I saw a Sting Ray today.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It may have been some other type of Ray, I'm just guessing, someone else near the water called it a Sting Ray too.

Today in Miami beach I saw it. I had never seen one before. It was a little over a foot wide and was dark with light colored spots. Luckily the water was cold so I had only gone in to my knees when in swam by. It was pretty quick too.

I also saw my first Jellyfish today, it was about the size of a dinner plate.

joybunny

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It may have been some other type of Ray, I'm just guessing, someone else near the water called it a Sting Ray too.

Today in Miami beach I saw it. I had never seen one before. It was a little over a foot wide and was dark with light colored spots. Luckily the water was cold so I had only gone in to my knees when in swam by. It was pretty quick too.

I also saw my first Jellyfish today, it was about the size of a dinner plate.
I'm a little surprised you never saw a jellyfish when living up in Jersey. The beaches off Jersey have them as do both South Beach and Wolfe's Pond Park Beach on Staten Island.

Was it a startling sort of thing to see?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm a little surprised you never saw a jellyfish when living up in Jersey. The beaches off Jersey have them as do both South Beach and Wolfe's Pond Park Beach on Staten Island.

Was it a startling sort of thing to see?

Yeah both were creepy. The sting ray passed about 7 feet in front of me, but it moved away fast in a horizontal to the shore line direction. The Jelly Fish was creepier and just hovered around slowly.

I think that maybe Jellyfish like colder water. Although today the water was cold, it was still warmer than the warmest Jersey water. The water is also murky and dark in NJ, probably making it harder to see Jellyfish.

Last edited:
D

deleted3782

Sting rays are pretty docile...though strange lookn'. When I was in Antigua we actually held them in our arms and fed them bits of fish. Just don't step on one...their eyes are on top of their heads...could hurt 'em. Better to shuffle through the sand.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Sting rays are pretty docile...though strange lookn'. When I was in Antigua we actually held them in our arms and fed them bits of fish. Just don't step on one...their eyes are on top of their heads...could hurt 'em. Better to shuffle through the sand.

The water was amazingly clear today, no waves, just slight ripples in the water.

I think the Stingray was this kind.

Attachments

D

deleted3782

The water was amazingly clear today, no waves, just slight ripples in the water.

I think the Stingray was this kind.

Holy crap, thats beautiful.

Welcome to paradise! :cool:

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Rays are wonderful. I've communed with them in aquariums, although I've never seen one in the wild.

I was looking at a beautiful fresh-water one from the amazon (small, about 3", and a pale blue colour with gold eyes) in a tropical fish shop, and it really did appreciate the attention. It was aware of me and interacted with me through the glass. In Barcelona I went to the sea-front aquarium where they had a ray-petting pool! A huge open-topped circular tank about waist height, stocked with rays about 1 or 2 foot wide that swim to the surface and come to the edge to be stroked by humans.

But I'd avoid a jellyfish in the water. They can sting!

Apparently, Steve Irwin was really unlucky, and triggered a defensive reaction when he took a large stingray by surprise from behind and was mistaken for a predator.

Elmer Gantry

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
We get quite large rays down here and they are amazing to swim with. So docile and pecaeful when not scared/provoked.

I've swum around them as far back as when I was a kid and have never heard of anyone ever being hurt by one, let alone killed.

Last edited:

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
man, you ought to try SCUBA diving in any number of spots in the Pacific

since, you're now in FL, you can try nearer spots in the Carribbean, or Cozumel

B_Monster

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was stung by a sting ray at blacks beach in san diego, it wasn't fun. My buddy pissed on it and it felt a little better.