I just read the new ToS

Yes, absolutely, it does. Staff writers and photographers rarely retain copyright to their published work (except in very unusual contract agreements.) If it appears on the front page of the Washington Post, does that make it public domain? Absolutely not. Who holds the copyright? Most likely, and in most cases, it is the publisher.

If you publish a link to their site, that is not infringement. If you publish content, even with attribution, that is infringement. That's not too difficult a concept, even for some of our less astute members here.

A caveat to that is if it's an official picture being released. If the photo (or other media) is released by a government entity such as the White House press room, then there is no copyright. The media is immediately public (unless classified as secret for some reason and, even then, the First Amendment usually protects such breaches) domain. The same is true with any media released by the major political parties.

You will find that public relations and press departments will happily waive copyright on press releases and other media simply to have their media distributed anywhere they can and such statements are usually explicitly stated as such. Again, to help the mods along, I suggest citing the source stating that copyright is waived, public, or otherwise not applicable if the media in question appears it might be copyrighted.

There are also laws about how much a person can change an existing copyrighted work to create an essentially new work. Artists do have some leeway in using copyrighted work to create new works based upon the original work. This is also a notoriously gray area so be careful if you do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I take offense when someone tells me that I must not be suited for this job because I want it so badly. And yes, I wanted to be a moderator.

How could I possibly have been aware of this? I don't know you at all. I don't even know anyone who knows you. And, if I've ever read your posts, I'm unaware of it. Granted, it takes a while before anyone really appears on my radar, but either we don't post in the same forums or your opinions haven't registered with me such that I connected them to your avatar.

I know absolutely nothing about you personally or your reasons for wishing to become a moderator.
I have no opinion about you whatsoever. I couldn't. Yes, I'm that oblivious.

I'm not trying to make it about me. I took offense to that post for ALL the mods, not just me. I don't know who all really wanted to apply and who was coerced to apply or anything like that, but I read that as being inconsiderate to the ones who really wanted the position. I've read Nick8's apology and I'm over it.

You took offense for all the mods and yet you were quite specific that it was you I was disrespecting. Neither of the mods I spoke to either took that offense or understood the nature of that disrespect.

You took one-half of one sentence and made my post into a disrespectful statement about you. The balance of the post, no, the intent of the entire post, was an attempt to say that the mod's job is a difficult one subject to human frailty. I was trying to ask the members to be understanding.

I was, frankly, surprised and hurt by your post which called me out by name. I can understand how the mods, yourself included, must feel berated and attacked by the membership at times, however this goes with the job. Along with other attributes, a thick skin is required.

I've publicly issued you both an apology and an explanation of my post. I'm glad you're 'over it'. I'm not, quite. I'd like to hear, at the very least, that you've recognized and understood my clarification and that you're not taking what I wrote personally.

Last edited:

D_Hyacinth Harrytwat

Account Disabled
Media
Sometimes people make negative posts about the site, the mods or some members but that does not necessarily mean they do not like the site. That is how people try to foster change and improvement. Things would become static and boring if everyone turned into Pollyana and constantly said how wonderful everything is.

Not once have I seen you bring your own opinions into a topic that you are answering as a mod. Very commendable.

As for MamaMeg's status as mod, I don't think she's doing a poor job at all. There are definitely some mods whom I never see, simply because we're never in the same threads and I'm never in chat. Together though, they have a lot of "ground" to cover and it would probably be very helpful for them if some whiners would lay off the "report" button and if everyone else kept their eyes open for serious infractions of the ToS (such as the new hot topic, copyrighted content).

From now on, instead of downloading a picture to my computer and then uploading it to a thread, I'll just do an "artist's rendering" (AKA stick figures in MS Paint) of the picture and post that instead :biggrin1:.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
How could I possibly have been aware of this? I don't know you at all. I don't even know anyone who knows you. And, if I've ever read your posts, I'm unaware of it. Granted, it takes a while before anyone really appears on my radar, but either we don't post in the same forums or your opinions haven't registered with me such that I connected them to your avatar.

I know absolutely nothing about you personally or your reasons for wishing to become a moderator. I have no opinion about you whatsoever. I couldn't. Yes, I'm that oblivious.

Gah. Everyone's making this out to be way more than it is. Your post said that the people who wanted the job the most were probably the least suited for it. I wanted the job pretty damn bad, therefore I take that to mean that I'm not suited for it. I know you weren't directing that quote to me, you don't know me, it wouldn't have made sense for you to do that. But for someone who was anxious as fuck to be a mod for 2 years and then have someone tell me that I must not be suited for the job because I wanted it... that bothered me. Whether you were saying it to ME or not, it was still said and I was still offended by it.

You took offense for all the mods and yet you were quite specific that it was you I was disrespecting. Neither of the mods I spoke to either took that offense or understood the nature of that disrespect.
You took one-half of one sentence and made my post into a disrespectful statement about you. The balance of the post, no, the intent of the entire post, was an attempt to say that the mod's job is a difficult one subject to human frailty. I was trying to ask the members to be understanding.

I think we're going to have to come to the conclusion that I completely misunderstood or misinterpreted your entire post because the whole thing bothered me, it was just that one line that actually offended me. I apologize for that.

