I just got an external hard drive...can anyone help?

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I guess you could... or wait a year for the price to drop and buy another 1TB.

good point...I'll probably wait a few months and then grab a 500 gig, or something...

but the size and the price i assume will be dropping pretty quickly like most technology things...

at the same time i bought the exyternal hard drive today, i also got a brand new Samsung 22 inch LCD wide screen Flat panel monitor for $239...so considering i got my now replaced 17" samsung flat panel regular LCD, 4 years ago for probably $289, i suppose it shows patience is a virtue :smile:

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The easiest way is to create a folder where all the videos (or another one for pics) that are gonna be moved go into. Then right click on it and use "send to" and select the drive of your external drive. After it has moved you can easily delete the folder.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And yes, adding an external drive will spread the risk, however bear in mind that it too can fail and that you should back up critical files on something more permanent like CD or DVD.

I had an external hard drive fail. I'm not sure that it was even out of warranty. But if a failed drive contains (ahem) "sensitive information" that you don't want other people to see, you may not want to entrust your drive to someone else. That was the case with me, so I just took the drive apart and messed it up so that nobody who found it could get anything out of it and threw it away and bought another.

If you have valuable files that you are storing exclusively on the external drive and not also on your computer, I would recommend getting a second external drive to back up the first one.

Edited to add: These were drives of 100 to 200 GB, not these terabyte things.