I'd like your opinion.

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
Well, as someone who lives in Texas, if you run they will issue a felony charge against you. You'll have a big time warrant placed for your arrest and you could wind up with prison time. Better to stay in Texas, pay the fine, tough it out. I'd say do the community service as soon as you can. That shows them you are really sorry and are trying hard to change.

Riven650

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Heather LouAnna said:
...................... I was working at a mental hospital, getting beaten up daily, sometimes several times a day. Literally getting beat up. ............................
I wouldn't say I'm a risk taker............
QUOTE]

:eek:)

Bcc1987

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
unless the american system is more screwed up then i thought, u aint allowed to move out of the state until after all probation is finished with, unless u get permission from a judge and then u still have 2 do the probation elsewhere, and if ur only reason for leaving is 2 escape it, then a judge aint gonna let u

Hatched69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
This transgression may not catch up with you soon, but maybe when you least expect it. Besides, what's to say you move to another state and the first thing your new employer does is find out you have a "problem" in Texas? Then you've wasted money moving away for nothing. Better off to stick around and face the music.
That's my opinion for what it's worth.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I guess I'm the first scumbag to answer who has gotten a dui, so here goes:

I wasn't smart enough to stop at one, and I doubt you will be either. The reasons are very similar. You are arguing for your superior intelligence in the area of psychology- I also went to college for that and feel I am light years ahead of most. I am, but that's got nothing to do with the fact that when I drink, I can't control the quantity. It's simply NOT an intelligence issue, and the intelligent are actually at a disadvantage because of it. We think we're "smart enough" not to do it again, but if you were driving and still standing while blowing a .223. you have a HUGE tolerance, and that's extremely dangerous. You are very likely further along the alcoholic progression than you would like to believe. I had four duis, and my highest was 1.5. Your level, despite your excuses about time, is extraordinary, I hope you take it serious.

Sorry, I don't believe you at all that you "rarely drink". I hope you really have stopped since the incident.

AA and the meetings you have to attend really aren't that bad. I was creeped out at first, but I ended up learning so much good shit there that I stayed for almost eight years- I was only ordered by the courts for one. I'm comfortable not drinking now, and if the urge ever revisited me, I'd return in a heartbeat. You know very well that this was not the first time you'd driven drunk, and what right do you have to risk the lives of people you don't know on the road? I feel okay asking that, because I had to ask it of myself, and I decided I had no right. You don't either, and if you "had enough sense to stop" you wouldn't be here right now. Once again, it's not an intelligence question, it's one of chemical predisposition.

I know, you're not really an alcoholic. Those people live under bridges, they don't go to college and get good jobs helping others, do they? Not like you- no. They don't have families, pay taxes, try to be good citizens- not like you do. Bullshit! They got to AA JUST LIKE YOU, most of them. You'll be standing in a line of people after meetings who have to get a paper signed for the courts to prove they were there- just like you.

ALL of us have to endure the expense, embarassment, breathalizers on cars, loss of employment- ALL the same shit as you. You're not special, you don't deserve an easy out. You risked the lives of others, and you will continue to do so without a serious paradigm shift. I hope you get it, at your age, could could have a very long, wonderful life. Another decade of denial won't benefit you much in the long run, take it from someone who knows.

bluekarma

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
This may have already been said, cause I didn't read the whole thread. Just wanted to say that I work in the HR dept for a State operated facility (seal on paycheck, etc.)for disabled, mentally ill, children and adults. We do FBI and local (State) background checks on ALL employees. We fingerprint every person that goes on the payroll. Based on the field of work you are interested in (pat on the back to you BTW -not an easy field of work), you will run into problems.

Your best bet IMO is to face the charges, pay the fines the best you can, and maybe further your education (if need be) or work to pay the fines in the meantime. DUI is not a barrier crime and would not stop you from gaining employment, but having a capias out for you will. You know what is right, just suck it up and do it. My brother just got DUI and is attending an Ivy League college in the fall....he is running into similar problems, but will have to face them for his stupidity. He's much younger than you...you will be fine.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Heather LouAnna

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
*sigh* There's no update, really. My next court date (yeah..another one) is the 14th of next month. We'll see how it goes. I think my mother will be back from her expidition in Guatemala by then, so we'll see what kinda ruckus she decides to upheave.

