I saw the ultimate LAZY auto worker job.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by atomicTIGER, Dec 12, 2008.

1. atomicTIGER

atomicTIGER New Member

I couldn't believe my eyes! I saw this a few minutes ago on TV. It was a clip of a person working in a GM plant. Now picture this--There was a near completed car, a pile of those shitty doughnut spare tires next to it. Ok his job is to put the spares in the trunk. instead on picking up the dam thing and put it in the trunk this is what he does.--He steps back and there is a huge overhead crane type machine--he presses buttons and the crane goes over and SLOWLY picks up one spare--and SLOWLY little by little inches in up and into the trunk. It took 10 times as long as if the bastard would have picked up the fucking tire and put it in the fucking trunk. Its all because of the UNION. They don't want the bastard making $35(avg pay) to have to actually work hard--even though it take 10 times longer--they don't give a RATS ASS--they just want their big kick back from the workers--the UNION IS the reason why this country in going down the tubes. And all morning they(Union leaders) are on TV sticking their fucking nose into the situation. They need to ALL be put in prison for what they are THUGS! They are nothing more than ORGANIZED CRIME! :mad:

2. andrexx

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Careful. You'll be in for some flaming pretty quickly.

3. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    i am with TIGER on this one. it is UNBELIEVABLE how much the unions have contributed to the financial crisis of the auto makers and i think they should be held to task far greater than they are. The union bosses should have their asses dragged to capitol hill to justify the wanton waste that they are responsible for.

4. sixlittleboi

sixlittleboi Member

Albums:
    Yeah I agree. Unions say they are looking out for the employees and they do to a point. But the are just as greedy and money hungry as the executives they are fighting. When they strike they aren't just hurting the company they work for but all the other employees tied into the industry they happen to be working in. UAW for example, if they strike cars don't get made. Auto parts companies loose sales because of the slow down in production, so the auto parts companies slow production and then their employees suffer. There are many people surviving off of way less that do way more. I understand we all would like to make more money but at some point you have to realize if it becomes to expensive to have 12 people working, couldn't a company begin using robotic machines to do your job and have a third of the number of people they have working for them now. A plant using robots to build a car doesn't need a break room, bright lights, or an army of people and can work longer hours without getting tired. All that in the long run translates into savings for the bottom line.

5. quercusone

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Or maybe GM doesn't want to have to pay workmans comp every time someone hurts themselves by repetitively picking up tires. How do the Toyota factories do this job? My guess is a similar way. And GM workers are not being paid any more than Toyota workers. It's the retiree pensions and health care that are killing them.

6. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    OH SNAP!!!! :fing02:

7. mindseye

Gold Member

Just out of curiosity: was it made clear in that clip that operating the spare-tire crane was the worker's only responsibility in that plant?

I suspect, based on my own experiences working in an industrial plant 15 or so years ago, that workers were trained in multiple areas so that the plant wouldn't be at a standstill if someone called in sick. The worker you called "LAZY" may just happened to have gotten tire-crane work that day; unless you're sure that's what he does every day, I think you've judged him unfairly.

8. devron

devron New Member

Part of mismanagement, IMO. Either get rid of the worker or get rid of the machine. Picking up a donut tire isn't hard--working at wal-mart is harder. Of course that worker would then go to the Job Bank and get paid for doing absolutely nothing rather than at least running a crane.

9. sparky11point5

sparky11point5 New Member

OK, here is a counter example. I work as a financial and management consultant, and have had some experience with the Big 3.

-- A junior/mid level project manager will earn approximately $100K annually (which is $60 - $70 per hour fully loaded with benefits including retirement, etc).
    -- All this person essentially does is copy and past content from documents provided by engineering teams into one of approximately 160 document templates for managing projects. (OK, plus email, meetings, sending crap over the Internet ...)
    -- The main evaluation criteria for this person is completion of these documents for various project 'toll gates'. (The automakers all use variants of a capability maturity model-based management methodologies.)
    -- With the push for offshore engineering and design, there are many, many of these project managers in the organization.

So, complain about line workers and the Uniions, but management is the problem.

Executive management is responsible for --
    -- Hiring all these 'over paid' line works and midlevel management;
    -- Designing and building cars that are lower quality than most imports
    -- Offshoring tens of thousands of jobs
    -- Spending millions on lobbying against safety or green inititaives
    -- Buying patents and squashing them to prevent competition
    -- etc etc

Perhaps, it is easier to understand the guy with the tires then the more sophisticated issues about managing a company. I think this is why Congress gives billions to financial services, but cannot help manufacturing -- they actually understand what is getting built (sort of).

