I wanna model...

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by HairyTXdude, Aug 29, 2009.

1. HairyTXdude

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Besides working on my body (which im currently doing) Does anyone have any advice or comment for me about doing so or getting started?

2. D_T_Frothingill_Bellows

D_T_Frothingill_Bellows Account Disabled

just get a good agent

and don't get scammed, you can do it

3. invisibleman

Gold Member

I wanna model...

Learn to act. Take some acting and dancing classes. Learn to control your body. Learn to emote many facial expressions. Take some public speaking classes. And have some voice training (Singing) as well.

Be able to take LOTS of rejection...and criticism. Some would call it "constructive criticism"...I see it as rejection and plain criticism. :biggrin1:

Befriend many photographers. Take lots of pictures in a variety of clothes. Poses. Facial expressions. Learn to get comfortable with the camera. Yeah, some pics you aren't gonna like. But that isn't a reflection of your work...that is the photographer.

Be ready for anything.

Drink lots of water. Take care of your body. FLOSS and BRUSH YOUR TEETH. (I have seen a few men up close and you can see the plaque and food build-up between their teeth. Yeah, if I can see it from a few feet away...a photographer is gonna REALLY see it on those close-ups.)

Whatever job you get, be professional. Do your job. Model the wares and take the photographer's direction. Get your check, get paid. NEXT. :rolleyes::biggrin1: No matter what jobs you get--crappy or fabulous...you never know what opportunities those jobs may bring you. Do the best you can and try to deliver the scene.

Research. Research. Research. Get a bunch of fashion magazines. See what the models are wearing. Analyze their poses and facial expressions.

4. Himura

Himura Member

Hellllooooo :)

If you want to model... I am assuming you want to model for the top dogs... Like Armani/CK...etc

You really won't get far or have much work if you are 5'11 or below...

I have even seen some guys that are 5'11 be rejected for runway...

So if you beat the minimal height that's great! Now you can't be taller than 6'3. Yes... the fashion business is very precise.

You need an agency.... in the beginning... the top agencies for men are like... Elite/Red/DnA.. etc... You need to send them polaroids of yourself... which are photos of your whole body... your waste up... and a head shot.... that's 3 photos. You need good lighting... and not be wearing stuff that is distracting... No blurrs either... Your agency will act as your agent.

Don't bother with modeling schools... if your look is competitive enough the agency will help you.

If you get signed don't expect to be making money right off the bat... you have to build as in any other business... It's also not as easy as it looks. Good luck

5. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Most all of the opportunities are with agencies in LA or NY. However there is most likely a hand full of agents in Dallas and Houston that handle local work. For print, and television. My advice is make sure that they are affiliated with SAG and AFTRA. Get a head shot B&W and print your stats, height, weight, sizes (suit, waist, shoes) Hair and eye color and mail it to them. Most legitimate agencies hold open calls. Do not look into anyone who is a modeling school with an agency affiliate, they are all scams!A legitimate agency will never ask you for money; they take a percentage from the work that you do. If anyone asks for money run as fast as you can.

6. HairyTXdude

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    booooooo are you serious... I'm 6'4" :frown1:

7. B_am12388

B_am12388 New Member

He's right. Most agencies won't even give you a second look if you're shorter than 5'11, or taller than 6'2, and sometimes 6'3. Runway is very precise, as they want all of the models walking down the runway to all be around the same height, weight, and have the same body measurements cause it looks professional. It's a hard business to get into, good luck.

8. Himura

Himura Member

Yes... everything in this post is true... except that there are also a ton of agencies in miami florida. The local work agency in dallas is Kim Dawson... or however you spell her last name... it sounds like dawson.... the one near houston is Campbell I believe....

You need measurements of your chest/waist/hips/inseam etc.... the agencies really are looking for anything that is attractive... you could be 180 and muscular or 140 and quite thin....

I've only seen like 2 top models that are 6'4... if your look is good enough then you could have a chance....

9. ROSECITYBOI

ROSECITYBOI Member

Albums:
    If you're truly looking to do high fashion runway work, skinny/toned is the new look. Muscular models are now more for print work or underwear. The agencies I've work won't call you back if you're over 6'3". I also disagree with the statement that you shouldn't bother with modeling schools. There are so many people that want to model, unless you're the next Lars Burmeister, they aren't going to waste their time teaching someone to model. Good luck!

10. nudeyorker

Gold Member

11. AG08

Gold Member

I did some modelling once for a corporation I worked for. I have a very "corporate" look about me, so they asked me if I would model for a catalogue photo shoot. I can honestly tell you that after that experience, I would never want to do it again. It was a day long shoot where I had to hold completley still while I was taped, pinned and tucked from every angle. Your body is being put into very uncomfortable positions, and it was an absolute killer being on my feet while I was being positioned for each shot. There was nothing exciting about it at all. In fact is was VERY boring. It's not as glamarous and exciting as people think it is. I couldn't imagine doing that as a career.

12. Symphonic

Gold Member

Albums:
    Find a local talent agency / scout. Model in smaller scale productions for stores or at the malls, etc. You might need a little money to start.

13. D_Odipherous Pitts

D_Odipherous Pitts Account Disabled

I did some modeling last winter mostly to work with some great photographers and be able to pick their minds about lighting, etc. as I wanted to get better at photography myself and hopefully be a photographer on the side as a hobby. I found that most photographers who were looking for models were looking for the classic tall and thin male urban look. With me having a very muscular look my market was much smaller. Many photographers, even those looking for someone who was fit and in shape, said I was too muscular and did not represent the average male. Thank God!

I found that most of my requests to be photographed were from male photographers who wanted to shoot me nude. I didn't have a problem with that at times but also realized that once your nude photographs are out there they are out there forever so I tried to maintain a decency level.

I admire great and artful fine art nudes and is the type of photography I want to shoot myself some day so I figured if other models seen that I was comfortable being shot they too might be comfortable with me shooting them. Setting limits and understanding the intent of the photographer is vital in shooting. Don't do anything you are not comfortable with. If the photographer insists, then back away and leave.

You can most likely find many photographers who may be open to shooting TFCD (Time For CD) to help build their portfolio up and providing you with some photos for yourself. I suggest becoming a member of www.modelmayhem.com which is a very popular site that connects models and photographers in your area.

Just be aware of your limits and stay with them.

14. Blueshift

Blueshift Member

Albums:
    I'll throw in that photographers who are just starting out may be willing to trade off. They'll do your headshots and some basic samples for you to hand out as long as they get to keep copies for their own portfolio to show the sort of work they can produce.

If you're looking for basic experience being a model most any university is going to have an art department that needs nude and clothed models for their drawing and painting classes and students looking for models for their own work. Again, in the case of photography students you can probably get some shots for your modeling portfolio out of it if not some cash. At the very least you can get paid some (my university paid nude models 15/hr for figure drawing classes) and get used to being in a situation where there are a bunch of people studying your naked body.

As a note: no matter what stories you may here, being a nude model for a college class is not sexy. I have never been in a situation with naked people that was *less* sexy.

Draft saved Draft deleted