I Want A Kilt

Had the opportunity to try one on this last Sunday and must say it was very comfortable and very easy to move in, especially when helping break up a fight ;).

There is a certain member here that I will be buying mine through when I get the chance. :biggrin1:

Denverbearmark

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Don't need to be for a formal occasion. Although you may not want to take out the high end kilt for a night of beer drinking and carousing, but that is why cheap ones are made! For nontraditional kilts, I like celtic warrior over utilikilts. I suggest before buying an utilikilt, check around and see what else is out there, for prices and options.

For a more traditional look that I don't mind spilling beer on, getting yucked up camping or carousing I go to stillwater kilts. They make an inexpensive polyblend kilt that looks pretty good and is washable. I know the purist hate it, but my kilt is for fun!

Yesterday, I had a kilt sighting--a guy walking down the block by my boyfriend's new place. He had shaved head, looked hispanic in his late twenties, had black teeshirt on, and a kilt swagging low on his hips. He was HOT looking! I told him so too! Got a nod and a look back after a few paces!

Vonrofles

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
If you want a proper Kilt, don't buy a premade one... Kilts are like Suits... Get measured and have one custom made for you. I was in Scotland a couple of years ago and got fitted and had one custom made. I don't wear it much, it was kinda a "while in Rome do what the Romans do" kinda thing, but it was fun and it fits perfectly.

Denverbearmark

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
They can be like suits, if you only want to wear one to formal functions and such. They can also be like jeans or shorts if you want to wear them to bars, camping, out partying. So decide what you want to wear if for and buy one that make sense for that.

I wear one at least once a week, and if seen out at the local leather bar with out one, often get quizzed at why I am not wearing it. I wear one to bdsm parties and the men have easier access to the goods, and I don't have to worry about what gets slopped on it, because mine goes in the washer, ironed and hung dried. I could not do that with wool one that is like a semi-formal or a formal suit!

If I attended enough symphonies, downtown plays, cocktail hours I would probably invest in a nice wool, handmade kilt from a famous maker, but I don't. So I buy either off the rack or custom made from artisan tailors and live my life in them.

secondbest69

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
i had to wear a kilt at one of my friends wedding damn it was nice none of us guy put underwear on he told us you really shouldn't do if you want to enjoy the out fit omg i was in love with the feeling i felt so free haha and on the up side a lot of the guys wasn't watching how they was setting and you got a great view... a couple of my friends told me was shocked there were on how much they liked it

D_Edwin Eatser

Sexy Member
Media
If you want a proper Kilt, don't buy a premade one... Kilts are like Suits... Get measured and have one custom made for you. I was in Scotland a couple of years ago and got fitted and had one custom made. I don't wear it much, it was kinda a "while in Rome do what the Romans do" kinda thing, but it was fun and it fits perfectly.

Agree with this, it's expensive but worth it. I have Scots ancestry (as well as English) and wear mine with pride. Problem is, being 9 yards of pleated wool it can get warm in hot weather, and isn't too comfortable if you have to sit down for a formal dinner etc. I have worn it for hill walking and it is great for that!
I don't wear anything underneath.

A firm in Scotland makes leather kilts (but not 9 yards of leather!). These look really great and very sexy.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
There is a certain member here that I will be buying mine through when I get the chance. :biggrin1:

I have a feeling I know whom you're talking about, but to my knowledge, he doesn't market them, himself personally.

. I have worn it for hill walking and it is great for that!
I don't wear anything underneath.

I can't imagine why you would. It's really just not done.

I23

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I have been thinking of getting a kilt. Like others here, my family has a Scots background, with a bit of Irish thrown in at some point, and I myself am Welsh, so quite a Celtic mix. I never really thought about it until I met my current GF (her nation has 3 or 4 different types of national dress) but we really do lack a national dress over here!

Since I have been invited to their independence day in their country I have been sorely tempted to get a kilt as they will all be wearing their national dress in what sounds like a carnival type day. It's not cheap to get a kilt made up and all the stuff to go with it, but if it looks good, is quality and lasts then that would be fine. I'm sure it'll get used on a few occasions other than just formal stuff too, I have rugby player's legs that the GF thinks should get shown off more :)

The question is how 'correct' is it to wear a kilt when you are a non- or only a partial- Scot and whether to get it in the tartan of the clan of the Scots side of my family or in the tartan of the family name of the Welsh side (the name I have now)? There is also a generic Welsh tartan marketed as 'St David's Tartan' but to be honest I am wondering if this is historically based or if it has just been invented to suit a market, and I don't think a generic one would feel as traditional or personal as a tartan from one of my ancestries, if you get me.

Thoughts anyone?

Brillig47

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I have been thinking of getting a kilt. Like others here, my family has a Scots background, with a bit of Irish thrown in at some point, and I myself am Welsh, so quite a Celtic mix. I never really thought about it until I met my current GF (her nation has 3 or 4 different types of national dress) but we really do lack a national dress over here!

Since I have been invited to their independence day in their country I have been sorely tempted to get a kilt as they will all be wearing their national dress in what sounds like a carnival type day. It's not cheap to get a kilt made up and all the stuff to go with it, but if it looks good, is quality and lasts then that would be fine. I'm sure it'll get used on a few occasions other than just formal stuff too, I have rugby player's legs that the GF thinks should get shown off more :)

The question is how 'correct' is it to wear a kilt when you are a non- or only a partial- Scot and whether to get it in the tartan of the clan of the Scots side of my family or in the tartan of the family name of the Welsh side (the name I have now)? There is also a generic Welsh tartan marketed as 'St David's Tartan' but to be honest I am wondering if this is historically based or if it has just been invented to suit a market, and I don't think a generic one would feel as traditional or personal as a tartan from one of my ancestries, if you get me.

Thoughts anyone?
Don't worry about your kilt. Wear whatever you fancy, if you fancy a kilt. The whole business was a Victorian fantasy, which took off because Queen Victoria was nuts about Sir Walter Scott's romantic novels. But, sssshh, don't say that too loud in the Highlands, where the tourist industry makes loads of money from selling "authentic" clan tartans.

Never heard of a Welsh kilt, but the ancient Irish wore saffron coloured kilts.

And BTW, there isn't a drop of "Celtic" DNA in Scotland, Wales, or Ireland. That's another big nationalist myth. The cultrues were Celtic, but the DNA is actually Neolithic from the Basque region of Northern Spain!

Go figure. What a laugh.

I23

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
DNA from Spain eh? Will have to order a great big sombrero to go with that kilt :p