I think I cant handle this site...

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Okay, fixed my browser to display Latin-1. As long as it changes them to Latin-1, I'm fine with it.

I've had problems on Usenet because all those non-English characters turn into cokebottles on my newsreader. Some people still use archaic computers because all the newer ones are full of adware and features you don't need. (Who needs a version of MS Office with the y-umlaut? What's a y-umlaut for beyond heavy metal, anyway?)

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by jonb@Apr 19 2005, 03:46 AM
What's a y-umlaut for beyond heavy metal, anyway?

When used in conjunction with y, the sign ¨ would be considered a diaeresis rather than an umlaut. It is used, though admittedly rarely, in a few French proper names. The only two that come to mind are the name of French novelist Pierre Louÿs and the Parisian neighbourhood l'Haÿ-les-Roses. Maybe some of our French members can think of a few more.

Child_of_the_sun

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by cityboy@Apr 19 2005, 12:57 AM
Wow there must be something going on in Iceland. I just got my copy of Out/Traveler today and it features none other than Iceland! There are several pages showing all the fun gay places to go and has a very hot blond presumably Icelandic guy on the cover.
[post=301871]Quoted post[/post]​
that can't have been icelandic... well atleast a porly updated brochure since there are only two MAYBE three gay places to go here, and one of them is only gay on fiday and saturday nights and extremely dull, the very weathered leather club and the last is but a cafe.... x(

Alley Blue

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
[/quote]
Hæ! hver ert þú og hvar dveluru á hnettinum?
[post=301587]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

Well how bout this, handsome ....

Jsi? jkjdk eroo lldc,,md ..,mflmd !!!!!! jdkjdkljd???? bkj#@?

Translation: gibberish

I could'nt resist! :D

Child_of_the_sun

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper@Apr 19 2005, 11:21 PM
Hæ! hver ert þú og hvar dveluru á hnettinum?

I don't speak Icelandic, but I think 'Hæ! hver ert þú og ...' = "Hey! Where are you and..." The rest? No idea.
[post=302257]Quoted post[/post]​
close :p but not completely right, hæ hver ert þú = hi who are you

yaoifun

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by Child_of_the_sun+Apr 18 2005, 03:35 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Child_of_the_sun &#064; Apr 18 2005, 03:35 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by yaoifun@Apr 18 2005, 06:30 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-hung_big
@Apr 17 2005, 02:20 PM
COTS is that YOU in your avatar?

EDIT: I just found out that it IS you&#33; HOT DAMN&#33; *Jumps on you* HIYA&#33; ;)

As for conversation: What&#39;s yer name? LOL (unless of course you dun wanna share that)

Chris

P.S. Am I the only one who hasn&#39;t noticed COTS thus far? Man...what I&#39;ve missed :p
[post=301469]Quoted post[/post]​

I&#39;ve noticed, but knowing how shy I am I hardly talk to anyone&#33; cots, you are sexy&#33; You seem like a nice guy too&#33; Maybe I&#39;ll visit Iceland someday...my great-uncle actually did two years ago, and brought me back some volcanic rock lmao. Don&#39;t worry, you&#39;ll find someone *hugs*
[post=301635]Quoted post[/post]​

*redness in the face* :D just let me know if you come over ;)
[post=301648]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Hey, it&#39;s not your fault that your hot and a nice guy&#33; :p

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper+Apr 18 2005, 08:17 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DoubleMeatWhopper &#064; Apr 18 2005, 08:17 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jonb@Apr 19 2005, 03:46 AM
What&#39;s a y-umlaut for beyond heavy metal, anyway?

When used in conjunction with y, the sign ¨ would be considered a diaeresis rather than an umlaut. It is used, though admittedly rarely, in a few French proper names. The only two that come to mind are the name of French novelist Pierre Louÿs and the Parisian neighbourhood l&#39;Haÿ-les-Roses. Maybe some of our French members can think of a few more.
[post=301929]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
Yeah, and Spinal Tap has an N-umlaut. WTF is up with the fleur de liss? (FWIW, in rare cases where Lakota is written in something other than logographs, we use a weird mixture of diacritics. Standard for the Cheyenne River rez is tildes for a, i, and u, some single or double acutes, and haceks for some c, g, h, s, and z. I think the vowels are messy; some Lakota vowels are both accented and nasal. The character used for glottal stops is sorta like a question mark but without a point.)

Personally, I think Microsoft should do like most companies: Just add bucky bits (i.e., extra bits beyond the first one.) instead of taking up what most companies reserve for command characters. Or just fix their "save as webpage" feature to produce turn é into &eacute;, for example.

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DoubleMeatWhopper)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jonb

When used in conjunction with y, the sign ¨ would be considered a diaeresis rather than an umlaut. It is used, though admittedly rarely, in a few French proper names. The only two that come to mind are the name of French novelist Pierre Louÿs and the Parisian neighbourhood l&#39;Haÿ-les-Roses. Maybe some of our French members can think of a few more.
[/b][/quote]
Louijs was from Brussels originally; his last name is Flemish. He changed it to Louÿs when he moved to Paris.

Child_of_the_sun

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by Dr. Dilznick+Apr 20 2005, 12:46 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr. Dilznick &#064; Apr 20 2005, 12:46 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper@
<!--QuoteBegin-jonb

Louijs was from Brussels originally; his last name is Flemish. He changed it to Louÿs when he moved to Paris.
[post=302495]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

*stares with a blank expression* :blink:

Child_of_the_sun

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by SomeGuyOverThere@Apr 20 2005, 08:01 PM
Hmmm, how much does a flight to Iceland from the UK cost? :/
[post=302597]Quoted post[/post]​
wlel I dont know... I know I&#39;m paying about 30000 kr. to go to the UK next month.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by Dr. Dilznick@Apr 20 2005, 12:46 PM

I know that Louÿs was born in Ghent, Belgium, but every biography of him that I&#39;ve read (and I&#39;ve read quite a few) give his birth name as Pierre-Félix Louis in French, not Flemish. My point was that it is a proper name that contains a y with a diaeresis.

Ineligible

1st Like
Media
In Dutch (and its Flemish variant) ij is a vowel (as in Rembrandt van Rijn). It is often considered as a single character - Dutch typewriters used to have an ij key, for example. When handwriting it, you effectively write a y and then put in the two dots, and an interchangeability between ij and y, and IJ and Y, is accepted.

B_HungSpermBoy

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by Child_of_the_sun@Apr 17 2005, 11:46 AM
Glod, I just realised that I dont think I can handle this forum with this bad of a blueball case :p where are all the guys from iceland? why isn&#39;t one of them here :p EKKI VERA FEIMNIR STRÁKAR&#33; (translation: "dont be shy boys"). Its horrible because I get a twinge of pain in my chest when I read about these hung guys and then I feel bad cuz I want to get to know them better but their so far away all of them :( stupid rock in the middle of some ocean I can&#39;t remember the name of.... on a happier note I&#39;d like to use this topic to have a conversation with anybody at all, strike up a question or a fun topic and lets converse B)

~Child_of_the_sun
[post=301435]Quoted post[/post]​

Hey,Child of the Sun. You can contact me any time. I hope you&#39;re ok. :D