I make things. What do you make?

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
For a person who works with computers, I actually can barely stand to be around the damned things.

I have recently made a tube guitar amp, and am now working on building another. When I'm through with it, I have parts to build at least three more. Two of them will be built on the chassis of vintage movie projector amps. I build high-quality ribbon microphones for use in recording studios, too. Here's a picture of one of them: Microphone Projects :: PC18097620101218_20585202_small.jpg picture by ellarr - Photobucket

I also have the tools and can build furniture, although I haven't lately.

I like making things with my hands - cooking, painting (oils and water colors), and music.

Humans are supposed to make stuff. What do you make?

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I make other people's lives difficult.
I make jokes that no-one gets.
I make annoying posts that have nothing to do with the thread.
I make a mess.
I amke splleing mitskaes.
I make like a banana and split.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I write. Short stories or poetry, mainly. Not up to the challenge of a novel.
Ah, so you are creative?
Now did Hhuck say about this? [ click on me ]

I am a writer myself. Mostly journalism, some of it creative, but most not.
I am putting my hand to a bit of fiction but wouldn't say that I've achieved much yet.

I am also a photographer and a pianist.

The photography would be the only thing that produces anything sorta physical, in the sense that I believe Hhickboi had in mind ... but in this digital age, even that is a rarity.
No darkroom these days, of course.
And actually printing an image is a once-a-year adventure.
Jpegs rule, unfortunately ... and the currency of imagery is more and more cheapened.

rembrandt1603

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Ah, so you are creative?
Now did Hhuck say about this? [ click on me ]

I am a writer myself. Mostly journalism, some of it creative, but most not.
I am putting my hand to a bit of fiction but wouldn't say that I've achieved much yet.

I am also a photographer and a pianist.

The photography would be the only thing that produces anything sorta physical, in the sense that I believe Hhickboi had in mind ... but in this digital age, even that is a rarity.
No darkroom these days, of course.
And actually printing an image is a once-a-year adventure.
Jpegs rule, unfortunately ... and the currency of imagery is more and more cheapened.

Absolutely. I paint, draw, photograph, write, lift (sculpting the body to exhibit, surely) and basically anything else that makes something. :biggrin1:

You play the piano? Alas, I did not grow up with an instrument. I began to play the piano before matriculating, though it was soon halted by studies. Maybe I can start again sometime?

Funny you should mention traditional photography. Darkroom access is quite limited these days, unless of course you're a photography student or similar, though that hasn't stopped me whipping out the Ricoh or film Canon every once in a while. :wink:

The digital age has brought many blessings, though also, many blights.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Absolutely. I paint, draw, photograph, write, lift (sculpting the body to exhibit, surely) and basically anything else that makes something. :biggrin1:

You play the piano? Alas, I did not grow up with an instrument. I began to play the piano before matriculating, though it was soon halted by studies. Maybe I can start again sometime?
So you do a bit of almost everything ... good stuff.
I notice some very 'artistic' poses in your gallery (and some flat-out wacky stuff that's a lot of fun).
Did you take the pictures yourself, using time delay on your shutter?
Just wondering.

Pity you didn't learn an instrument. Music is in a league of its own, I find. Nothing is quite so all-engrossing (no pun intended on this, um, special site) as bringing melody and rhythm ... and on the piano, harmony ... together into an intuitively shaped whole.
I hope you pick up the piano again and really learn to make it sing.

Funny you should mention traditional photography. Darkroom access is quite limited these days, unless of course you're a photography student or similar, though that hasn't stopped me whipping out the Ricoh or film Canon every once in a while. :wink:

The digital age has brought many blessings, though also, many blights.
I want to become a photography student again ... and I know I will, this summer. Part-time only, but that will open up a lot of creative space for me.

The darkroom was a lot of fun. As a matter of fact, it seemed that more creativity was unleashed in the darkroom than in the moment of pressing the shutter.

Film cost money. Paper cost money. And the darkroom took a lot of time.

That meant that you had to be a kind of sharpshooter at each stage.

But with digital, many people are just firing a machine gun ... and luck, as much as anything, determines the outcome. (I'm being too cynical, but I bet you get my meaning.)

D_Lanksesbye Sleepingrawe

Account Disabled
Media
I make musical instruments, wood furniture, delicious food, steel weapons, landscapes, short stories, good looking sons, high end flight instruments, songs, mead, holes in edible wildlife, miles of highway and trails disappear, worn out motorcycle tires, and heavy weights move around.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I make:

delicious meals
people happy
sweet love
my bed (weekly anyway)
Ukrainian Easter eggs

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I love to make things. My issue is that I like to make so many things I never seem to have time for all of it. Lately I've been making things grow. Nothing of the illegal sort, but naturally beautiful and edible things.

I love to make art, well my version of it. Painting fills me with peace.

I make wonderful cakes from scratch, no boxed stuff. Of course I'm not supposed to have flour anymore (cries... I also make tears.)

Did I mention that I make people laugh? Some people anyway, those that choose to be amused. It's quite simple really and it makes me happy to make someone smile.

I can make music on the trumpet, though I haven't for along time. I try to make music on my piano, however my left hand refuses to cooperate with my right so my timing is off. I'm making new songs that I'll not share with anyone else (which I'm sure makes them happy!)

I do make music with my mouth everyday. Singing is possibly my most favorite thing to do.

I also make costumes sometimes and I've been known to crochet a blanket.

Last edited by a moderator:

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I cook
I make people fall in love with me cause I have a great personality
I write papers on various linguistic subjects
I make guys cum!
:):):)

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
I did a gig tonight - so I made a lot of noise!

Those mics looked good, are they better than a top of the range Neumann?
They are ribbon mics. I wouldn't say my mics are better than a U47, but they make lush, fat, wet, huge sounding vocals and are pretty good for lead guitars. No kick drums or big bass amps, though. It would destroy them.

Cybearia

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I help make sick, old people better. It isn't world changing, it won't win me an Oscar and it certainly won't make me a millionaire, it is smelly, tiring and sometimes tedious...but I make a difference to the people who need it and I wouldn't change it for any other job.

Trite I know but its the best use I can make of my life and my skills.

Last edited:

B_Anita Dick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am very good with my hands... in more ways than one.
I can fix almost anything.
I love to build things.
Instructibles is one of my very favorite websites.
Oh, and ladies... I clean, do dishes... and windows too.