I want to stop being a fashion disaster....help!

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by D_Hugh Jassman, Sep 13, 2008.

1. D_Hugh Jassman

D_Hugh Jassman New Member

Ok GQ guys....what's a goodlooking middle-aged guy supposed to wear or not wear? I'm 47 and in good shape. 45 chest and 33 waist here...6ft tall. I have started to hit the Banana Republic type places...their suit slacks work well...and the button downs do well...but what about the very casual looks? Cargo shorts for older guys? Layered shirts for older guys? Tighter modern jeans make my stuff prominent..but I look goofy. What do you want to see guys wearing? Any suggestions for clothing styles I should wear or definitely avoid? I'm not ready for the plaid slacks up to my chest and golf shirts....

#1 D_Hugh Jassman, Sep 13, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  2. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hey boomer -
    Good start with banana republic. One of my fav. stores. Don't forget about Burberry's of London, Armani of course, and Gap for casual stuff.
    Khaki's are always good and layers are always good, moreso now with fall upon us. I love J. Crew as well.
    The most important thing re. trousers is to stay away from pleats. Always flat front trousers. Pleats add weight and extra fabric.
    Good luck!

3. D_Hugh Jassman

D_Hugh Jassman New Member

Yeah, thanks Goodwood. I've shyed away from pleats for a while now, in favor of the flatfronts.

4. nudeyorker

Gold Member

See my response in ETC!

5. B_theOtherJJ

B_theOtherJJ New Member

STYLE - you either have it or you dont. You can buy the most expensive clothes and STILL be a disaster.

6. rover86

rover86 New Member

go to nordstrom and use their personal shoppers. not too expensive but they make you look great.

7. yngjock20

Gold Member

Albums:
    A look that never goes out of style is black t-shirt/ jeans/ loafers or chuck taylors.

My uncle has dressed like that for years and years and he still gets compliments about how stylish he is.

White t shirts work as well, but there's nothing like a crisp, good quality black t-shirt and some dark washed jeans.

If you're having trouble finding good denim, look to Tommy Bahama or some of the department store signature labels similar to Tommy's. They definitely cut their jeans for a mature customer who's not trying to show everything they've got...or don't have.

8. arkfarmbear

arkfarmbear New Member

Polo/Ralph Lauren is timeless and is typically not cut for "perfect" bodies. Most of their customers don't have one! Bobby Jones casual apparel is also for those who are conservative (but like luxurious fabrics) but still want to fit in with the high dollar guys at the club house.
    Paul Stuart is great! They only have stores in New York but the web site carries most of their items.

9. nkattman

nkattman Member

okay
    well not all of us have the money to shop armani
    so a good start would be Nordstrom Rack, Neiman Marcus Last Call, or Off 5th if you want designer stuff

try a good pair of jeans, true religion always looks good
    and a good solid color tee shirt, from anywhere, or an ed hardy tee
    and a fitted informal blazer, they have alot of those at buckle.
    any shoe looks good with this.

i usually incorporate one designer thing in my look
    but thats completely optional

10. SCSea

SCSea Member

Draft saved Draft deleted