I have to clear this up... !

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Ralexx, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Ralexx

Ralexx Member

I was asked why do I spell Roumania and not Romania or Rumania, when in English, my native country's name is Romania. I know. But for the last 10 years, world press made idiotic confusions between Romanians and Rroma people (the Gypsies), stating often - in a usual and complete ignorance - that Romania is the country of the Gypsies. This colossal stupidity continued for years, no matter the corrections brought. [It's an error as famous as the CNN weather map from 1998, when, in Europe, the Czech Republic was labelled Switzerland and Switzerland - the Czech Republic, with big, white letters (nothing affected more CNN's prestige in the Old Continent than this proof of ignorance)].

"România" - in my native tongue - comes from Terra Romana, Land of Rome, name destined to remember that Ro(u)manians are the single Latin nation in Central-Eastern Europe. Rumania is the first English denomination given to my country in the 1860s, followed by Roumania (a diplomatic and more refined noun moulded on the French "Roumanie"), simplified in the 1960s to Romania. But Romania's meaning derailed when the Gypsies demanded a politically correct name like "Rroma" - and, as we have a large Gypsy minority here - confusion was only a step ahead.
    Therefore, in December 2001, the Academy decided to change the official English name from Romania to Roumania and promote it as such.

Raal Lexxikon

2. jonb

Gold Member

You should see the idiocy spread here: I have a cousin who hates it when the press refers to all Sioux as Lakota; before the Indian wars, the Lakota were a minority. (Think about it: There's a North and South DAKOTA, Boas and Deloria referred to the language as DAKOTA...Geez, I wonder who the majority were.) And someone a couple years ago connected the Cree to the Jomon. How? Because Innu sounds so much like Ainu. (Labrador's on the wrong side of Canada, Magellan.) And so many whites who find out they have a distant Indian ancestor are caling themselves Metis, even though Metis are descended from French traders.

3. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: Ok, so, Jonb, since you bring it up - question for you:

Our local high school here...their mascots is "Indians".

Now - that said, I realize that the mistaken name for Native Americans comes from the fact that Christopher Columbus thought he was, in fact, in India - but as a member of a tribe, does it offend you when they are used in this way?

Speaking only for my little town - there is no caricature of a Native American as their symbol, but that is their name. Every year it comes up before the school board. Every year they vote it down and the name remains. One woman last year said "We might as well call the town 'Wild Rice' then" - as that is the meaning of the name of our town in the tongue of the Native Americans of our part of Wisconsin.

So, as a Lakota, and a Native American, does this use of your ancestry offend you? Just asking..

7x6&C

4. jonb

Gold Member

I never understood this; India at the time was called Hindustan. Most of us find political correctness offensive.

It depends on how the mascot evolves. Originally, the Cleveland Indians were so named because an MVP happened to be Indian (At the turn of the century, all the famous athletes were Indian.); fast-forward 60 years, he was forgotten, and Chief Wahoo was born. Also, there's the psychological approach: Eight of the ten most popular mascots are all predatory animals. The other two are Indians and warriors, and by warriors I don't mean the Army.

5. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: Well, my understanding is that there used to be a caricature (a la Chief Wahoo) but it went by the wayside in the 70s...

Primarily I think it evolved from the fact that this part of Wisconsin was settled by Native Americans originally - and the French next, and then Norwegians and Germans...as one can see in our place names:

Eau Claire (F)
    Elk Mound (NA)
    Prairie du Chien (F)
    LaCrosse (F)
    Osseo (N)
    Trempeleau (F)
    Menomonie (NA)
    Wausau (NA)

So it was intended to be respectful to the people who settled the area....

Anyway - this seemed like a good thread for a discussion like this - I have always been interested in what those who are being "slighted" (quotes because it is a subjective term) think of the idea.  Personally I know the community here loves it...because history is quite important here.

7x6&C

6. jonb

Gold Member

Thanks. Also, we remember how Eichmann would do things like celebrate Yom Kippur for fun. For some reason, we're suspicious of such trends.

7. jay_too

jay_too New Member

jonb..

perhaps, the reason we name sports teams indians, braves, warriors, etc. is to empower them strength, bravery, and stoicism and to honor a noble culture. it is a mark of respect...i believe.

jay

8. jonb

Gold Member

How can it be respect when those you're trying to honor say it's demeaning?