Advice from a Texas lawyer (not my own):

" I read through your friend's dilemma twice and chatted about it with another lawyer friend.

My gut reaction is that moving to Colorado will not let her "start anew." If she intends to not appear in court or forfeit entering a formal plea (which would require her to do all the B.S. that she lists in her message), the court will enter a default plea and consider her a fugitive with a warrant out for her arrest most likely. Moving to CO will not allow her to run away from her problems - her name will be entered in the NCIC (a national criminal database) and if she is stopped for a ticket in CO or anywhere else in the USA, the cops in CO can take her in for the warrant issued in Austin. They will then bring her back to TX where she will be in even worse trouble. This is the worst case scenario but definitely could happen.

Maybe her plan would be more feasible if she left the USA forever and went to a country like Brazil, Cuba, etc. that has weak extradition laws with the USA. But in any case, my feeling is that she will have to face the judge eventually.

Do you know who her attorney is? There is a guy in Manor (Jamie Balagia - he's got a very informative website at http://www.dwidude.com/) who ONLY handles DWI cases. She should talk to him if her attorney is not focused on DWI work. He might be able to at least get her record expunged after her probation period so she will not be barred from working in her profession."

So...presently I'm just gonna work fulltime in the day, no classes until maybe..next year, and I've been considering dancing on the weekends at gentlemen's clubs. I have too many friends that do it and the money is just so easy.

alien51

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
well heather,if you can do it,do it!the laws in cal. are just as fucked up.you're young. DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!!!!!it would be a shame to get there only to find out that colo. talks to tejas.best of luck!

Heather LouAnna

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I can see you didn't read the whole thread, but that's alright.

My next court date is the 14th, which is when I'll accept the plea bargain.

Some of you act like this is a hard law to break. I have five friends with DWI's. The country I live in is very strict about this sort of thing. Whether you're drunk or not, they'll try to slap you with it.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I have to agree with Madame Zora. You have a huge tolerance. A blood alcohol of 0.30 can cause coma, while a blood alcohol of 0.40 can stop your heart.

Because alcohol is readily absorbed, it's fairly easy to inadvertently kill yourself on a binge. Happens quite frequently. If you still had alcohol in your gut at the time you were apprehended, it's possible getting pulled over saved your life. Even passed out at the side of the road you can choke to death on vomit without regaining consciousness.

I'm up on assault for pushing a roommate's acquaintance out of our house. Not hitting, just pushing. Our legal system is unusually punitive and stigmatizing. What I did wrong was letting him in the house in the first place.

Maybe call it a harsh lesson and be well.

hungschlong

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
You could always write Mel Gibson and ask him how he is gonna get out of his DUI.

JK

Thats really shitty. Though I am against drunk driving, i think that the penaltys you are facing are really stiff.

Leave it to Bush to stick it in your ass. Although I'm pretty sure he's driven once or twice on the juice, but he has a nice daddy.

Heather LouAnna

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
dxjnorto said:
Because alcohol is readily absorbed, it's fairly easy to inadvertently kill yourself on a binge. Happens quite frequently. If you still had alcohol in your gut at the time you were apprehended, it's possible getting pulled over saved your life. Even passed out at the side of the road you can choke to death on vomit without regaining consciousness.
I had a friend following me in another car, man.

I can't be on probation with a piss cup full of Austin nightlife, so I guess you'll all be happy to know that I've quit everything as of this past weekend. :rolleyes: That includes cigarettes, alcohol, and pot (yeah, I'm a huge pothead too) and all other drugs, which wasn't much.

The cigs are the hardest. I had a fucking dream last night that I was bumming a smoke....and I'm only on day fucking four.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Heather LouAnna said:
I had a friend following me in another car, man.

I can't be on probation with a piss cup full of Austin nightlife, so I guess you'll all be happy to know that I've quit everything as of this past weekend. :rolleyes: That includes cigarettes, alcohol, and pot (yeah, I'm a huge pothead too) and all other drugs, which wasn't much.

The cigs are the hardest. I had a fucking dream last night that I was bumming a smoke....and I'm only on day fucking four.

I know a former heroin user who overdosed twice before she landed in rehab which saved her life. She says no drug is harder to quit than cigarettes. Hang in there.