i pulled my right lats last week, need advice

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
and not on the pulled muscle. so, i had to miss work when i first pulled it last week because i couldn't even walk and i cold barely breathe. been back to work since sunday. today, because she was short staffed because someone quit, she pulled me out of pharmacy (i work for walgreens, for those that don't know, and i'm back there mondays, tuesdays, and fridays, and on the floor sundays and wednesdays) to help out. knowing i had pulled my lats, she still made me put away the frozen foods and lift heavy shit today. at the end of my shift, i told her that i'm not coming in wednesday because my back was killing me

now, i never call out. i have 16 sicks days left (after the 2 i had to take last week. basically, i haven't called out in 3 years). when i told her i wasn't gonna come in tomorrow, she was all "oh, that's not convenient for us" and then told me i need to a doctor's note. her reasoning was because i missed 2 days last week, giving me 3 days off in a row, that i should have used that time to see a doctor, and i didn't. i told her i didn't expect the pain to go on this long. anyway, so she wants a doctor's note, yah? problem - i don't have the money to see a doctor. my insurance plan has a $1000 deductable, and seeing as how i never use it because i don't get sick, i've still spent $0 on that. what do i tell her tomorrow? she wants me to call her right after i see the doctor =/

i have no idea how to handle this, other than to contact my DM. on my self review, i marked that my attendance "meets expectations." my old boss, who reviewed me because we got this new manager (her first store...damn! and she wasn't next in line, but the company felt they needed to hire more woman) marked that i exceed expectations on attendance. but anyway. i can't afford to see a doctor for a damn doctor's note. i feel she might deny my my sick day (i'm not sure, legally, if she can considering i earned them and all. if anyone knows, let me know) or worse, cut my hours OR take me out of pharmacy on my pharmacy days. i'm trying to transfer full time back there, which was agreed upon when i get my PTCB certification in november.

sorry for the mini novel. i just don't know what to do! and damn me for being raised honestly. i could have easily gone into work, lifted something, fell to the floor, and yelled "MY BACK!" so yah...what can i do? it's literally pay for the doctor to write me a note, or short my dad on rent this month, which means we can't pay one of the bills. i don't know what to do =/

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Put in a call to your human resources representative first, then your district manager.

Her staff attrition issues are not your problem.

If it gets ugly, you can consult with an attorney...her requiring you to perform heavy lifting with knowledge of an existing injury would make for a slam-dunk worker's compensation claim. Believe me, she doesn't want to go down that road.

BiItalianBro

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I hate to say this, but you need to see a Dr either way....this could be more than a sprain and only a professional can make that call. Did you pull you lat AT work or at the gym? Did you let your GM know you were having back problems before she gave you heavy-lifting tasks?

Props to you for not playing the 'OMG IM HURT' at work game. As someone who has been on both sides of the WC game, it can get ugly, and yes...a drug test is part of the protocol. If you self-disclose that you are using vicodin to sleep, they can tell from the concentration that you are not a long-time user/abuser....assuming that is the ONLY thing in your sample.

I feel for you...I also have 'sick time' but God help you if you use it :/ Check your immediate care canter or public health clinic to cut down on the bill...many are 'income contingent' and charge you based on what you make.

Biitalian,makes a very valid point,especially since you are taking valium to sleep,right now you really should see a doctor,it could have been something minor initially,but after lifting all that heavy stuff,you could be seriously hurt.A public health clinic seems to be the best choice,as to the manager, i think that contacting your DM is the smartest thing,to do.Anyway good luck and hope you get better soon,no matter what,go see a doctor.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
i dunno if i can do a workman's comp case. they drug test, yah? my dad's been giving me a valium at night so i can sleep =/

Don't worry about Valium showing up in a drug test. Diazepam has a very short half-life (1-2 days, typically).

Besides, if you decided to go the worker's comp route, you should speak to a labor attorney beforehand...they will advise you on such matters.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
i know i need to see a doctor, but i don't have the money atm. it's either rent money, or doctor =/ walgreens has really shitty insurance. i have a deductible of $1000 (next year, it jumps to $1200).

biitalianbro - no, i didn't pull it at work. it was feeling a bit better until i was forced to do the lifting and all. then at the end of the day, a co-worker had asked me to help her by handing her some stuff so she can put it on the super structures and my boss had the nerve to be condescending as fuck, "oh, don't ask kai for help, we don't want him to injure himself." i might go to one of walgreens' take care clinic, since it's only $10 (i reviewed my isurance policy). they only have a nurse practitioner on staff, so i'm not entirely sure what the benefit would be. i'm sure i'll be ok if i just rest, ya know?

and i'm not gonna go the workman's comp route. i was raised way too honestly lol. i did speak to my old boss today though, since i needed the number to district. he told me that a doctor's note is not required if i give more than an hour's notice. he said to wait on calling the dm until friday to see what happens. he also said he has my back, and if i ever need anything else, to not hesitate to call him

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
There's an urgent care facility in Wilton Manors on 26th St (sorta behind Rosie's) where you can be seen, treated and documented for $95 complete. I understand that $95 is a sum of money, but hardly an impossible sum. That would cover your ass.

