I Want That Job!!!!!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by DC_DEEP, Dec 29, 2005.

1. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

It seems that the US Congress will be getting its pay increase for 2006. I want that job.

In 2005, the salary for a rank & file house or senate member has been $158,000 per year. For a majority or minority leader in either chamber, that annual salary is $175,600. For the Speaker of the House, it goes up to $203,000.

I want a job where my annual salary is automatically increased every January, unless I vote NOT to receive it. I want a job where my effective annual work days total 128 to 133 days (except federal holidays). I want a job where I am provided, at no cost to me, office space and staff in Washington DC and in my home district. I want a job where I am provided a 6-figure non-taxable "operating" cost, in addition to my salary, which covers office supplies and transportation back and forth from my DC office to my home district office (most operating costs are in the $150,000 area, California is in excess of $400,000). I want a job where my health care is provided. I want a job where I am given (in addition to my salary) living allowances both in DC and in my home district (it's hard to maintain two $2.5 million dollar homes). I want a job where my effective rate of pay is $154.39/hour (house) or $148.59/hour (senate.) I want to run for Congress, please vote for me and I will commit whatever felonies I have to, to compensate your for your vote - because if elected, I most likely will not be held accountable for committing such felonies. VOTE FOR ME! I may be corrupt, but I'm not nearly as corrupt as that guy running against me.

2. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    I'd kill em all for free

3. madame_zora

Gold Member

*hands Dr Rock absolutely nothing*

Have at it, slugger. There's a blowjob in it for you if you're successful.

4. ClaireTalon

Gold Member

Money isn't everything.

A six-figure amount of money for paperclips... that'll be a lot of clips, surely!

5. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

No, money isn't everything... but a lack of money, well, that is nothing. The figures that I quoted above came, in part, from the congressional schedule posted on the UDSA website, and in part directly from CFR. Here is a copy and paste from that site:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2004 Legislative Schedule 108th Congress
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    The list below identifies non-legislative periods (days the United States Senate and U.S. House of Representative will not be in session):
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Senate
    January 1-19
    February 16-20
    March 15-19
    April 12 - April 16
    May 24 - 31
    June 26 - July 5
    July 26 - September 6
    October 1 - Target adjournment

House
    January 1-19
    February 16 - 20
    April 5 - 16
    May 24 - 31
    June 26 - July 5
    July 26 - September 6
    October 1- Target Adjournment

Count the days. This is what our tax dollars are paying for. As for the paper clips, well, that plus office furniture (for two offices), plus several round-trip plane tickets a year, plus paid staff, plus computers, plus almost unlimited free postage, all these "operational expenses" (tax-free) start adding up. No, money isn't everything, but given the opportunity to have a job earning $155 per hour in addition to having so many living expenses already paid... well, I think I would take a job like that.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

6. sexycobra

sexycobra New Member

Well, since when is the salary supposed to be proportional to the amount of work, or to the value of the work to the society, or even to the skills required to get that job?

The average major league baseball player makes far more than Senate members. He doesn't work much more that they do. Is his job more valuable to society (this might be debatable actually...:rolleyes: )? Granted, it takes extraordinary skills to become a major league baseball player, but it also takes a special set of "skills" to get elected to Congress or Senate - not everyone could make it.

By the same token, it takes extraordinary skills as well to become a brain surgeon, and this job is arguably more valuable to society than that of a baseball player, yet I'm pretty sure that the average salary for a brain surgeon is way below the average MLB player salary.

Similar arguments could be made for other sports (golf anyone?), the entertainment industry, etc... Again, no one is denying that it takes talent to succeed in those fields, but I question whether the average income is proportional to the value of the job to society, or to the amount of time spent working.

7. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

How about we start with "where does the money for these salaries come from?" A professional athlete cannot summarily vote himself a pay increase, and raise my taxes to finance it. Sure, he can bargain for more in contract negotiations, but an owner can still opt not to renew a contract. The fans and the advertisers pay his salary. My tax money pays the salary of the politicians. I cannot begin to believe you try to make a connection, and cannot understand the point I was making about the congressmen.

