I should have enjoyed that time more?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by OhWiseOne, Sep 23, 2011.

1. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Just listening to some music right now and my mind is at work. Everyone, well maybe not everyone, looks back at life and thinks what a special time, I should have enjoyed it more? I think about those moments in my life, people that have passed or are still here, cruising with my friends on the back roads with cornfields all around (road farming), alone time just me and my thoughts. Special times are not for sadness but joy. Memories are just that, memories but it is part of your past, present and future.

My thoughts and nothing else.

This may have been more appropriate as blog than a forum but my thoughts landed here.

#1 OhWiseOne, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

Naah, not really, but yeah, I'll probably get to hear I'm too young to think I should have enjoyed a certain time more :rolleyes:
    I just take everything I can out of a certain period in my life. It would be a shame to regret it.

3. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    ^ This.

I think - part of the fact we think we could've enjoyed those times more was because they were so carefree...not worrying too much at the time was probably part of the appeal. Focusing on things more might have lessened the effect?

At the moment I've taken to being aware of the things I do have (which partially contradicts my first point, lol), and realising that even everyday stuff is often quite special. Makes me see that what I have now is, in a lot of cases, just as good as 'then'.

I agree that memories are for joy rather than regret. Focus on them sometimes to get in touch with those feelings again - then look forward to more in the future. :D

4. SprinkleMe69

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    There's always great memories to look back on and reminisce about, bring a smile to your face and think "that was a great time." There's so much more good to come. More memories to make. Cheers to the future and what it will bring. ;)

5. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Nice av, Sprinkle. :) Iris?

6. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

'Should have' is a rather judgmental phrase. You experienced that time how you experienced it, and the people - it's all part of what makes you you. Would you have enjoyed it as much as you did had you been desperately trying to enjoy it? Probably not. Life is what it is. What-iffing and should-having are futile.

7. exwhyzee

Gold Member

Yeah, I agree with Manly. Authenticity and integrity are important...and if you had tried to be something that you aren't, you might not look back on those times fondly either (Should I have been myself?).

But...you ain't dead yet...and if you want to walk in someone else's shoes for a while (understanding that this is an effort to experiment beyond your routine), why not give it a try and make some interesting memories for your to look back upon fondly in the future?

8. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I agree that memories are for joy rather than regret. Focus on them sometimes to get in touch with those feelings again - then look forward to more in the future. :D[/QUOTE]

You got my point. I don't regret times in my past just reflect on them sometimes. You are a smart man Joll....:dance: Maybe Luka can learn this dance? (random thought)

9. erratic

Gold Member

Yeah, I agree with pieter, manly, et al. I try not to "should" all over the place. It is a dangerous word.

People tell me I should have enjoyed high school more. Too bad I'm gay and it sucked. A lot. But then, I had amazing friends and some really great teachers. I can't say they sucked, or that I hated my time with them.

I think every stage in life presents us with a mixed bag, and we do ourselves a disservice by painting over the good, the bad, or the mediocre in an attempt to draw a broad narrative about how it was.

10. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    You got my point. I don't regret times in my past just reflect on them sometimes. You are a smart man Joll....:dance: Maybe Luka can learn this dance? (random thought)[/QUOTE]
    Thanks Owo! But no...Luka can't learn it, he only does the dance of the seven veils. :frown1: Or is it seven Veals? :wink:

11. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks Owo!
    But no...Luka can't learn it, he only does the dance of the seven veils. :frown1: Or is it seven Veals? :wink:

12. SprinkleMe69

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    Thanks Joll. No clue haha was on campus yesterday and snapped it. :biggrin1:

Draft saved Draft deleted