HG's advice is spot on: speak to your DM/GM and go over this manager's head. Her poor decision-making has set them up for a fair amount of legal difficulties. Document everything.

Good luck with this. PM me if you'd like.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
There's an urgent care facility in Wilton Manors on 26th St (sorta behind Rosie's) where you can be seen, treated and documented for $95 complete. I understand that $95 is a sum of money, but hardly an impossible sum. That would cover your ass.

HG's advice is spot on: speak to your DM/GM and go over this manager's head. Her poor decision-making has set them up for a fair amount of legal difficulties. Document everything.

Good luck with this. PM me if you'd like.

you mean dr. caron's office? that's my dad's doctor haha

i still don't have the cash though =/

it's so weird meeting someone on the internet that knows your area. you stay in wilton manors?

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
you mean dr. caron's office? that's my dad's doctor haha

i still don't have the cash though =/

it's so weird meeting someone on the internet that knows your area. you stay in wilton manors?

That's whom I mean. I live two blocks from there.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
that's cool. but like i said, no money to see the doctor. and with jeanette there, i can't even work out a payment plan. my dad's been seeing him for years - he has ms.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
so, i had the past two days off (called out wednesday, and thursday is my normal day off). i get a call from her this morning

"why didn't you call me wednesday or thursday after yo usaw the doctor?"
"i didn't see a doctor"
"the whole point of that day off was for you to see a doctor, was it not?"
"no...it was so i could rest my back after i did all that crazy lifting tuesday"
"well, i told you to see a doctor"
"i don't have the money for a doctor"
"well, i'm not even supposed to let you come back to work without a doctor's note"
"<boss' name>, it was literally doctor's note or rent. i chose rent"
"well, when you come in today, i'm gonna have to have you sign something. you're going to write out how you didn't see a doctor. you don't have to say it was a money thing. you an say you just didn't make it. i'm not doing this for me. i'm making sure you're protected. i'll see you at 11"

i'm thinking that this is sketchy as fuck, yah? so, he conversation ended. yah, i'm supposed to believe this is supposed to protect me? yah right! i'm not that naive!

anyways, i dunno if she forgot about it or what, but she didn't bring it up once today while i was at work. again, it's not like i missed 3 days in a row. then it's understandable. and then another co-woker had called out, and she texted me, saying that our boss demanded a doctor's note from her as well. seriously, wtf is going on?

even if she did bring up this note thing, i was gonna refuse to write anything, and i sure as hell wasn't going to sign it. that was such a set up!

so, could she have forced me to not work until i signed such a letter? could she have forced me to see a doctor, even though i don't have the money?

as for my lats...discomfort is the word i'd use to describe it. certain movements are more uncomfortable than others. but standing all day has made me a bit sore. i have saturday off (save for a stupid hour long meeting. what sucks is i live half an hour away! and it's my day off!)

BiItalianBro

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Kai...sounds like this woman is making policy up as she goes along...im just sayin'. Did you see the nurse prac?? IF she forces you to sign something under duress (like threatening to pull you from the schedule)....sign it...with SINGED UNDER PROTEST written under or beside it. Yea, it is time to go over her head based on your posts; her policy is totally out of line with Corporate sick policy.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
even if she did bring up this note thing, i was gonna refuse to write anything, and i sure as hell wasn't going to sign it.

Smartest move you can make.

Never, never, NEVER sign anything you don't agree with. The pressures she's putting on you and the circumstances involved would all be considered hearsay if the matter ever went to arbitration or litigation...what would be hard evidence is your signature on the document.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How the fuck did you pull your latissimus dorsi lifting heavy boxes? Most people pull their spinal erectors which are much weaker muscles...

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
How the fuck did you pull your latissimus dorsi lifting heavy boxes? Most people pull their spinal erectors which are much weaker muscles...

i didn't say i pulled it lifting heaving boxes. i'm saying that lifting the boxes last tuesday exacerbated it.

and it might be my spinal erector. it's a superficial pull, but it's in the area where the lats come close to the spinal area

EDIT: no b.i.b. i didn't see anyone about it. it's not painful. it's more like extreme discomfort. especially when i go to turn