I never thought I'd say it but...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by mephistopheles, Jan 12, 2007.

1. mephistopheles

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think I found someone...

Someone who doesn't make me hate the world
    Someone who doesn't make me hate everyone on the planet
    Someone who doesn't make me want to kill myself
    Someone who lifts the dark, unrelenting cloud of despair and frustration that constantly hangs o ver my head.

Someone named Mikka Tyler Smith.:biggrin1:

Don't tell anyone I told you, my image as a nihilist would be shot.

2. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

Cheer up, it won't last.

3. SassySpy

Gold Member

Albums:

I don't know Mikka Tyler Smith- am assuming she must be some hot babe, but the rest of your post.... I feel that way sometimes, and want to find someone who could help me out in those dark times. I have a friend who has MS. he's young, he's hung, he's gorgeous and he used to be easy to get along with. He is dark alot now- the ms has not only affected him emotionally, but i think there is starting to be some physiological effects to his brain. Could partially be due to his steroid treatments, too, I suppose.
    But anyway, I spend a lot of time trying to cheer him up and talk him out of his dark places and bring him into the light again. The result is I end up drained, and wonder if he even realizes what I am trying to do for him.

oh hell. Thats not what this thread was really about, was it? :confused:Sorry!! Guess I just got done with a phone 'cheer up' session and am still in my 'dark place'

So thanks at least for the outlet for me to vent it a bit.:rolleyes:

4. viking1

Gold Member

I am very glad you have found that person. I just wish I could find the one
    who could do that for me......

5. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    SassySpy wrote:

I don't know Mikka Tyler Smith- am assuming she must be some hot babe, but the rest of your post.... I feel that way sometimes, and want to find someone who could help me out in those dark times. I have a friend who has MS. he's young, he's hung, he's gorgeous and he used to be easy to get along with. He is dark alot now- the ms has not only affected him emotionally, but i think there is starting to be some physiological effects to his brain. Could partially be due to his steroid treatments, too, I suppose.

Has Lyme disease been considered as a differential diagnosis? There is no really definitive diagnistic test. Both are illnesses of exclusion. I'm aware of many people diagnosed initially with MS, and even ALS, who have had dramatic improvement, if not cure, when diagnosed with Lyme and treated with long-term antibiotics. BTY, because they are immune suppressing, corticosteroids are one of the worst things a person with Lyme can get. I know, I've been there. Check out the "Medical QUestions" forum at lymenet.org. Another good site is lymeinfo. The notable author Amy Tan really went through the wringer with it. Daryl Hall (of Hall & Oats) also has chronic Lyme and has good information on his website.

You may be able to REALLY help your friend.

6. Wrat

Wrat New Member

Albums:
    As mentioned above, in the middle, between the eas
    I was treated for lyme in 1992. Three months of massive doses of antibiotics. The first kind didn't work. The second kind did, and they had some kind of test they gave me before they would stop treating me. I was fortunate enough to have a ring shaped point of entry (tick bite) and I noticed it soon enough to seek treatment.

7. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    I went undiagnosed and untreated for at least twelve years, in continually declining health and about twelve diagnoses. I was diagnosed early in 2003 and began treatment. At this point it's chronic but well controlled with antibiotics. It's probably I will be on antibiotics the rest of my life.

Two years ago, a young man of twenty one died in his sleep of Lyme disease. He had it since age eight and had been in a wheelchair at times during childhood. He eventually responded well to treatment and was actually rodea riding. He decided he didn't want to take antibiotics any more and died unexpectedly of an A/V block. Really tragic.

It's, like syphillis, a "great immitator" and should always be considered when the health of a previously healthy individual collapses suddenly.

8. SassySpy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks, Dave!! I had flu last week and am only just now catching up on threads- and I'm finding I missed even more than I thought!
    No he hasn't been tested for Lyme- Ive told him now to ask- it is awful to see him deteriorate as he is. I try to treat him the same as I always have, but yes sometimes his steroid treatment side effects make it REALLY difficult for me to be patient when he is being cruel, almost.
    Thanks for your reply- its something I had never heard of - god I love this place!:tongue:

9. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    There is a huge medical controversy over chronic Lyme disease. The researchers at the medical schools generally try to claim it doesn't exist. They claim that if one has Lyme and is treated for a month with antibiotics you're cured. Still have symptoms? Well, you have (TaTa... Post Lyme Syndrome) and further use of antibiotics will not help. This is total bullshit.

