I Voted for Obama, but now..........

Discussion in 'Politics' started by D_N Flay Table, Jul 15, 2010.

?

Obama Voters Pleased or dissapointed?

1. He is doing a GREAT JOB! I am very happy!!

46 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. He isn't doing the things that I voted him into do.

34 vote(s)
    42.5%
  1. D_N Flay Table

D_N Flay Table New Member

In 2008 I voted for Obama.. I was silly enough to believe what a politician had to say. Only to be let down on every promise he made.
    Did you vote for Obama?
    How do you feel about him now?

2. reuben36

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think President Obama under the circumstances of what he had to take on upon becoming president ie 2 wars, a recesssion, record numbers of housing foreclousures, wallstreet in shambles and numerous other things he's been outstanding. I'd vote for him again tomorrow if i could.

3. D_N Flay Table

Really?
    What were the main reasons you voted for him?
    What has he done that makes you happy?

4. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I didn't vote for him.

But I like him now. He a big improvement over the dimwit that previously held the office and that in itself is enough for me to like what he's trying to do.

Bush was kinda like banging your head against the wall... It feels so good when you stop.

5. D_N Flay Table

Oh yeah... BUSH WAS TERRIBLE!! HAHAHAHA
    But.... if you look closely Obama has expanded the patriot act, expanded Bush's wars, and put us deeper in the 'recession'.
    I had the "hope" for "change" but right now.... not so much.

6. reuben36

Gold Member

Albums:
    Healthcare reform is finally in place, thank-gosh. The misguided war in Iraq is soon gonna be ending, we finally have the amount of troops in Afganistan that are General's were requesting, the housing market hasnt stabilized but it's in better position than it was. When he took office job's were being lost on average of close to 600,000 a month and thats no longer the case. So yes he's done alot of what i wanted him to do.

7. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Please explain how the President has put us in a deeper recession when almost ALL economists state that he has kept us from going into a deeper recession. He has gotten more Major legislation passed "quickly" than any President of recent memory and is doing exactly what he said he would be doing while he was campaigning. I voted for him and plan to WORK for and vote for him again in 2012.

PolitiFact | The Obameter: Tracking Barack Obama's Campaign Promises

8. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Not enough choices on your obviously slanted poll. Two extreme views that leave nothing for anyone who is in the middle to select. Nice job. :rolleyes:

So let me answer this question my way...
    I voted for Obama with the knowledge that he is just another politician. He wasn't my first choice during the primary, however, given the options one could select for in November he was the better choice. He made a long list of promises, some of which I knew he wouldn't be able to be completely fulfilled or would be received with major opposition. I knew before I even marked his name on my ballot that he was also a human being who may not be able to live up to every expectation and will make mistakes along the way. There have been some good moments and some noted disappointments, but considering the alternatives and their message of societal negativity and hostility towards difference I'm glad that I voted the way that I did. AND now, if the election was to happen today I would vote for Obama again. That's because he's done enough things to let me know that he's at least trying to do what's right, and the opposition has nothing going for them but a message of ignorance, negativity & indifference with absolutely NO candidate worth a damn to support.

I guess that would have been too many words to put alongside a button, eh? :biggrin:

#8 B_VinylBoy, Jul 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  9. D_N Flay Table

Hahaha.
    Ok.
    We just differ on opinion.
    He pushed the health care though even though the public didn't want it.
    I will tip my hat to you when we are no longer occupying Iraq.
    We shouldn't be in Afghanistan in the first place.
    The housing market has crashed, and has some of the lowest numbers in years.
    The unemployment rate has gone up briefly because of all the people hired to do the census, but soon all those people will be laid off.
    So....
    Maybe you are right.
    Maybe I am wrong.
    Time will tell.

10. D_N Flay Table

Great link IS!
    Interesting to go over it.
    Here is what really bothers me about Obama.
    1.The patriot act.
    2. Signing Statements.
    3. The wars.
    -- When the bush tax cuts end in Jan... YIKES! That will be scary!
    Even though I hate bush with a PASSION!

11. ColoradoGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

DJG -- we could talk about all of these as issues as items that were "inherited", but I'm intrigued about the last one. Let me ask you a question about the tax cuts and I'll use the metaphor of drugs because we all "get" drugs.

Which of these is worse:

• creating a junkie's dependence,
    • encouraging a junkie's dependence, or
    • ending a junkie's dependence?
    Please take a minute and explain your answer.

12. idesofmarch

idesofmarch New Member

Why didn't the public want it? I think, this should have been done ages ago.

13. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

The public did want it. Certain aspects of HCR, such as the Public Option, maintained heavy support with the American people all throughout the process. Most of the negative responses towards health care generated from the way it was handled in Congress. It wasn't an overall rejection of reform as DJG alludes to.

In other words... he's either lying or he didn't know the full details.

14. mako shark

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I did vote for him but am still waiting to see if he will deliver on any of his campain promises... The fact that he is is suing the state of Arizona really proves that he is a politian first AND that he is willing to waste our hard earned money on just about anything.

15. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Actually, the fact that the Department of Justice is suing Arizona is to defend the Constitution which leaves all laws regarding immigration in the hands of the Federal Government, not the States.

16. ColoradoGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    You know, ibvettguy, this is a common misunderstanding in the US. (Apparently, there was a lot of sleeping going on in that "Government" class in the 11th grade.)

The fact that any President (actually, it's not the President who does the suing, it's his Attorney General) sues a governmental entity doesn't mean that anybody is "playing politics". It typically means that the constitutionality of an issue is challenged or that a law or ruling has encroached on another law or ruling and it requires a Court to hear the arguments and decide who is right and whether a law or interpretation will survive.

Holder v. Arizona is all about the State of Arizona creating a law concerning illegal immigrants that preempts Federal jurisdiction.

Have you ever seen one of those movies where the FBI moves in to investigate a murder or something and they get cock-blocked by the locals? It usually boils down to the sunglass-wearing federal agent pointing his finger into the chest of the Sheriff of Podunk County as they argue about "whose" jurisdiction the case lies in? Holder v. Arizona is sort of the same thing. Just on a bigger and more formal scale.

Unfortunately, tax money will be spent on it, but it's not President Obama's choosing. Any sitting president (Republican or Democrat) would challenge any state or municipality that was encroaching on 'federal jurisdiction'. It's just how the system works. Hope that helps.

17. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Some key points here:

1) I agree with VB as regards how the poll is structured. I did not respond because none of them reflected my actual opinion, which is one of ambivalence flavored by pragmatism. In this regard, I believe that the majority of the board, given the possibility of such a response, would have responded in just that way.

2) The debate on HCR was problematic for several reasons. There were early efforts at disseminating disinformation (death panels, anyone?) that riled up a whole lot of people who didn't understand the reality of what was being proposed. It was further compromised by many people who felt that it didn't go nearly far enough: there is/was strong support for a public option (or maybe even a Canadian-type single-payer plan) which never made it into the final bill, which even its fiercest supporters agree is flawed in its current state and will need revision as it becomes implemented.

3) Of course the President is a politician; what else would he be? It's insanely disingenuous to say that anyone who ran a campaign of his quality, sophistication and ultimate success could possibly have been anything other than a highly-gifted politician. Certain jobs require certain skills: you wouldn't want your barber cleaning your teeth, would you?

4) It's very difficult to build a consensus with an opposition party that refuses to be anything other than obstructionists with what might best be described as a fluid sense of the truth.

5) On some key issues, including adequate funding for HIV/AIDS, the Obama administration has been negligent to the point of malpractice: there are currently over 2300 Americans on ADAP waiting lists for life-saving medications. This is completely unacceptable and will result in deaths: no hyperbole, it's a fact.

18. houtx48

Gold Member

He is doing ok with what he was given to deal with, i.e. Zippy's fucking mess. I often wonder why he is not more decisive. I do not think he is particularly a friend of the gay population but he ran on that and he has to give it some lip service from time to time but not to much to keep the Christians appeased sorta. It also may be the time when people get use to him and state questioning his job performance. I'll probably vote for him again.

19. sargon20

Gold Member

As stated earlier, the 'poll' is as polarizing as politics today, painted into a corner with '1' or '0' as your choice. Given the opposition is certainly a zero and many ways less than zero in every way imaginable, I would choose '1' again over and over and over again.

20. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    ^ What he said. Excepting:

In the primaries I was largely undecided though I would've supported either Clinton or Obama had she or he gotten the nod, providing they both ran a clean campaign and didn't resort to "below the belt" campaigning.

I've stated before that no candidate delivers exactly what everyone wants. One supports how closely his/her political philosophy matches one's own, and given his opposition and what they stood (and stand) for, it was for me a "no-brainer".

As V-Boy said, he's trying, his heart is in the right place, and it's clear to me (as it should be to everyone) that is opposition has engaged in deliberate obstruction for the purpose of having this administration fail- obstructionism that has been advantageous to special interests and big business, while DISADVANTAGEOUS to the average American.

Or as I've been saying, they (from the far right) don't give a flying f**K about US.

Draft saved Draft deleted