I Voted for Obama, but now..........

Obama Voters Pleased or dissapointed?

• He is doing a GREAT JOB! I am very happy!!

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • He isn't doing the things that I voted him into do.

Votes: 34 42.0%

• Total voters

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
So let me answer this question my way...
I voted for Obama with the knowledge that he is just another politician. He wasn't my first choice during the primary, however, given the options one could select for in November he was the better choice. He made a long list of promises, some of which I knew he wouldn't be able to be completely fulfilled or would be received with major opposition. I knew before I even marked his name on my ballot that he was also a human being who may not be able to live up to every expectation and will make mistakes along the way. There have been some good moments and some noted disappointments, but considering the alternatives and their message of societal negativity and hostility towards difference I'm glad that I voted the way that I did. AND now, if the election was to happen today I would vote for Obama again. That's because he's done enough things to let me know that he's at least trying to do what's right, and the opposition has nothing going for them but a message of ignorance, negativity & indifference with absolutely NO candidate worth a damn to support.

Precisely.

I think he's doing a more than reasonable job under current circumstances. I forgive him the "extravagance" of the promises that had to be made to be elected while holding him to their premises. He will need two terms to achieve his agenda and I plan to help him accomplish that.

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

Account Disabled
Media
I voted for him, and I might again in 2012, especially when you consider the spectrum of nuts and flakes that the GOP is likely to come up with.

However, while I applaud him for getting health insurance revamped, I am disappointed that:

• there has not been more focus on the economy
  • there has not been better communication on the economy
  • he allowed congress to write the stimulus bill, and it ended up full of pork instead of efficient stimulus
  • that he has ramped up the Afghanistan war, when what is needed is super-surgically-tactical anti-terrorism moves in that entire part of the world
  • the Gulf oil spill was allowed to show a lack of command and action
I'm one of those swing voters who wants to see him do well but is questioning when he's gonna ramp up his game.

And the poll was extremely limited in real choices ... too black and white. Nice try.

I'm not that concerned about the deficit yet; this year, it would be a mistake to slash government spending because the economy is not out of the woods. However, three to five years out, we need now to see plans for a refocusing of priorities and working through revised plans for Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid ... all those really costly benefits programs.

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I agree Ides...

we are the ONLY 'major' country that does (did) not offer its citizens basic health care.... forget the right to vote, fight for your country, etc..

isn't the right of a semblance of basic health care a right too? We have been overdue on this for eons. Does the system need a major overhaul? yes. does government need an overhaul? yes. are we screwed? yes.

funny about the 'politicians' voting on healthcare, as they will never ever need it- they are 'granted' healthcare that we can only dream of (oh and getting paid quite generously for the rest of their lives..)

Why didn't the public want it? I think, this should have been done ages ago.

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media

I voted for and supported the Obama/Biden ticket not because I thought that he was the best qualified for the job. I supported that ticket because he was the best of the choices we were given at the time.

In order to play "politics" John McCain had pandered heavily for a period of years to the most extreme conservatives within the Republican Party and by some was still not considered "conservative enough". In spite of claims to be a "Maverick", his voting record was quite supportive of the policies of the administration which has placed this country in the position it is in. If he supported the thinking that got us here, how was placing him in a position of control again going to make things better?

If I could stomach McCain, I was completely unable to stomach Sarah Palin. Palin existed simply because she was a person who could be controlled by the most extreme elements within the Republican Party. Records show that she was under investigation at the time of the campaign for questionable performance as Governor of Alaska. In fact, she resigned the Governorship of that state before even completion of her first term.

The third factor was the age of Presidential Candidate McCain. Good or bad we would have been electing a man who under the pressure of that job would have had little chance of completing two terms as President of the United States. The death of McCain in office, resignation of McCain or removal of McCain based on health issues would have placed Palin in the driver's seat and that was even more scary.

I see now, as I saw at the election, a "flawed" man in Barak Obama. My opinions and perceptions have not changed.

