I Saw Marines Kill Iraqi: Fake Crime Scene

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Lex, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Let's prove DC DEEP wrongand show that we, at least, can attend to more than one big story at a time.

Sailor: I saw Marines kill Iraqi civilian, fake crime scene

2. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Bury them under the prison.

3. ClaireTalon

Gold Member

Who wonders about incidents like these anymore? If you gradually decrease the minimum requirements for new recruits AND increase bonuses for recruiting numbers, you shouldn't wonder if more and more short-fused, potentially dangerous kids get into a situation they're not made for. Then send them on garrison duty to a country where they're in permanent danger to get their asses shot off or even more. And then it is really not demanding a highly-intelligent brain to expect these kids losing control. I wonder if anyone with the brass has ever read the Lord of the Flies?

4. hot-rod

Gold Member

I think you just hit the nail on the head with your comments........good reporting

5. dolf250

dolf250 New Member

Just another sad case. I think when you have these “wars” where you send soldiers into civilian areas where they are in danger from everybody all of the time it starts to reek havoc with some of them. When you look at the atrocities that occurred in Vietnam and the conditions that they were fighting under you can draw many parallel lines to Iraq and Afghanistan (not that it is any excuse.) The military attracts both the good and the bad like anything else, the difference seems to be that if the bad ones can keep it under wraps for a few months they are issued guns and released into another country. Undoubtedly there are many good ones who are there to do their best and try to bring honour to the flag, but that just slips below the radar when these atrocities happen and often result in weakening support for the soldiers themselves and not just the war. Weather the American public supports the war or not I hope that things do not degrade into the post Vietnam era where people despise those who fought for the actions of a few rotten people.

6. SteveHd

Gold Member

A bit of good news: There have been fewer incidents such as that one, compared to prior wars.

7. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

With as tightly controled as these stories are, how can you say that with any faith?

The whole Foley scandal has taken attention away from the fact that we are being lied to about the war (our overseas work is always presented in a certain way to the extent possible).

8. SteveHd

Gold Member

It's an opinion based upon what I've read in StrategyPage. They've written a number of articles, in the last few years, about the reduced number of such incidents. They have war historians on their staff that would know.

9. madame_zora

Gold Member

I won't speculate on numbers, but I think there are a lot of similarities to Vietnam in a lot of ways. Our young people are not accustomed to the kind of thinking of a culture like that- can you imagine how it feels to a young man or woman raised in America to go to another country and have to kill children because they might be carrying a bomb? I mean, where do you go from there?

One of the high costs of war is that like Vietnam, these people will be coming HOME one day, much worse for the wear. Judging from the budget cuts, there will be precious little debriefing going on before they are expected to just "fit themselves back in" to society. I don't expect to understand the atrocities they witnessed, but I do hold our government accountable for the actions of the service personnel. I think there's a whole lot of turning a blind eye to bad behavior going on over there because they are so sorely understaffed as it is.

I have no doubt that the great majority of our people go there with an earnest desire to defend our country, but like everything else, the bad apples
    get the attention because the bad they do is SO bad. When we discover that these things have been going on with the full knowledge of the superiors in charge, most of us hang our heads in shame. ANY average American knows that wrong is wrong, even if it IS a brown person being hunted and tortured.
    It is inexcusable for it to be happening in what is essentially a Holy War. Nigga please.

10. ClaireTalon

Gold Member

Maybe the most eerie thing is that these atrocities can be put completely on the environment at Iraq, which is very unhealthy. Vietnam showed that men committing cruel atrocities there became perfect, adjusted and controlled guys again and never tended to becoming so cruel again. It was a mixture of factors mostly imposed on the soldiers by the outside, and after these factors were gone, their normal personality returned again.

The long period of losses that is behind us will also have reduced the number of really senior, experienced superiors, especially at the lower level of the chain. Their replacements are promoted junior soldiers, which often lack the experience and the moderating features of senior superiors. So, it is nothing unexpectable if the moral goes down the toilet.

Draft saved Draft deleted