Billions of dollars for guys who shower before work, fuck off to guys to shower after work ...

10. D_Marazion Analdouche

Not entirely true. Last year was the first year a Toyota plant (Kentucky) had workers make more than UAW workers. A single plant mind you, not all of them. And even then it was because Toyota paid out a 6-8 thousand dollar bonus at the end of the year that pushed their hourly average over UAW.

Don't get me wrong, Management of these companies screwed up bad, but I loathe Unions. They were great when people were working in Mills 18 hours a day for pennies etc, but today they are just a money sink that lives off the backs of American workers.

11. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:

Not really...even Dick Cheney can do that.

12. devron

devron New Member

Management and engineering are definitely causes too.

Personally I think the whole thing is screwed from the top on down which is why I didn't want a bailout. The engineers are out of step and have been for decades, the execs are ineffectual if not flatly stupid and the workers (or at least the people who rep them) are spoiled and self-important and ALL of them are overpaid.

13. devron

devron New Member

Not in my store, he wouldn't! Evil-looking sucker. My store would have a happy atmosphere.

But I did mean in the stockroom and shelving departments (and I nkow you knew that, but I felt a need to point out anyway.) :p

14. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thank you.

I don't understand the need most people seem to feel to reduce everything to a dichotomy. The problem with management and labor, vis à vis these corporations' financial failures, is not an either/or predicament. As devron says, there are fuckups from top to bottom, and they all need to be addressed going forward.

It's for this reason primarily that I'm in favor of letting them restructure their broken corporate operational models under the auspices of a federal bankruptcy court. The notion of using public funds, even in the form of a loan, to prop up their existing failure for any length of time is just unacceptable.

15. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    It wasn't the UAW's idea to build larger and more gas guzzling models of vehicles. It was the High level management's ties to the oil and gas industry that forced Detroit to build inefficient fuel consumption vehicles.

The 70's, 80's and 90's were horrible times for Detroit... the shit cars that they made ran their good name straight into the ground.

They had a chance this decade to make better vehicles but chose to start building more and more SUV's out of heavy steel which required lots and lots of gas to get going down the road.

They acted like severe assholes and ran their companies like crap.

And just what the fuck does this have to do with the UAW?

Tell me which cars that they designed please? Tell me which decision of theirs led to lower fuel efficiencies over time?

Is the UAW responsible for the Pinto, Gremlin, Pacer or Chevette?

Who the fuck wanted to own those cars that made you look like a fucking dork when you drove down the road.

A Volkswagon Beetle has never been an expensive car, but the name Volkswagon has never been run into the ground like GM, Ford and Chrysler have... and so people have been able to drive their Beetles with a little pride over the years. It is the same for Honda, Mazda, Nissan and Toyota. You can drive those cars without having the stink of the Detroit car design ethos of the last three decades.

16. D_Marazion Analdouche

lol the Gremlin.

The collapse of the the automakers isn't the fault of the UAW, but they didn't help. Top to bottom the salaries for these failing companies are a disaster across the bored.

17. B_dxjnorto

B_dxjnorto New Member

Remember the Mustang II?

18. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh God... that was such a sad sack of a car following those glorious fastback marvels that ended in 1973. The 4 cylinders must have been absolute DOGS! lol!!!

#18 tripod, Dec 12, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  19. Biggin'

Biggin' New Member

Hahahah.

We wont buy their cars, but they are taking our money anyway. You all voted for these DEM fools. AND THEY WILL GO BANKRUPT ANYWAY.

GOVT CANNOT DO FOR YOU, ONLY YOU CAN DO FOR YOURSELF.

If the govt was SO good at running things, we should remember the washington veterans hospital.

Funny how with all this Illinois stuff going n, the press seems to be unable to mention party affiliation in all of their articles. And at the same time, forgetting how (R) jindal and (R) Cao have been overlooked.

Hmmmm Marley, lets see how many minorities have been nominated for cabinet / elected in senate or congress by democrats, the TRUE party of segregation. (lincoln was a republican - look up ROBERT BYRD)

AND ITS BOARD

#19 Biggin', Dec 12, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  20. Biggin'

Biggin' New Member

Go UNIONS! now our cars can be just like our teachers.

Draft saved Draft deleted