Identity Theft

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by ManiacalMadMan, Aug 26, 2007.

1. ManiacalMadMan

Gold Member

Has any one here ever been victimized with being a victim of identity theft or are there any who would care to admit being arrested for identity theft?

Just how much of a problem do you as a group think that identity theft has become and is it because the internet is not safe or because more people are careless giving information out or even the people who take information such as stores and places throw the receipts in large bins where any one can get them and then steal an identity or is it a combination of these things and others as well?

2. viking1

Gold Member

I have not had my identity stolen. Well, not yet, anyway. I haven't stolen anyone else's either. Nor would I. I'm not a crook...

There are many ways that identity thieves get the info they need. You can be a victim of identity theft even if you have never used the Internet.

To avoid this, be a careful as possible with all personal info. Getting liability insurance that also covers identity theft is a good idea. Adding it to your existing policy doesn't cost much. No, I'm not an insurance agent...

3. SassySpy

Gold Member

Albums:
    well yes, I was and it has been a nightmare. Not total identity theft, but they sure wrecked my bank accounts. It is my own fault, I freely entered into a contract online that turned out to be a means for fraudulent activity in my account. I have since closed everything until it can get straightened out. In addition to the financial mess, I am embarrassed, as I thought I had more sense. I thought I had read all the fine print, and considered every potential scam. Obviously, I hadnt. I have learned a lesson about entering into ANYTHING on the web that hasn't got a recognized quality review.:rolleyes:

4. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

No, I have been lucky that neither I, nor any of my family members or friends have been victims.

I've only purchased a few items on line, and always at trusted sites.

I did work in a retaurant many years ago where any server could get a printout of every credit card used that day.

Now most store receipts only list the last 4 numbers of the CC.

Draft saved Draft deleted