I Think I'm Starting To Get Offended

monel

Sexy Member
Media
I thinkit is safe to say that I am among the group of "men of a certain age". I rarely see a doctor and almost never for more than a routine check up. I'm in pretty good shape and don't fell.any different then I did at 25. Yet anytime I sit down to watch television I am bombarded with "warnings" - otherwise known as ads - about heart trouble, ed, low T, indegestion, various acid attacts and a variety of other ailments from which I apparently should be suffering. I don't take any medication and am not inclined to ask my doctor about whether I should do so. Am I missing something - he asks rhetorically - or is my generation really in the mess that the ads would suggest?

parr

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I thinkit is safe to say that I am among the group of "men of a certain age". I rarely see a doctor and almost never for more than a routine check up. I'm in pretty good shape and don't fell.any different then I did at 25. Yet anytime I sit down to watch television I am bombarded with "warnings" - otherwise known as ads - about heart trouble, ed, low T, indegestion, various acid attacts and a variety of other ailments from which I apparently should be suffering. I don't take any medication and am not inclined to ask my doctor about whether I should do so. Am I missing something - he asks rhetorically - or is my generation really in the mess that the ads would suggest?

You worry too much, igore the ads. Now go have fun.:biggrin1:

seffnerman

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
those ads are mostly for men who don't take care of there self's and trust me there are a lot of them out there if you are having regular check ups then you should be fine but its alway better to be safe then sorry it is good to check NO MATTER what your age is my older brother died b4 he turned 40

parchissi

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
While your sitting in front of a television set you are a captive audience for advertising and I guess the power of suggestion comes thru loud and clear !!! You can talk yourself into having all sorts of ailments if you allow that to happen. As you age your body does develop the odd aches and pains here and there - but no need to become alarmed at the suggestion of what you are "supposed" to be suffering from when you know your doing ok. Cheers.

monel

Sexy Member
Media
I am in agreement with what's been said here and I'm not worried. But I am getting tired of the prevalence of these ads. In addition, where once they seemed to be aimed at an older demographic, now they seem to be targeting the under 50's population. This suggests there is a viable market among these consumers and starts me to wonder whether this generation is in worse shape then I think.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think we are in a generation of people who are accustomed to taking pills to make everything OK and the pharmaceutical companies are banking on the fact that the trend continues.
I had a really candid conversation with my doctor during my last physical checkup and he said to me the longer I can live my life and not be on any medication is likely going to be beneficial to my overall well being but longevity as well. I really took that conversation to heart because he wanted to prescribe cholesterol medication and I've managed to get it under control with diet and exercise. The conversation I had with my doctor and the fact that I was able to take control of a potential problem without medication is something the drug companies who are spending millions of dollars advertising each year don't want to hear about I'm sure.

Media
Based on the ads, every medication comes with a disclaimer of side effects that are usually worse than what is being medicated. Who needs that?

I only go with what my doctors suggest and ignore much of what I see in advertising.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
My body is probably about a million times more fucked than most men 20 years older than me, I have a list of ailments and conditions as long as my arm, it's bad genes I tell ya.

Mind you it doesn't show :p

monel

Sexy Member
Media
My body is probably about a million times more fucked than most men 20 years older than me, I have a list of ailments and conditions as long as my arm, it's bad genes I tell ya.

Mind you it doesn't show :p

I'm sure they have a pill for bad genes. If not, stay tuned...

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
My only concern about what you say, is that you "rarely" see a doctor. Make sure you get an annual physical done. Blood & urine tests, prostate etc. There aren't ailments you should have, but always be proactive with your health and get that yearly check up.

monel

Sexy Member
Media
Thank you LaFemme and SprinkleMe. I have in fact had a physical recently and everything is A-OK. I also understand that the pharmaceutical companies are trying to sell their wares. I guess I'm toubled at the number and prevalence of the ads; the message that "You" may be suffering from ailment X and this pill can fix it. So many ailments and so much medication and all targeting a group of people that I don't think should be in that bad of shape.

S

superbot

I think we are in a generation of people who are accustomed to taking pills to make everything OK and the pharmaceutical companies are banking on the fact that the trend continues.
I had a really candid conversation with my doctor during my last physical checkup and he said to me the longer I can live my life and not be on any medication is likely going to be beneficial to my overall well being but longevity as well. I really took that conversation to heart because he wanted to prescribe cholesterol medication and I've managed to get it under control with diet and exercise. The conversation I had with my doctor and the fact that I was able to take control of a potential problem without medication is something the drug companies who are spending millions of dollars advertising each year don't want to hear about I'm sure.
That's one of the most sensible things I've heard in a while!!

Intrigue

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

I Agree wholeheartedly sir! Medication is a crutch for many. There are some who may need it, but the reality is that there has NOT been enough time and effort put into truly healthy eating and living for people. You should see what they are feeding the children here! By the time they are 12 some already have diabetes. Are you kidding me? There is something seriously wrong and the pharmaceutical companies and food companies are happy to let it happen as long as the money keeps rolling in. Everytime we buy something, we cast a vote. I vote for healthier food, everytime I buy groceries. My wifes condition originally stems from malnutrition, as did her brothers. There is a surprising amount of information out there, please do your own research as I don't have the available time, that supports the idea that nutrition is more essential than "medication". I'll leave with this quote:
"If we could give every individual the right amount of nourishment and exercise, not too little and not too much, we would have found the safest way to health. "
Hippocrates

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thank you LaFemme and SprinkleMe. I have in fact had a physical recently and everything is A-OK. I also understand that the pharmaceutical companies are trying to sell their wares. I guess I'm toubled at the number and prevalence of the ads; the message that "You" may be suffering from ailment X and this pill can fix it. So many ailments and so much medication and all targeting a group of people that I don't think should be in that bad of shape.
You should be female...and see all the ones directed at us.:wink:

nicenycdick

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think the decision by the FDA in 1997 to allow pharmaceutical companies to advertise their products on TV was a horrendous one. In fact, as far as I am aware, the United States is the only industrialized nation in the world to allow drug ads on television. I can understand why the patients, doctors and drug companies think that those ads are a good idea. But I would think that insurance companies (who I hate more than drug manufacturers) would oppose the practice and the possibility that it promotes drug treatment for non-existence conditions.

Hmmm....maybe the pharmaceuticals and the insurance companies are owned by the same multi-national evil empire....hmmmm.