9. jay_too

jay_too New Member

jonb..

maybe "is" should have been "was." wasps probably need some sensitivity training...sorry.

jay

10. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: jonb -

You have a point about Eichmann - the line for me, personally, comes when caricatures or such come into the picture.

Around the logo (which is an "M", the first letter of the town I live in) are the words "Honor, Bravery, Endurance, Strength" in a circle. To me, I find this to be attempting to honor the original settlers of this piece of land (including the approx 100' x 80' part of it I own..well, the bank owns 96% of it)...

Chief Wahoo, on the other hand...or the Atlanta Braves "chopping"...that, IMO, is demeaning.

7x6&C

11. jonb

Gold Member

Everyone agrees Wahoo's demeaning with his pervert look and the Braves' tomahawk chop always looked like a circle jerk to me.

There are of course worse things; I'd hate to live in Neah Bay right now. "I refuse to think of you as human." Odd thing for a biocentrist to say, eh?

12. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

By the time everybody finishes getting his or her feelings hurt we won't have anything left but numbers:  Team #1, Team #2, etc.

But then Team #433 will have its feelings hurt because it feels put out at not being #1, so they'll try the alphabet: Team A, Team B, etc.

And colors?  Don't wear colors because they might remind somebody of a bad dream and hurt their feelings.

Uniforms?  Forget it.  Uniforms hurt peoples' feelings because bad guys wore uniforms in the past.

When is this nonsense supposed to end?  

Let's redirect our concerns to more important things like whether basketball players are being racist by wearing baggy shorts.

Pecker

13. jonb

Gold Member

Whoa, THAT'S a slippery slope fallacy. So bulldogs are offended by mascots, you're saying? That's the problem with the mascots, the implied polygenesis.

14. Imported

Gold Member

JustAnNdnChick: Being navajo i figure i'll add my opinion on here. its hard enough trying to get people to fully understand that we don't all live in tipis and that we can't help you find that great great grandma who happens to be a "Cherokee princess" we all want to be taken serious. you don't see teams called the crackers, jews or N*ggers, cause god forbid if there was(can we say lawsuit time if there was). The shit would hit the fan .. But its ok to have team names after us even when we say its offensive?.. i wonder when people are going to realise that we are still here and that we are human beings..

15. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

jaindnc:

I don't understand how the Washington Redskins or the Atlanta Braves make you less of a human being.

I'd be more concerned that by avoiding any mention of this country's heritage you'd completely disappear!

16. Imported

Gold Member

JustAnNdnChick: Pecker
    And you feel that by them making mascots and have team names after us helps keep our heritage alive??
    I don't need a team mascot to help keep my heritage from totally disappearing.we keep it alive by teaching our children ..Those stereotypical faces that they use for mascots are degrading cause the majority of us don't look that way. EX. huge noses, big lips and ears..How is stereotyping us as cartoon characters helping?? If you want to help try getting your towns to change their history books . Instead of saying back when indians USED to live here , how about teaching them that there are many, many of us still alive as is our language and traditons..

[quote author=Pecker link=board=99;num=1054549627;start=0#14 date=07/24/03 at 08:03:19]jaindnc:

I don't understand how the Washington Redskins or the Atlanta Braves make you less of a human being.

I'd be more concerned that by avoiding any mention of this country's heritage you'd completely disappear![/quote]

17. Imported

Gold Member

ApacheAngel: As you may have guessed i'm apache and my personal experince with this has not been offended as i know many others that grew up with thier own rez "reservation" schools haveing simular mascots but i also think it is the person's right to feel offended or not offended for what ever reason and i do know of other ndn's "indian's" that have been offended by it. I personaly think there is alot more going on in the ndn comunity that warrent attention and questioning than just scrutinizeing the non-ndn communitys only link to a nation that they are not a part of themselves( obviousely im not without my opinion :D) oh and by the way pecker if the mascot's where banned tomorrow it would not mean oblivion for the ndn race, we wouldnt just disapear off the face of the earth like some mythical fairies........we would still be alive and still be hearing the same thing we do today "OMG your a real live ndn" LOL

18. jonb

Gold Member

Alice Fletcher was also concerned about if we'd disappear, then she almost caused it with her solution; you might remember the Dawes Act from history class. To give you an idea of the results, in NDN country, from the day it was passed to the day it was repealed, every day was October 24, 1929. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Draft saved Draft deleted