I wanna get fit.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by blakobra8, Sep 1, 2009.

1. blakobra8

blakobra8 Member

Albums:
    I am not entirely pleased with my body. I mean, who is? but that's besides the point.

6'4''
    175 LBS
    99% oxygen level reading (I just found this out, so I figure I'll brag).

Every school year I go to the gym regularly for 2 weeks, then get bored and stop. I don't enjoy lifting weights. I don't like running. It's uncomfortable, and I don't get a rush of satisfaction like many people I know. But, as it is my final year of Undergrad, and I only have a few classes, I want to work on toning up a little.

I have a fast metabolism, so eating poorly hasn't hurt my body too badly...yet. But I know once I hit thirty, I'm gonna need to hit the gym bad, if I keep this up.

So, I'm taking suggestions! Any fitnessy types here who want to help me make a workout and/ or eating routine? I also want to stop eating so much processed junk. But I am not going veggie. Not yet, anyway.

Also, did I mention I am terrible at working out? I never stretch enough, and often have a week straight of barely being able to move my shoulders.

I have no interest in "bulking up" but I would like to work on a more athletic, toned body.

Am willing to trade pics/advice/pretty much anything free for help!

Thanks girls and boys!

Attached Files:

2. pervasiveone

pervasiveone Active Member

Albums:
  3. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm not sure what your seeing wrong with your body.... You aren't fat at all.

Cut out the fatty fast foods, lean down to brown rice, chicken breast, and veggies.
    If you don't like lifting weights, try other activities that require you to work your body.

Here's something else you can try. Gluten Free Foods.
    Yes...theyre expensive, but it may help to cut about 10lbs easily and reduce the processed flour toxins. Seriously give it a shot for 2 weeks.

4. blakobra8

blakobra8 Member

Albums:
    thanks pervasive and rikter. I'll check that website out. I'm not looking to loose weight, just feel healthier and tone my body a bit.

5. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    THen just simply get active. Get outside, do stuff...your metabolism will help you power through the activities. Rollerblading may be perfect, or biking.

6. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    I use the cross-trainer instead of running (less impact on the joints) but still did not enjoy the aerobic exercise at first. I started with four minutes as a warm-up for the weights then added two minutes at a time when I felt like it, which was usually after about a week. But at ten minutes I broke some kind of barrier and went straight through to 20 minute sessions, which I now enjoy and get a lift from.

Twenty minutes is the optimum session time for improving cardio-vascular health and will also improve liver function and lower cholesterol levels. Beyond that and you're into tissue-burning territory, which as you've got no excess fat, you don't want to do.

As to weight-training, if you want athletic definition instead of bulking up, use lighter weights and more repetitions - 12 or more. If you were getting shoulder pain before, you were probably either overdoing the weight or using bad technique. I don't bother with stretching too much, just a quick bit of arm-whirling before upper-body exercises to losen-up.

But if you don't enjoy weight-training and want an athletic build, why not do something athletic - like swimming, marial arts or even pilates?

7. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    start doing some push ups and pull ups as many as you can and do some sprints.

8. blakobra8

blakobra8 Member

Albums:

You look like you know your stuff.

9. D_Doewell Dadong

D_Doewell Dadong New Member

i am in the process of trying to get fitter too. i started with 10 push ups and sit ups a day and increasing it by 1 of each a day. i'm up to 30 now. i play football once a week and intend to go swimming once a week too. i'm currently trying to get to grips with hindu squats too.

regarding diet, i feel a high fibre low fat and sugar diet isn't that hard to stick too but is beneficial. your body needs carbs but get them from starches rather than sugar

10. SamIam86

SamIam86 New Member

I agree with the others. P90x is a really great program. Also with you diet make sure you ease yourself into it.

11. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Exercise and eating right are the 2 items that affect fitness the most that we can control.

For me, exercise has to be fun to want to do it continuously. I was a gym rat for over 20 years and then got burned out on it. I turned into a couch potato in the late '90s. 4 years ago, I took my casual, recreational enjoyment of riding a bike to the next level. I bought a fitness bike to commute to work. Then I began to enter cycling events. I got totally hooked. This past April I dropped some serious cash on a carbon fiber road bike and love riding it with a passion. It is to a bicycle what a Porsche 911 is to the car. For those who aren't into exercising: Have you ridden a nice bike lately? Here is a photo of yours truly from last Sunday's BIKE THE BAY event that went over the Coronado Bridge.

http://www.lpsg.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/207536/cat/500/ppuser/145819

12. D_Doewell Dadong

D_Doewell Dadong New Member

Can't fault you for spending time on your bike. i need some slicks on my mountain bike to make it more suitable for the road. i intend to do the manchester to blackpool bike ride in 2010

13. Daisy

Gold Member

The issue isnt really what you should be doing, the issue is getting your head in the game. I had a personal trainer last year, and for a good 8 months of that time all we did was go through the motions because I was stressed, not really following the right diet and had some hormonal things going on. You can put yourself through a workout and get little results if you're not into it. Find your motivation first, decide what you WILL enjoy doing and do more of it. You said you're "terrible at working out" which is not a good attitude to go into this with! :)
    Once you figure out a way to work out and not hate every minute of it you will see better results. P90X is a VERY good program but it's tough and you probably won't stick with it unless you're super motivated. My suggestion would be to buy some hand weights and start with upper body. Do a range of arm exercises while you're watching TV and you'd be surprised how easy it is. I think once you start seeing some muscle it helps keep you going. If you need to, take baby steps and get some results which you can build on. Whatever will help you stay with it is what you should do :)

14. WolvesInTheThroneRoom

Albums:
    My eyes, like an animals, would see in the dark to
    whatever you do, you will have to have some cardio, running, biking etc. for me and my job it's all about performance, endurance, not so much looks, but looks come with it.
    You should really give running a try, early in the morning, first thing of your day.
    Pushups, pullups, flutterkicks, situps (bicycles are the best) and sprints are amazingly effective workouts. Also start with a 20lb backpack and walk 5k crosscountry fast, build it up to 50lb and 28k over 2-3 months and you will feel your core strength and endurance explode, you will also lose the fat you want. good luck

15. Cowabanga

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I hear a lot of good advice, but I think you have to find some activities that you enjoy doing. You can burn more calorie and develop strength in doing something that makes you smile while doing it. Could be rock climbing, ballroom dancing, or just anything that can make you sweat doing it.

Being lean as you are, you will need to eat frequent smaller meals and avoid sugar. People with fast metabolism sometimes can lose weight eating sweets. I'm one of them!

16. D_Percival Puddleford Pukehorn

try yoga. that'll keep your body fit. But the real physiacl yoga though u know the one that'll keep you moving for 45 mins.

17. blakobra8

blakobra8 Member

Albums:
    thanks guys! I do like biking a lot, and it is my main mode of transportation at school. Maybe I will try to start biking to town (about a mile and a half) a few times a week.

18. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    You should run into town and back. If you bike, you should bike far longer than that.

19. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Start by throwing away the box of Cheezits on the tv in your pics.....

20. TheRob

Gold Member

Albums:
    it's best if you are interested in what you are doing
    at 6'4" and 175 lbs you don't need to drop much weight at all
    and you will probubly pick up some muscle just based on doing anything cus of something called "newbie gains"

but you do need to find something you like
    do you have any interst in martial arts?
    or any sport

Draft saved Draft deleted