8. B_caneadea

B_caneadea New Member

I think that most of us are frustrated with Congress members because of the huge amount of "pork" that gets attached to important legislation.

Also, there are quite a few who you wonder how they ever got elected much less KEEP getting reelected.

One of my favorite examples is Ted Stevens from Alaska, who pushed through many millions of dollars in legislation to build two bridges "to nowhere" in his state. Then, after hurricane Katrina, someone suggested that he agree to instead put that money toward disaster relief. He very angrily refused. Stevens also pushed for drilling in areas of Alaska which have always been preserved.

And there are plenty of other "outstanding" examples..............

The Congress members who try to legislate morality are my biggest frustration. I read the following quote on another web site.

"It's a throwback to our Puritanical beginnings. Some people just can't help but feel that they know what's good and bad for everybody else. You know. Like Republicans."

P.S. DC_Deep, you've got my vote! Do you need a curvacious assistant?

9. KinkGuy

Gold Member

<click> Casts vote for DC Deep. Oh, which brand of crook are you? Dem or Rep? Just so we'll know where you stand on the "issues."

10. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

BWAHAHAHA, you haven't been reading my posts all along, have you KinkGuy? I say hang all the Demblicans and Republicrats from whatever tree you can find. I am running on the Constitutionalist platform. KinkGuy, once elected, I'll be certain to have you and Madame in my highest cabinet positions.

11. madame_zora

Gold Member

I'm polishing up my kneepads even as we speak.

12. sexycobra

sexycobra New Member

I'm not sure that I missed your point, I just see things differently. First, what should pay their salary, if not your tax money? Second, I think that this is one of the benefits of the job (yes, there is a bit of sarcasm here). After all, politicians vote laws, raise taxes, etc..., so that's part of their duty. That's also part of the appeal of the job. I agree that there is huge potential for ethical problems, though, but this is nothing new. Third, I'd rather have them get their money's worth from taxes than from lobbyists or unethical/illegal sources (fraud, corruption, etc...). You don't want to have a person who is in a position of power making less money than what s/he feels s/he should be making; s/he will be liable to use his/her influence to make more money, and this may be detrimental to society at large. The bigger a person's political influence, the more you should make sure that s/he makes enough money to be happy. Think about it.

I might be playing the devil's advocate a little bit here and come across as dumb, but I hope that you understand my points anyway...

13. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east &#039;neath the willow tree? Sex
    newsflash: here on planet earth, they're all doing that anyways

the sort of cunts who go after these jobs in the first place will NEVER have enough of anything to be happy. if they were capable of enjoying healthy, fulfilled lives in their own right, then why would they feel the need to wield power over other people's in the first place?? the whole problem with the system is that it rewards those whose greed outweighs their moral responsibility.

14. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Maybe its urban legend but I read somewhere that admitted bribe-taker Congressman Randall "Duke" Cunningham will still receive his congressional retirement compensation while in prison or on probation.

SG

15. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Move over bitch !!!

BTW, I have read every single solitary each and every word you have ever posted here DC. I hang on them all and salivate waiting for the next gems. OK, so it's not your words, exactly, that make salivate.

16. GoneA

Gold Member

i would say most of the time it does. this would be why, on average, brain surgeons have a greater financial income than paperboys.

17. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

If not my words, then what? The sling and the overstocked dungeon/playspace in my basement? The handcuffs and floggers? Madame, kneepads are optional. With the operational allowance, I can get my office re-done with 70's-style shag carpet to protect those lovely knees.

18. mehgah

mehgah New Member

Monica Lewinsky ain't got nothin' on you, madame_zora.

19. madame_zora

Gold Member

Jeez Dr Rock, take a bow.

SexyCobra, I do understand what you're saying, but those people are in fact still taking as much money as they can get legally and otherwise from lobbyists. The system is probably too far off kilter to be remedied, but unless we can find some way of eliminating lobbyists from the issue altogether, the corruption of self-voting on pay raises is grotesque. Voting should be a PUBLIC issue, based on job performance. It's the only way our politicians would be accountable to the people, rather than the lobbyists.

20. KinkGuy

Gold Member

DC, "in the sling" boy! It's time to pay for my vote!

Draft saved Draft deleted