I was, frankly, surprised and hurt by your post which called me out by name. I can understand how the mods, yourself included, must feel berated and attacked by the membership at times, however this goes with the job. Along with other attributes, a thick skin is required.
I've publicly issued you both an apology and an explanation of my post. I'm glad you're 'over it'. I'm not, quite. I'd like to hear, at the very least, that you've recognized and understood my clarification and that you're not taking what I wrote personally.

I know this won't mean much to you because you don't know me, and that's alright, but for what it's worth, I DO have a thick skin, and I think that's one of the reasons I was chosen for this position. I am not easily offended, I can take a load of crap from people, and I don't let my feelings about specific people influence the decisions I make. I've been that way my whole life. I got offended by one line of your post and said something about it, that's it. I read your apology and explanation of your post and I no longer take what you said personally. But even after the explanation, I can go back and read that original post and it still rubs me the wrong way. I'm not sure why, but that's just how my brain is intent on interpreting it for whatever reason. So I thank you for your apology, and I give you mine as well.

*Random side note - the quote function hates me at the moment, and even after removing certain quote commands, the format of this post refuses to change, and it still ends and starts quotes in places I didn't want it to! grumble*

Last edited:

Gah. Everyone's making this out to be way more than it is. Your post said that the people who wanted the job the most were probably the least suited for it. I wanted the job pretty damn bad, therefore I take that to mean that I'm not suited for it. I know you weren't directing that quote to me, you don't know me, it wouldn't have made sense for you to do that. But for someone who was anxious as fuck to be a mod for 2 years and then have someone tell me that I must not be suited for the job because I wanted it... that bothered me. Whether you were saying it to ME or not, it was still said and I was still offended by it.

I think we're going to have to come to the conclusion that I completely misunderstood or misinterpreted your entire post because the whole thing bothered me, it was just that one line that actually offended me. I apologize for that.

I know this won't mean much to you because you don't know me, and that's alright, but for what it's worth, I DO have a thick skin, and I think that's one of the reasons I was chosen for this position. I am not easily offended, I can take a load of crap from people, and I don't let my feelings about specific people influence the decisions I make. I've been that way my whole life. I got offended by one line of your post and said something about it, that's it. I read your apology and explanation of your post and I no longer take what you said personally. But even after the explanation, I can go back and read that original post and it still rubs me the wrong way. I'm not sure why, but that's just how my brain is intent on interpreting it for whatever reason. So I thank you for your apology, and I give you mine as well.

You know what Meg? I think it's because all the mods have been in such a pressure cooker since their terms began. There's no honeymoon here, little chance to learn the ropes before seeing battle, and then have a punishment process that makes the mods appear to be unfair more than fair.

We all want you to succeed Meg. We want LPSG to be a happy place. We want rules to be clear, fairly applied, and the mod process to be transparent.

I think you saw Nick8's post as automatically negative because you applied it to yourself even though Nick8 admitted he doesn't know you at all. Other mods though, didn't. They understood it to mean, as was illustrated, that there were zillions of people in the, "I've been here four months and want to be a mod..." I remember when the new mod list was released and Nick8 asked me who you were. I told him that your appointment was a good thing because I've known you for a while and you're a no-nonsense kind of person. His reply was along the lines of, "OK, if you say so." That means the only thing he knew about you was what I told him.

Not everyone is going to love every mod nor every mod decision. I truly hope that you understand that for many of us, the great majority I hope, that our criticisms of the TOS or the processes are not personal attacks on any one person. I know some people do have personal grudges against each other. That happens. I think most people here are optimistic about the mod changes and hope that once things get ironed-out, things will get better.

It's not you meg, it's the situation.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight

Thank you. Then I think we're done here. :wink:

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was chosen to be a moderator because I'm cute.....(I put that on my application...)

Well, actually, we voted 6-1 to make you a moderator. The vote on your cuteness failed 2-4 with one abstention.

(I'm kidding! I'm kidding! Ow, ow, stop hitting me!)

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Damn! When did getting banned become so.... chic all of the sudden??

Getting banned has almost become a status symbol. Like driving a Volvo. Or owning a timeshare in the Virgin Islands....

Is getting banned the new black?

Last edited:

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Luv you, Nick8.

You big, strong, virile, sensible, judicious, provocative, fetching hunk of man you......

What is that word for single-cell reproduction? Where the cell asexually splits itself in two?

MITOSIS! ...... If only you could split yourself into multiple Nick8s.... there's just too little of you to go around! haha

D_Hyacinth Harrytwat

Account Disabled
Media
Luv you, Nick8.

You big, strong, virile, sensible, judicious, provocative, fetching hunk of man you......

What is that word for single-cell reproduction? Where the cell asexually splits itself in two?

MITOSIS! ...... If only you could split yourself into multiple Nick8s.... there's just too little of you to go around! haha

Can I put in an advanced order for one? Don't forget that there's always cloning!

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Can I put in an advanced order for one? Don't forget that there's always cloning!

Top o' the list. :biggrin1:

Luv you, Nick8.

Will? When I figure out how to do that the one thing I can assure you of it that it won't be done asexually. :biggrin1:

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
Luv you, Nick8.

Hey, i want a nick8 too, i can then throw away my Steve Austin man, as nick is all that with knobs on. Put one on order please !:biggrin1: