I just hate it when a guy calls me bro...

cheeseloglover

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm in total agreement. Bro is what frat douches call each other. I'm not a frat bro-bag. I don't want to be included in your frat douche circle.

Dude and man are fine (because The Dude uses them and I can abide by that).

I hate it even more when a girl calls me bro. :wink::biggrin1:

But dude and mate are fine. :p

Irish

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Johns Island (South Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I sometimes call my brother "bro."
I typically call my friends "man."
I typically refer to my friends as "my buddy So-And-So."

The only time I ever consider orientation baked into those terms are when... well... when "bros" (mostly frat guys) say it. And I feel like it is overtly straight and covertly gay.

For example.

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
On a (fairly) recent season of The Amazing Race, one of the teams was two basketball players. They weren't a couple but they called each other 'baby' and seemed quite comfortable with it. They were sexy as hell so I fantasized that they were actually calling me 'baby' and the task was to DP me.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I agree "bro" makes me a little queasy...something a little too chummy about it, with the possible exception being that you really are my "bro" (maybe).....hmmm...

"Man" can be used as either an expression of relief ("Man, that was a fuckin' close call, eh?") or sometimes when waxing quite serious ("C'mon, man, you can't be serious.")

Whereas "guy" has a lighter feel to it... with almost a hint of compassion: ("Guy, need some help?" or "Guy, take a breather.")

I like to toss in an occasional "mate" to add emphasis to irony or sarcasm. But "DEWD"!! That's strictly for laffs. "DEEEEEEEEWD" You almost lost yer ASSS on that one!!!"

"Holmes" or "homie" is way too dated,imo, but not nearly so as "jack".

And I know enough that "ese" is off limits to anyone non-Hispanic. I've read where it has be used like "homie" or "bro" among Hispanics, but (and correct me if I'm wrong) I sense that "ese" applied to anyone not Hispanic is equivalent to "you dumb f**k"; (to which someone undoubtedly will reply, "You got that right, ese.") :cool:

Last edited:

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
"Holmes" or "homie" is way too dated,imo, but not nearly so as "jack".

...or 'cock' - that's REALLY dated!

I don't have a problem with 'homie' if the person saying it is black or latino, but when I hear a white guy say it, it's so cringe-worthy. There's nothing more puke-inducing than hearing some white frat-boy trying to sound 'street' and saying, "I'm just chilling with my homies."

lopo2000

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If I have a partner, I'd really like him to not call me bro... or mate, or dude, for that matter, I'd like him to call me baby or something...

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
My housemate (who is pushing into his mid-50s) uses "bro" and "dude" way too much; as with his Mohawk dyed blue-black, it's a sign of severely arrested development and yet another confirmation of my belief that he's a reasonably-high functioning retard with an IQ hovering around 80.

And don't get me started on "LOL" :rolleyes: