I just hate it when a guy calls me bro...

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Every English speaking "str8" guy I've had sex with in the past 10 years or so, has used "bro" as kind of an endearment. Bro definitely sets off my gaydar. Dude not so much.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I can't explain it, but both "bro" and "dude" make my hackles rise. In certain contexts, and combined with certain kinds of sentiment they will make me hate the person who uses them towards me. I don't think they're particularly straight though, I mean plenty of "straight acting" gay guys use them as part of the extremely false hetero-drag they perform to signify how "normal" they are and as part of their hook-up routine. Actually excessive use of them always has my gaydar bleeping like crazy.

Dude, wasn't it, like, that Shakespeare dude who said that "generalizations are heinous"?

Dude?

Reactions: baddestgirlie5

Boobalaa

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude..that was raaaaaaaad...dddddddduuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuddddddddddddeeeeeeeeeeee..aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwsssuuumeee..dddddduuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuddddddddddeeeeeeeee

Media
I can't explain it, but both "bro" and "dude" make my hackles rise. In certain contexts, and combined with certain kinds of sentiment they will make me hate the person who uses them towards me. I don't think they're particularly straight though, I mean plenty of "straight acting" gay guys use them as part of the extremely false hetero-drag they perform to signify how "normal" they are and as part of their hook-up routine. Actually excessive use of them always has my gaydar bleeping like crazy.

I'm going to agree with you on this one. The biggest dork I know uses both of them. It just makes him sound even more stupid.

accemb

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Even my brother and I do not call each other 'bro', and I don't use, nor do any of my friends.

"Dude" to me, sounds like the guy saying it never got past "Good Times at Ridgemont High" back in the 1980s.

lopo2000

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I like it. What's wrong with str8 terms?!

Are you talkin about in sexual situations, or just generally?

Ok, what makes me hate it is this...

I find a guy I'm attracted to. I am really hoping that he's gay. In my culture, usually gays don't call each other 'bro', and when that guy I'm attracted to calls me 'bro', I am turned off. It makes the guy sounds sooo straight and it kills the mood.

That reminds me, I hate being called "bud".

In Australia, it's quite common for a man to be called "mate" by a total stranger - that gets on my nerves.

Wow, you're even stricter than me...

That's one way of seeing it, but I don't know if it's applicable to my culture.

Every English speaking "str8" guy I've had sex with in the past 10 years or so, has used "bro" as kind of an endearment. Bro definitely sets off my gaydar. Dude not so much.

Wow, another confirmation. I should really look into this.

Even my brother and I do not call each other 'bro', and I don't use, nor do any of my friends.

Me too, we have our own name to call, but 'bro' is usually used by a friend who has yet known us so, they end up calling by the usual, 'bro'.

By the way, any gay Turk here who can confirm if 'bro' is used widely?

LookingCurious

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Since I moved to Richmond, VA (a few years ago) I noticed a lot of men address other men as "guy". As in, "Hey, guy, how are you?" or "How are you, guy?" As if my name is "Guy". I'm not sure if thats common elsewhere but it certainly isn't common where I grew up and it still strikes me as extremely strange. I don't think I could ever call someone else just "guy". This is among straight and gay guys so its definitely not a hetero vs homo thing.

One thing that I have noticed is a lot of older gay guys refer to other guys as "bud". I'm not a fan of being called bud.

lopo2000

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Since I moved to Richmond, VA (a few years ago) I noticed a lot of men address other men as "guy". As in, "Hey, guy, how are you?" or "How are you, guy?" As if my name is "Guy". I'm not sure if thats common elsewhere but it certainly isn't common where I grew up and it still strikes me as extremely strange. I don't think I could ever call someone else just "guy". This is among straight and gay guys so its definitely not a hetero vs homo thing.

One thing that I have noticed is a lot of older gay guys refer to other guys as "bud". I'm not a fan of being called bud.

I have never heard that too. I don't think it's used in my place.

But I'm okay with bud though...

A

AM_092

I totally agree. I hate hearing straight guys calling each other "bro" and "cuz". Totally eeks me out...

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well, I do...
Ok, what makes me hate it is this...

I find a guy I'm attracted to. I am really hoping that he's gay. In my culture, usually gays don't call each other 'bro', and when that guy I'm attracted to calls me 'bro', I am turned off. It makes the guy sounds sooo straight and it kills the mood.
My point is, get over it. There's no point getting worked up about something so trite and inconsequential. The word has become a staple in modern vernacular, and is so widely used by people of any social caste, sexual orientation or even gender, so really, there isn't any generalisation you can, or should be making from the use of 'bro'. It is what it is. If you don't like it, don't use it. Who gives a fuck.

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
To me, being called bro is a term of endearment. It's a turn on for me. I like dude, guy, bud. They're fine. I worry if people call me "sir" too much. (Am I really that old?!)

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
i hate the "bro" term too, and being from california i hear it all the damn time.

i think i really started hating it more when my ex referred to every male he encountered as "bro." even when we were in mexico he stopped to ask an old man for directions and opened with, "excuse me bro." like the old mexican man would've understood what he was saying! ughhhhh!!!

lopo2000

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My point is, get over it. There's no point getting worked up about something so trite and inconsequential. The word has become a staple in modern vernacular, and is so widely used by people of any social caste, sexual orientation or even gender, so really, there isn't any generalisation you can, or should be making from the use of 'bro'. It is what it is. If you don't like it, don't use it. Who gives a fuck.

Oh my, as I said, I do, I do, and I do! I give a fucking fucked fuck about it! And I won't get over it.

To me, being called bro is a term of endearment. It's a turn on for me. I like dude, guy, bud. They're fine. I worry if people call me "sir" too much. (Am I really that old?!)

For some people it can sound nice. I like bud too, it sounds friendlier.

i hate the "bro" term too, and being from california i hear it all the damn time.

i think i really started hating it more when my ex referred to every male he encountered as "bro." even when we were in mexico he stopped to ask an old man for directions and opened with, "excuse me bro." like the old mexican man would've understood what he was saying! ughhhhh!!!

Lol, well, we're on the same side then. Maybe 'bro' is very overrated, I don't know.

D_Jurgen Klitgaard

Account Disabled
Media

Well there goes my plan to start calling everybody bro. :cool: