I just saw Mr. Bush in Rwanda on TV

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Not necessarily early-onset Alzheimers, but possibly a delayed effect of heavy drinking earlier in his life, in the judgment of Dr. Joseph M. Price (article).

It's a bit ambiguous. Price also says:

"Slowly developing cognitive deficits, as demonstrated so clearly by the President [sic], can represent only one diagnosis, and that is 'presenile dementia'! Presenile dementia is best described to nonmedical persons as a fairly typical Alzheimer's situation that develops significantly earlier in life, well before what is usually considered old age."

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Stress ages everyone. I have an aunt who looks 15 years older than her older sister. She's had a very hard life.

Presidency ages everyone. Clinton also showed signs of aging. Part of it is the age in which they hold office is the age people start to look old. Plus add the stress.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There is no participle, dangling or other, in the phrase "I just saw Mr. Bush in Rwanda on TV"; but there is indeed an ambiguity. As Groucho Marx's Captain Spaulding said: "I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know." Odd that that comment also concerned something happening in Africa.

D'oh... you're right. The phrase gets stuck in my mind as representative of any and all ambiguity in sentence structure. :banghead2::banghead2:

Added later:

It bugged me that I didn't know the name of this phenomenon, so I looked it up. The name is "syntactic ambiguity" as in the Groucho Marx phrase, "Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Stress ages everyone. I have an aunt who looks 15 years older than her older sister. She's had a very hard life.

Presidency ages everyone. Clinton also showed signs of aging. Part of it is the age in which they hold office is the age people start to look old. Plus add the stress.

Well, physically, Bush is in better shape than any recent president.
The mental stuff seems to be happening much earlier than one would expect ... if it is happening.
Sometimes I think Bush is deliberately inclined to malapropism just to seem a man of the peeps.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I thought that same thing when I saw him this morning on TV..he looked pale and appeared to have a hard time balancing himself!!

Look at any President near the end of their term, much less an 8 year term. The Whitehouse is an aging machine.... and given a trans-continental flight...

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think W. should meet Mugabe while he is in the neighborhood, they would be entirely simpatico.:biggrin1:
He is getting worse at not knowing where he wants to go with a sentence once he has started it.

Gillette, you are doing like Pecker with all the Canadian jokes, making me spit out my cookies.

And when is Canadian history month?

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The picture was very grainy and the audio wasn't great which I thought was strange because America should be able to afford a decent video camera and mic.

Maybe that was a ploy; harder to tell he's ill if you can't see him properly. Similarly, such a shit picture might make him look ill. I wouldn't know though because I switched over as soon as he came on.