

There's a theory that an overabundance of L-Arginine over L-Lysine triggers the transcription factors that start Herpes Simplex out out of dormancy and into the replication cycle.

As for canker sores, nobody really seems to know for sure. I gargle with salt water before I go to bed and seems to help. Glad I don't get them very often.

Aphthous ulcer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
I've got one right now inside my mouth right at the point where my gumline meets the inside of my lip. Extremely painful every time I talk or smile or chew...
I think thats a canker sore. I used to get rid of mine quicker by wetting a tip of a q-tip, dipping it in salt, and holding it on the sore. It's usually caused by whitening tooth paste.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I sometimes get a cold sore if I'm stressed out, my friends swear by Zovirax too, however, for me it doesn't do much good, if I apply it (as you're told to) when you get that tingly feeling that means you're getting a cold sore it seems to keep it at a development stage, so it doesn't get really bad but it doesn't seem to progress through it's natural healing course and go. Recently a friend who's a nurse insisted I use it and the damn thing was hanging around for ten days versus it being over and done with in four days without zovirax.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
I also suffer from the occasional cold sore. And also from what may be a different kind of herpes. The cold sores usually are on my lips, and the 'herpes' usually in the area between my bottom lip and my chin.

Now, these 'herpes' aren't exactly like cold sores. They usually are little and look like pimples (white, with puss). I used to get them often when I was little. My mom always used to tell me that I got them from playing in the dirt in Mexico. I don't know if that's true, or just an old wives tale, but I did first get them right after we visited Mexico, when I was very little.

But back to the cold sores. In middle school, a doctor also told me the bit about the virus laying dormant in your cheek/temple area. I didn't believe him, but after reading Mercurialbliss' post about that, I guess it's true!:biggrin:

I luckily haven't gotten flareups that often since that time in middle school. I think the last time I had a cold sore was two years ago or so. And I can't even remember the last time I had those 'herpes.' Probably more than ten years now.

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
NIC wrote:

I've got one right now inside my mouth right at the point where my gumline meets the inside of my lip. Extremely painful every time I talk or smile or chew...

That sounds like it might be an aphthous ulcer. They are little craters that open up inside the mouth and really sting. They are not communicable but seem to be related to Vitamin B status, especially B12. If I get them bad to the point where I'm getting them faster than they are healing, a B12 shot clears them up overnight.
Dave

jakeatolla

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
When I was 18 I had a mild case of shingles on my legs. Mt doctor informed me that they were related to Herpes. So I went home and proudly anounced to my folks that I had Herpes. They were not
impressed.:rolleyes:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media