Paradoxically, they claim that probably tens of thousands of people have ostensibe "post Lyme syndrome" yet there is no research on this mysterious malady. Usually, University people JUMP on something new. Hmm. Another possible point is that there used to be a Lyme vaccine that, you guessed it, gave people Lyme! It's been withdrawn from the market but researchers are tied in with the pharmaceutical and insurance companies and it seems that they have a vested interest in denying the reality of chronic Lyme.

Recently the IDSA (Infectious Disease Society of America) issued new teatment guidelines that stringently restrict diagnosis and treatment. However, get this, the attorney general of Connecticutt has launched a conspiracy investigation against that little mafia.

On the other hand, there are a number of physicians (usually they or a loved one has been put through the wringer) who do believe in chronic Lyme disease and believe it should be treated.

I'm telling you all of this because your friend may well need help figuring out how to get an impartial evaluation and, if appropriate, treatment. That's where Lymenet and Lymeinfo come in. Lyme Disease Foundation of America is a front for the University twits. The Lyme Disease Foundation is on the patients' side.

The whole thing is pretty disgusting. If a person has acne, they can be prescribed antibiotics for years with no controvery. If one has a progressive, multi-organ system illness that is sometimes fatal, you have fucking post lyme syndrome and often can't get treatedexcept treated as if you are a nut. There are many people who, literally travel cross county to be able to be treated.

The good news in all of this is that I'm pretty much a poster-child for long-term antibiotics and have had a really good recovery. When I finally got diagnosed I had multiple symptoms. Here are a few of them.

Chronic bronchitis (some called it asthma)
    Tendon pain so severe, I couldn't turn a door handle
    Vertigo
    Tingling in the extremities
    Sudden violent muscle spasms
    Visible fluttering movements in my face
    Constant chills,
    A half hour of yard work would put me to bed for a couple of days
    Cognitive problems such a constantly losing my car, getting disoriented two blocks from work and having trouble figuring out how to get back

The list goes on.

Now, four years later I am basically symptoms free and am finishing up the house I built myself.

Good luck helping your friend. Sometimes people get very attached to their diagnosis and don't want to gve it up.

Dave

10. Matthew

Gold Member

I love that this has turned into a Lyme's disease thread.

11. jdcnow

jdcnow New Member

Kinda like that classroom game, "Rumor", we all played in school. It starts out as one thing. By the time it made it's way around the room, it could be 10 different other things, LOL:biggrin1:

12. SassySpy

Gold Member

Albums:
    this is SUCH good info- and because we are by a major research university in seattle, it may not be as difficult as in other places to find physicians either conducting or interested in conducting, the necessary testing.
    The symptoms are eerily similar to MS, are they not? His vertigo was causing him to run into walls- he's not able to hold things in his hands- he no longer drives, anyway- so thats not an issue. He jusr finished 2 weeks worth of IV drip steroids- not quite as unsteady on his feet till he gets tired. Yes he could be VERY attached to his diagnosis, as much as he purports to hate the disease. However, he now receives disability payments and doesn't work. And boy, does he ever have way too much spare time!! No wonder by the time I talk to him he is grumpy- nothing to do but surf the net- nobody around to give him attention or drive him to shops- ah bless him anyway. I haven't forgotten who he still is, underneath it all.
    His wife divorced him when he was diagnosed- she was no Dana Reeves! of course then the loss of functions seemed to happen rapidly, he was a 911 dispatcher and couldn't even do that anymore cos his vision deteriorated so quickly.
    anyway thanks again and I will keep you posted- if this would turn out to be correct, wow- would sure have to find a way to thank you!!!:smile:

13. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    PM if you like. We will surrender the thread to it's orginator.

Draft saved Draft deleted