At the same time, Barak Obama has faced a combination of problems which in and of themselves are of record historical level. He is trying to deal with numerous financial drains of multiple "wars" created by others before he was sworn into office. Not even Franklin Delano Roosevelt had special interest groups and major corporations with so much power to control via lobbiests. This situation is unprecedented.

Taking power away from Corporations and returning it to the American People is a process. It will take years to even begin to restore this Country to the greatness it once exemplified. At each junction in the road, corruption and Corporate dollars, will be doing everything possible to return to the concept of "Government of the Corporation, by the Corporation, and For the Corporation." In World History, this has no precedent and it is Obama that is trying to deal with this new and possibly greatest threat in world history.

My observation in flaws with Obama are as follows:

1.) He is far to conciliatory, he wants everybody to be friends and agree not realizing that these people simply do not care.

2.) He is blindsided and can be deluded in to thinking negotiation is always a "win". From what I see he negotiates away 90% of something to get a consensus and then thinks he won something.

3.) He is a very unemotional person by nature. He does not display emotion easily in any manner and for that reason he is easily mis-read. His very "cold" delivery in his speaking comes off as "flat".

My observations in his good points are as follows:

He does, more then the American People, fully understand that he has to get some consensus to get anything passed at all.

An example is this health care bill. This is one of the worst pieces of legislation to ever make it through the United States Government and be signed into law. It however does have competition. During the administration of Lyndon Johnson we had the signing in to law of Medicare. The conservative elements of the United States Government at that time made all the exact same statements. I was 13 years old when Medicare was being screamed about. I was there! When Medicare was originally off the "drawing table" and was enacted it was a disaster. Those who supported it back in the 1960's knew it would be, but also knew that they would set out to fix it one piece at a time.

What was enacted in both cases was a piece of legislation that met the barest minimums and would knowingly be modified a thousand times before anybody had any like for it.

Obama in one respect is no different than any other sitting President. His information is supplied by others and he acts on the information he is given. There are a zillion ways that the information he receives can be distorted by others.

Also in Obama's favor is that he is in some ways again the "common man" in that he came up the "hard way" and was not like the Bush or Kennedy "Dynasties" born with a silver spoon in his mouth and enough connections to guarantee anything.

Who would have been better than Barak Obama?

I think Hillary Clinton would have been far more effective and at an earlier date. She has the experience that Barak Obama lacks. She is also a certifiable nuclear powered "dragon lady". She had also developed the connections needed to get votes when needed that Barak does not yet have.

Would I vote for Barak Obama again?

If the choices in candidates were the same kind of menu I definitely would do so.

Every time you change leadership you have a dead period of about 2 years. This historically has taken place with every administration for the past forty years. The notable exceptions were times of world war.

Many also need to very heavily research and understand the Administrations of Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Harry S. Truman to gain insight into the administration of Barak Obama. Issues and political foes are very similar. Franklin Roosevelt when the main enemy was the economic depression caused by wild speculation and the 1929 crash was targeted on an equally venomous level by the Republican Conservatives and they were no more kind to him than the same thinking is to Obama.

In a statement and speech made during his administration the Republicans accused Roosevelt of sending a Navy Destroyer to pick up his dog "Falla". The accusations against him were constant. The character assassination against FDR was constant.

The Republican party did not begin to shut their collective yaps until after Adolph Hitler invaded Poland and the real silence and unity took place after December 7, 1941 and the Sunday Morning Bombing of Pearl Harbor in Hawaii.

Looking at the potential for disaster I think that this country made the correct decision in the election of Barak Obama at the time based on the choices that were offered. Remember that Based on the choices offeredis the operative here.

cruztbone

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
i voted and worked as a volunteer in the Obama campaign. I am even more pleased now with our president than i was during the campaign. it is clear that the GOP has no idea what to do, no candidates worthy of the office of president, and are the party of "no we cant". Obama is the right person for the job. This is America's Renaissance; we cant go back to the Bush dark ages.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Clearly Obama is not and never was qualified to be President of the United States. It was not "hope and change" that elected him. It was minorities and white guilt. Now, go ahead and blast me.

No long rebuttal to your beliefs are needed here. You did a fine job at outing yourself as being an ignorant bigot. :rolleyes:

D

deleted15807

• there has not been more focus on the economy
I've heard this and short-term there is really little government can do to 'ignite' the economy. The Fed has more power to do that. The one reason why it is kept separate from the elected officials is so that it is free from politics. I'm interested to hear what more government can do short-term to influence the economy.

How do you incent consumers to buy which would lead employers to hire? How do you incent consumers who are already tapped out on credit card debt and need to reduce that debt. Americans save far less than they did decades ago, perhaps they realize now they should be saving more. That's a good thing long term but a bad thing short term for the economy. How do you incent people to save less and spend more to keep 'America rolling'?

U.S. Love Affair With Credit Cards Cools Off

Companies are sitting in vast amounts of cash and apparently don't want to spend it.

Companies pile up cash but remain hesitant to add jobs

• he allowed congress to write the stimulus bill, and it ended up full of pork instead of efficient stimulus
Isn't that how it's supposed to work? Congress writes the bills and the President signs it. Now of course the President can say 'loosely' what he wants to see. But he cannot 'write' it, he can influence it and he can veto it. The fact that it has 'pork' elements is how Washington works and how America works. Every congressmen is expected to bring projects back to the home district otherwise what can you say you did for your constituents? And that's true for democrats and republicans.

D_stryhtfg

Experimental Member
Media
In 2008 I voted for Obama.. I was silly enough to believe what a politician had to say. Only to be let down on every promise he made.
Did you vote for Obama?
How do you feel about him now?
I agree 100%...of course that makes me a racist...because I believe in small government, lower taxes, and a non-corrupt administration....and I now dislike Obama.

Seriously, I don't know how anyone can support the president considering the place this country is at right now. He has done untold amounts of damage to this country.

There is a reason that his poll numbers are dropping like crazy...people are finally catching onto to what he is doing and his agenda. I wish I would have figured before I threw my vote away.

D_stryhtfg

Experimental Member
Media
Why didn't the public want it? I think, this should have been done ages ago.

Because it was a massive government takeover of the best healthcare system in the world.

I have two very dangerous jobs. Both of which are part time with no benefits. I do NOT carry health insurance...and believe that health care reform should be repealed. Hard working people shouldn't have to pay form my health care. If I want health care, I will pay for it.

Wealth redistribution is a horrid idea. I don't want your money.

And 60%+ of the American public want the health care law repealed. That would be a majority.

Clearly Obama is not and never was qualified to be President of the United States. It was not "hope and change" that elected him. It was minorities and white guilt. Now, go ahead and blast me.

There surely is something to that...but that is not why I voted for him. I did want change. But he didn't win on his merits...he doesn't have any.

He is flushing this country down the toilet with his liberal extremist views and high level of corruption. For instance...why won't the DOJ prosecute the New Black Panthers in the obvious voter intimidation case? That alone should be enough to turn people off to Obama.

Last edited:
D

deleted15807

• Because it was a massive government takeover of the best healthcare system in the world.

• I have two very dangerous jobs. Both of which are part time with no benefits. I do NOT carry health insurance..... If I want health care, I will pay for it.

Takeover? What's being taken over? What business is being replaced with government workers? And the 'best healthcare system in the world'. That's the biggest lie told yet. By no measurement is it the best. Americans by far pay more and get less than any other country.

Americans spend considerably more money on health care services than any other industrialized nation, but the increased expenditure does not buy more care, according to a study by researchers at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.

Since you have no health insurance and have two 'very' dangerous jobs are you saying should an accident occur you have the potential tens of thousands of dollars to pay for health care yourself? No hospital is going to treat you beyond 'stabilizing' you and getting you checked out as soon as possible. And that work would be done thanks to public funding of emergency rooms across the country, something you abhor I take it?

why won't the DOJ prosecute the New Black Panthers in the obvious voter intimidation case? That alone should be enough to turn people off to Obama.

And given the above statement is such an obvious blatant case of race baiting we're to assume you actually voted for him? Did a black panther have a gun to your head in the booth with you? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I go back and forth with Obama, but the truth is that the people have given the power in this country over into the hands of our corporate overlords.

