I turned 20 today, and I feel like shit.

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Don't think this is all coming from a place of depression. EVERYONE really feels the angst in the early 20s. You are getting mature, taste is changing, friendships shifting. Most people, if they really remember their youth, wouldn't want to repeat it. May I suggest you keep yourself busy in education, or fitness, or something you want to explore. Use this time to better yourself and give you more flexabilty in your future. On the path, you will meet other like people. Just put yourself out there. Keep your chin up and have a piece of cake. Happy Birthday...celebrate you..and keep celebrating. Cheers

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've suffered from anxiety and depression for years, and I always thought that with time and therapy I might be able to overcome it. I long to be a child again, and have not been able to cope with growing up. I go to college, teach guitar, and generally live a very normal life, but somehow, there's always been that something that never quite clicked for me.

Now I'm in the double digits, and I feel worse. I haven't had friends, or a special girl in years. I often feel as if I'm still 13, struggling to grasp any real motivation or lust for living. I am here if you want to talk. I promise.

Anyone else have similar circumstances, or have any advice for how to deal with this?
Ive dealt with Anxiety and depression all my life . I think the best way of dealing with it is coming to terms with yourself. saying this is who i am and living one day at a time. If need be living a moment at a time. For me the meds made things worse and Therapy never seemed to help. You are young and as you get older you will understand and even learn to love who you are. Meds and Therapy do wonders for many people so try see a doctor. Life gets better as you get older by simply understanding it and welcoming it with open arms whether it be good or bad. So with a sense of peace see that you dont walk alone. There are many walking right along with you.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Happy birthday - but you never feel grown up inside, we all do all the grown up things but inside we all still feel like we're bits of kids faking our way in the world :) As long as you do all the grown up things don't beat yourself up, but you are going to have to force yourself to go out in the world and make friends, friends keep you grounded and you have less time to focus on your self perceived inadequacies.

sbeBen

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've suffered from anxiety and depression for years, and I always thought that with time and therapy I might be able to overcome it. I long to be a child again, and have not been able to cope with growing up. I go to college, teach guitar, and generally live a very normal life, but somehow, there's always been that something that never quite clicked for me.

Now I'm in the double digits, and I feel worse. I haven't had friends, or a special girl in years. I often feel as if I'm still 13, struggling to grasp any real motivation or lust for living.

Anyone else have similar circumstances, or have any advice for how to deal with this?
You don't have to be grown up at 20! I have never grown -up.:biggrin1: Make the best of your chillike ways and be fun about it. Relax and you will get friends.

Happy birthday!:smile:

She speaks the truth. Never have I ever felt anything like I thought I would feel at 41. I'm not the same person but I don't feel anything like an adult. I make irresponsible choices (though not as many), I worry about what people think of me (though not as much), I am not nearly as organized as I thought I would be, nor am I living in a big house with a great job, beautiful wife, and happy tow-headed children playing on the lawn. Thank God! I think about my youth and teen years all the time. My 20s sucked royally due to all my psych problems and I don't remember much of them. Whole years passed by that I recall very little of.

The big trick is to let go of your expectations of what you think you should be. Do that and the world just opens up. Constantly affirm yourself even if you don't believe it, and rest assured that even the most together person you know has issues they've just learned to hide really well. I swear to you this true. It takes most adults years and years to discover it but it is completely true. Nobody is as together as they appear. We're all swimming around wondering where we're going and what tomorrow will bring. We all question what we do, what we believe, and what we know. I'm sure even the Pope wonders if God exists from time to time.

The one guiding light you have is yourself. Give yourself a break. I'm very serious about it. Be very wary of basing your expectations of yourself on what you think other people are expecting of themselves.

I'm not so gay as to be big into show tunes, but as Eva Peron says in Evita:

[SIZE=-1]"It's hard to keep momentum when it's you that you are following."

In other words, focus on what you want and do that. The transition from childhood to adulthood is major because you're going from living under the expectations of parents, teachers, and other adults, to following your own expectations. Short of the law, you answer to nobody but yourself. If you don't, you'll be terribly unhappy in life. The more you learn to please yourself and take confidence in what you do for yourself, the happier and more confident you'll be. Read some of the posts in these threads to see what adults really go through:
[/SIZE]What would you forfeit for doing what you like?

and

Personal Growth

Happy birthday - but you never feel grown up inside, we all do all the grown up things but inside we all still feel like we're bits of kids faking our way in the world :) As long as you do all the grown up things don't beat yourself up, but you are going to have to force yourself to go out in the world and make friends, friends keep you grounded and you have less time to focus on your self perceived inadequacies.