I just got an external hard drive...can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Flashy, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Flashy

Gold Member

I just bought a Western Digital My Book Home Edition external hard drive and hooked it up to my PC...

i am about to start saving stuff from my hard drive to that drive...

there are virtually no instructions, but i just wanted to make sure i am not screwing this up...how exactly do you move your stuff from the hard drive to the external?

is it as simple as copying a file folder from my C drive, and pasting it/dropping it into the K;Drive (WD External drive)? i just did that, and it now shows up in the K Drive file menu just the same...but then what do i do? do i delete the folder from my C Drive and that is it, voila, i have freed up that space on my C:Drive?

I am hesitant to delete anything important on the C:Drive until i have "mastered" this...anyone use the WD external drive that can offer some advice?

thanks

2. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

The same as an USB-stick

3. kjguy

kjguy Well-Known Member

Albums:
    I just bought one too, and really it is pretty simple. Just plug it in and move stuff over.

4. Flashy

Gold Member

you are dealing with a computer idiot here...i have no clue what a USB stick is :redface:

5. Flashy

Gold Member

thanks that's what i thought...i am just copying and pasting and it appears to be working...

so if my computer crashes (hypothetically) and all this is on the external, all my stuff will be safe, ideally?

6. D_Jared Padalicki

Well I know, an USB-stick is something to put files on to transport it to another computer ( http://dureco.web-log.nl/photos/uncategorized/usbstick.jpg ) but it is small, an external drive is bigger. But it has the same principal, so NO IDIOT here.

7. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'll assume we're talking Windows here...

Use care to move only "user" files and folders... documents, pictures, etc... these are generally located in the "My Documents" folder, although they can be just about anywhere on the C: drive.

Moving "application" files and folders would be ill-advised... these are generally found in the "Program Files" and "Windows" folders.

And yes, adding an external drive will spread the risk, however bear in mind that it too can fail and that you should back up critical files on something more permanent like CD or DVD.

8. Flashy

Gold Member

i did not mean you were an idiot, i meant i was a computer idiot :smile:

9. Flashy

Gold Member

thanks VeeP...yes i am only moving vids, pics and songs...no application type files or absolutely anything like that.

can i backup things to CD/DVD from the K Drive/external drive the same way i would from my normal C drive?

10. D_Jared Padalicki

Hahahaha, I see :tongue:

11. pym

pym New Member

Hey Flashy, I don't have an external hard-drive{yet} but it sounds like what your doing is correct. Redirect desired files from one drive to the other. In your case C to K{?}. Afterwards for good measure i would run some maintenance's on the C drive{hard-drive} like Window Washer utility, Virus checks,Anti-spyware, and most especially DE-Frag the drive also after transfering all the files off of it. From what i understand all the original files are still 'GHOSTED' on the C-drive even after transfering the files away, untill you run the DE-FRAG utility. Anybody else that is more computer nerdy than me can validate or de-bunk my claim about this.... Regards,PYM

12. Flashy

Gold Member

thanks Pym...

i think i am going leave the ghosts alone lol...so far it looks good, but i am too afraid to do anything more than transfer them at the moment :scared1:

13. pym

pym New Member

Yeah, first things first. You have probably got the entire recorded history of smutty films clogging up your 'DIGITAL PIPES' to clear away:biggrin1:, at least from what i've seen on this site:smokin:.

14. Flashy

Gold Member

actually my main concern is transferring over the 18 Compilations, cause they are clogging up at least 6 gigs of space, and i think having less room has been contributing to the problems i have been having saving and compressing the comps...

so this will hopefully change things for the better :biggrin1:

15. pym

pym New Member

Don't worry too much about all your COMPS, i guarentee you that they are saved on a WHOLE bunch of hard-drives around these here parts.....Oh yeah! Good luck with your new toy.

16. Flashy

Gold Member

true...i kind of hoped people had saved some of them, plus they are still accessible on MEga...but i just couldn't save and compress the new ones i was making till i could clear some space...

now it should be much easier :biggrin1:

17. ohhhey

ohhhey Member

Albums:
    What you described is exactly right. The external hard drive is exactly the same as the one inside your computer in regards to how you use it. No backup method is completely safe though, unfortunately the external hard drive will eventually die.

18. Flashy

Gold Member

how long are they normally good for??? :eek:

19. ohhhey

ohhhey Member

Albums:
    There's really no way of saying, it could last 20 years or 6 months. If you have really really important stuff, the best way is to have it in two or more locations. The chances of things dying at the same time are very slim, so when one dies you replace it and put everything back onto it from the other backup.

20. Flashy

Gold Member

Gotcha..

the one i bought is a 1 TB drive...

do you think i should get another, significantly smaller one, just in case to have double back-up?

Draft saved Draft deleted