The big business that is lobbying on Kay Street has ruined our country, Obama has to work his magic within an entirely bullshit system.

Plus, Obama couldn't foresee the tea party movement and the Gulf of Oil, both of which were nefarious forces eroding his and congress' power to govern effectively.

The tea party has pushed almost every Republican to the extreme right and the GOP agenda is simply to block Obama and whatever he wants to do.

The tea party fucks will all rot in hell with their Obama/Hitler signs, they have truly done the work of the devil and should be smite by God's mighty hand.

This country had a chance to turn around, but those tea party asswipes made sure that we would NOT go into the future stronger and healthier. They kicked and screamed like the little pathetic children that they are.

Obama came in as a unity figure and has tried his best, by backing legislation ideas that reflect both conservative and liberal ideas.

Governing by it's definition means compromise, and yes, I didn't want him to pay attention to the wishes of conservative America because they just had 8 years of: having as many wars as they could imagine, tax cuts for the rich, increased corporate hegemony over our political system and the worst foreign policy this country has ever forced on the world community.

Obama doesn't want to appear like an angry black man to the white voting public, so he has really had to become a floor mat that the GOP can walk over at every given opportunity.

He's in an absolutely untenable situation and has operated with dignity and poise. :)

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
He is flushing this country down the toilet with his liberal extremist views and high level of corruption. For instance...why won't the DOJ prosecute the New Black Panthers in the obvious voter intimidation case? That alone should be enough to turn people off to Obama.

The "New Black Panthers" only exists in the minds of the three imbeciles who call themselves members, and the equally ignorant conservatives that think there's an actual case when time and time again it's been proven that there isn't. As for the voter intimidation claims, criminal charges were dropped against the two black men from Philadelphia in early January 2009 a few weeks before the Obama administration took over. That's why our current DOJ hasn't pressed charges.

Obama, BTW, is a centrist. Only a fool would think his actions in the White House are "extreme".

D

deleted15807

The "New Black Panthers" only exists in the minds of the three imbeciles who call themselves members, and the equally ignorant conservatives that think there's an actual case when time and time again it's been proven that there isn't. As for the voter intimidation claims, criminal charges were dropped against the two black men from Philadelphia in early January 2009 a few weeks before the Obama administration took over. That's why our current DOJ hasn't pressed charges.

Obama, BTW, is a centrist. Only a fool would think his actions in the White House are "extreme".

VB can you STF up with your FACTS :wink:. They didn't say that on Fox so I know it's a libtard lie. You just want to protect your Kenyan president that was smuggled into Hawaii.

pinspotter10

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm disappointed that I don't see more positive press about the quality of appointments that Obama has made compared to Bush's or what appointments McCain would likely have made.

For example, is there a Heckuva Job Brownie now heading FEMA? How about the quality of Secretary of the Dept of Energy, Dr. Steven Chu? Or just out and out having fewer Liberty U grads in government posts, or not having Karl Rove around the White House (though in fairness - sarcasm on - the Clinton administration did have Dick Morris).

D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

Experimental Member
Media

Wrong the the Obama administration won a defualt jugment in April 2009 but dismissed the charges May 15 2009. then Justice official J. Christian Adams quit his job accused his former employer of instructing attorneys in the civil rights division to ignore cases that involve black defendants and white victims. But you are right those three are imbiciles.

I would imagine the Adams had apretty good gig going and to make an accusation like that without having to back it up would be occupational suicide. it's not over yet.

Last edited:

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View

Funny thing is, all the voter intimidation pulled on behalf of the Republicans during the election, all the dissemination of misinformation to voters in some areas (e.g. telling voters that certain people were supposed to vote the day after and threatening legal Hispanics with deportation) - all the subsequent antics of racist elements within the Tea Party (as you've noted on numerous occasions) and there are still those here whining about three assholes calling themselves "Black Panthers"? Give me a f**kin' break.

Just race based rhetoric, imo, on the part of Republicans trying to polarize the vote.