Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Rather than hijack willow78's "Tell A Celebrity To FUCK OFF!" thread I'm starting this one. You don't have to read it if you don't want to.

I don't know about you but I really hate those fucking little logos that the TV stations put in the corner of the screen. I know what channel I'm watching. I don't need you to tell me. And if I don't know I'll wait until there's a commercial to find out. It's not like there's any shortage of them. Especially if it's the Disney Channel since 99% of their commercials are for the Disney Channel. And if you are going to put up one don't leave it on for the entire show. After the first few minutes of seeing the SYFY Channel's logo I'm pretty sure I'm watching the SYFY Channel. I've even seen some that are big enough that they block out a good portion of a caption on the bottom of the screen. Great. I have no idea what the Russian captain on Hunt for Red October was saying but I know I'm watching USA Network.

And while you're at it, stop putting up those dumb-ass things where the star of some other show walks across the bottom of my fucking screen. I don't some Mini Me version of some actor trying advertise some damn show he's on. Nice. Now I also don't know what the Russian sonar man said when he answered but I know that White Coller (which is a damn good show, by the way) is on next. In another fucking hour and a half.

Ok. That's all for now. You can go back to looking at the gallery or whatever you were going to do.

Nekoman

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
It's good you said so. The ones in the corner of the screen -- they're called "bugs" -- because they're small and annoying and they BUG shit out of you.

The ones at the bottom that animate on -- they're called "violators" because they make you feel used and, and...... violated.

BayAreaGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Oliver, you do know that NO ONE watches commercials anymore, right? TiVo and other DVRs have put a stop to that. I visited my elderly parents recently, and was driven absolutely insane by watching "live" television. Couldn't pause or rewind, was forced to watch the commercials. I felt like I was living in 1953.

As a result, we're going to see a lot more product placement, and those little crawls across the bottom. The Simpsons even ridiculed them recently.
Matt Groening - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 07/18/07 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I definitely agree with the OP's vents and would like to add my own. I'll be watching a program/movie on TV and see an actor/actress I recognise (or in case of animation hear their voice) but can't remember the name. It drives me mad but then I think, "I know! I'll just watch the credits at the end". So what happens? I wait 30 minutes/1 hour for the credits to start, only for the fucking network to squash the credits into an illegible blob in one half of the screen so they can play an ad for a show that's only 30 seconds away! The same ad that was shown at the end of the previous ad-break! For a show that I probably don't even want to watch!

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
...and another thing (sorry to hijack your thread Oliver C) - a new ratings year has started in Australian TV so all the networks are promoting their new shows. How? By showing 2-minute trailers between programs! So you sit through the last 5 minutes of a show you hate because you want to watch the show after it. When you think it's finally going to start, up pops a trailer for another show you hate! And to really insult your intelligence, the network logo calls it a "First Look!" even though it's the 50th fucking time you've had to sit through it!

Oliver_Clothesoff

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I definitely agree with the OP's vents and would like to add my own. I'll be watching a program/movie on TV and see an actor/actress I recognise (or in case of animation hear their voice) but can't remember the name. It drives me mad but then I think, "I know! I'll just watch the credits at the end". So what happens? I wait 30 minutes/1 hour for the credits to start, only for the fucking network to squash the credits into an illegible blob in one half of the screen so they can play an ad for a show that's only 30 seconds away! The same ad that was shown at the end of the previous ad-break! For a show that I probably don't even want to watch!

I agree completely. Drives me fucking crazy.

And for the record, I don't have a DVR (still living in the stone age). Personally, I'm relieved by the fact that if I miss a series I want to watch I can't watch it again. The last thing I need is a backlog of every episode of V, No Ordinary Family, and Lost (back when I gave a crap about it. Don't get me started on that one) that I have to squeeze into my schedule. It's a lot easier to just miss it and get it over with.

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What I really can't stand for the life of me is when I'm watching the end of a classic movie(For me that is!), listening to the music and seeing the credits roll, when all of a sudden, the channel it's on just HAS TO split the screen in half, and run a promo for something else, thus nullifying the music for a minute.