I need Laundry tips

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
'S just most men are kinda laundry dunces, and well, a lot of wombmenz are kinda better at it.... :redface:

See my problem is I bought this gorgeous pre-aged (like vintaged) cotton t-shirt in Urban Outfitters and I've worn it once and not washed it yet because well new t-shirts go into the washing machine gorgeous and come out of it looking like poop.

It's very pale lilac with a print on the front and I would normally put it on a mixed wash at 40 degrees with no fabric softener (cos I hate it, but I'm willing to swallow my hate of fabric softener if it'll help) and I don't have the facility to line dry so it'll have to be tumble dried.

Should I wash it at a cooler temp? With fabric softener? If I wash it at a cooler temp it might have to go in with darks and non-colour safes, so I'll have to use a colour catcher sheet....

Confusion reigns. Oh and apologies for the sexism and blatant question asking :redface:

poultrygal

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
What is the material blend listed on the tag?

I usually wash on cold/rinse on cold...then you can lay flat to dry then wait an hour or so and flip the shirt over. I can't line dry any more but this seems to work. I never use softener, it never really comes out of your clothes and it will just continue to build up the more you use it.

alx

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Just turn it inside out and put it on at 40 or 30 if you have an Eco setting. You don't have any room to put a tshirt on a radiator or over a door?

Softener isn't required.

I don't like tumble drying anything!

How's this a women's issue?

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My greatest concern would be pilling, and I'm not exactly sure what causes it. WHile it slightly shortens the life-expectancy of my garments, I shave pills off with a clothing shaver. This is the only advice I have, and it is relatively useless. Is that 40 degrees C?

I used wash all of my light colors with light colors only. I used warm water, liquid softener, and colorsafe bleach if needed. If anything in the wash was particularly precious, and nothing was particularly dirty, I'd use gentle cycle. Rougher cycles are for garments that need scrubbing when I do not have the time. I used tumble-dry low, with a softener sheet, unless most garments were prone to wrinkling. Anything too prone to wrinkling I either had dry-cleaned, or I put back into the dryer with soaking wet softener sheets on high heat until the wrinkles steamed out.

Where I live now, all of the washers and dryers eat everything. I don't even separate my colors anymore. I do laundry like someone who had no parents.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
What is the material blend listed on the tag?

I usually wash on cold/rinse on cold...then you can lay flat to dry then wait an hour or so and flip the shirt over. I can't line dry any more but this seems to work. I never use softener, it never really comes out of your clothes and it will just continue to build up the more you use it.

Yeah that's one of the reasons I'm not a big fan of fabric softener either.

It's 100% cotton, but because of having been pre-aged it's ultra-fine and ultra-delicate feeling.

Drying it flat is a great tip! Thanks :redface:

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Just turn it inside out and put it on at 40 or 30 if you have an Eco setting. You don't have any room to put a tshirt on a radiator or over a door?

Softener isn't required.

It's shamelessly not a women's issue, for that I beg indulgence. :redface: (in fact I'll probably tow it out of here myself to somewhere more appropriate soon LOL)

My greatest concern would be pilling, and I'm not exactly sure what causes it. WHile it slightly shortens the life-expectancy of my garments, I shave pills off with a clothing shaver. This is the only advice I have, and it is relatively useless. Is that 40 degrees C?

I used wash all of my light colors with light colors only. I used warm water, liquid softener, and colorsafe bleach if needed. If anything in the wash was particularly precious, and nothing was particularly dirty, I'd use gentle cycle. Rougher cycles are for garments that need scrubbing when I do not have the time. I used tumble-dry low, with a softener sheet, unless most garments were prone to wrinkling. Anything too prone to wrinkling I either had dry-cleaned, or I put back into the dryer with soaking wet softener sheets on high heat until the wrinkles steamed out.

Where I live now, all of the washers and dryers eat everything. I don't even separate my colors anymore. I do laundry like someone who had no parents.

Yeah 's 40 degress C. My machine's lowest temp setting is 30.

Pilling is a cunt! Clothing shaver you say? :eek: Where can such a miraculous device be got? :eek:

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My grandma dries things flat on the dining table. She lays out a vinyl table cloth, then some clean, dry towels. She dries her sweaters on top of the towels, and turns on the ceiling fan above them. After the top feels dry, she flips them. She sometimes has to flip them a second time. When done, the wet towels go into the dryer. Heat dried towels feel MUCH nicer against the skin, in our opinion.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

Softener isn't required.

because women's clothing generally have fold-out care labels.
with enough pictographic information to cover an Egyptian tomb wall.

silk, silk blend, silk wool blends, cottons, linens and heaps other i wouldn't risk ruining with mystery stains so i don't even buy 'em materials. washing and maintaining clothing is science. these ladies are philosophers/masters of the rinse cycle.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
My grandma dries things flat on the dining table. She lays out a vinyl table cloth, then some clean, dry towels. She dries her sweaters on top of the towels, and turns on the ceiling fan above them. After the top feels dry, she flips them. She sometimes has to flip them a second time. When done, the wet towels go into the dryer. Heat dried towels feel MUCH nicer against the skin, in our opinion.

Ah and after such excellent schooling your left throwing all your things in together like a muck-savage! :eek::wink:

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Pilling is a cunt! Clothing shaver you say? :eek: Where can such a miraculous device be got? :eek:
YES! I usually find them in drug stores. Sometimes I see them in the travel section near the folding blow dryers and outlet adapters. I found one for you on the UK Amazon site. You should look around though, this seems overpriced. I think 12 pounds is about $20 here; I never have paid more than $10. I have seen them for $14, and definitely would not pay more than that.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
i use the 'jam as much as i can into the washer, throw in soap, spin the dial until water starts flowing, go play video games' method.

of course i dress like a laundry pile to begin with :redface:

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
YES! I usually find them in drug stores. Sometimes I see them in the travel section near the folding blow dryers and outlet adapters. I found one for you on the UK Amazon site. You should look around though, this seems overpriced. I think 12 pounds is about $20 here; I never have paid more than $10. I have seen them for $14, and definitely would not pay more than that.

Life changing!!!! I have so many things I love but wont wear anymore because they got all bobbly :biggrin1:

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media

Rofl!! :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

A grown man of 35 of my acquaintance still sends his laundry home to his mother, and doesn't even bother to accompany the bags to pay a visit. Poor woman is run ragged she has 5 adult sons. :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

Last edited:

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Life changing!!!! I have so many things I love but wont wear anymore because they got all bobbly :biggrin1:
You have to be patient and run the thing over the pills a few times, and you must empty the trap constantly. You must also accept that shaving your clothes will eventually damage them. To me, it is worth it, because it extends the amount of time I am willing to be seen in the clothes. I advise against cheating and using a razor. That always has resulted in holes when I have done it. I say to buy a fairly cheap one because the blades are not replaceable, and they go dull fairly quickly.

poultrygal

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I wash everything cold/cold....saves energy and it does the same as using warm or hot water...soap kills the bacteria.

I would actually recommend with that material to hand wash in the sink. Just fill up your sink and had some liquid laundry detergent and gently swish the water in circular motions, let soak for a about 10-15 mins, then swish again....run fresh water ..then fill up with clean water and let soak again. Once you have all of the soap out, lay flat in a towel to absorb the water pressing on it occationally. Then you can flat flat to dry

Hope this helps!