Idiot's Guide to Calories/Muscle

dingdong

Cherished Member
Media
Im really confused about calories and muscle-building. :confused::redface:

I know that you won't build muscle by starving yourself; you need to increase your calorie intake. However, this doesn't mean that you can eat McDonald's for breakfast, noon and night does it?

Sure, you'd be getting your calories, but wouldn't you be eating alot of "bad" fat too?

So what to these guides mean when they say "you've got to increase your calorie intake"? Do they mean you've got to do it by eating things like chicken and fish? If this is the case, why don't they just say "to increase your levels of protein"? :confused:

Also, if you eat alot of protein, but don't actually do any form of exercise, does it get stored as fat anyway? (I know I must sound so uninformed! :redface:)

What is the exact relationship between calories and muscle? :confused::confused:

formygirlfriend

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You want to get in alot of calories and alot of protein. Chicken, Fish, Potatoes, and steak are all good sources of protein. If you want to put on mass you want to be taking in at least 3000-4000 calories a day and be hitting the weights. Hit the weights hard, less reps, more weight. Reduce your cardio so that you're not burning so much calories. Instead of eating 3 big meals a day, eat 5-7 smaller meals throughout the day. I usually eat 3 whole meals, plus two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and 2 servings of oatmeal a day. I drink ALOT of milk, I can go through a 3.7L jug of milk in 2-3 days. I also drink this weight gainer shake called MHP Up Your Mass once a day. It has 900 calories and 64g of protein per shake when mixed with milk.

Its true, you dont want to be eating junk food to put on weight. Those are just empty calories that will make you fat. Key is eat healthy foods, and WEIGHT LIFTING is key to putting on mass. When I started my whole weight gaining journey I was at 120 lbs. 2 months later, I am now at a steady 135. I dont really lift weights though, I should but I dont. I train Muay Thai 3 times a week so I burn alot of calories, kidn of counter-active to me tryign to gain weight but Its still a good workout.

Im not nutritionist, or gym rat. Im just telling you what I know. Hope it helps man.

hardsurferboi

Just Browsing
Media
You want to get in alot of calories and alot of protein. Chicken, Fish, Potatoes, and steak are all good sources of protein. If you want to put on mass you want to be taking in at least 3000-4000 calories a day and be hitting the weights. Hit the weights hard, less reps, more weight. Reduce your cardio so that you're not burning so much calories. Instead of eating 3 big meals a day, eat 5-7 smaller meals throughout the day. I usually eat 3 whole meals, plus two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and 2 servings of oatmeal a day. I drink ALOT of milk, I can go through a 3.7L jug of milk in 2-3 days. I also drink this weight gainer shake called MHP Up Your Mass once a day. It has 900 calories and 64g of protein per shake when mixed with milk.

Its true, you dont want to be eating junk food to put on weight. Those are just empty calories that will make you fat. Key is eat healthy foods, and WEIGHT LIFTING is key to putting on mass. When I started my whole weight gaining journey I was at 120 lbs. 2 months later, I am now at a steady 135. I dont really lift weights though, I should but I dont. I train Muay Thai 3 times a week so I burn alot of calories, kidn of counter-active to me tryign to gain weight but Its still a good workout.

Im not nutritionist, or gym rat. Im just telling you what I know. Hope it helps man.

Thanks for the advice, formygirlfriend. :smile:

Primal_Savage

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Some guys think I'm a freak and muscle-head and the majority of those who know me think, I'm obsessive-complusive when it comes to diet and in need of a 10-step withdrawal program. All my meals are planned, logged into bodybugg and ProMania. I aim for between 195 and 210 grams of protein per day (1 g/lb of body wt). Caloric intake is going to depend on whether I'm cutting or bulking. Here's an example of my intake:

On waking: 10 oz of water

After pushups, setups and chinups: 1 banana (109 calories), 1 Labrada LeanBody Instant Breakfast Shake (Bananas and Cream in 16 oz of water -40 g protein, 360 calories), 1 large 12 oz cup of coffee (about 8 cal)

10:00 snack – 1 Apex Fruit High Fiber Energy Bar (200 cal and 10 g of protein) and 12 oz of water

Lunch (Noon) - Ceasar salad (roughly 500 cal), one clump of 20 seedless green grapes (60 cal) and ½ a peanut butter sandwich (made with 1 slice of whole wheat bread (50 cal) and 2 tablespoons of Jif Reduced Fat Peanut Butter- 380 cal), 12 oz of water

2:30 – 12 oz of water

4:30 – pre-workout Syntrax Matrix 5 (40 g of protein, 250 cal in 10 oz of water)

5:30 to 7:30 – Workout at the gym – two 23 oz bottles of water

7:30 mixed at the gym,carried out and drunk on my walk home - Cell Tech Hardcore (310 cal; 75 g carb) or Vitagra S2 (glycogen).

Dinner (8:30) – 6 oz grilled flat-iron steak (378 cal and 42 g of protein), ½ baked potato (60 cal), 2 tablespoons of low-fat sour cream (80 cal), 2 servings of steamed cut green beans (40 cal), 1 fresh peach (10 cal), 1 slice of toasted whole wheat bread (70 cal), 1 pat of unsalted butter (1 tablespoon, 100 cal), 1 large 12 cup of coffee (8 cal), and 10 oz of water

And then about 10:30 before bed - another snack – 1 Syntrax Matrix 5 (40 grams of protein)

Total of 7 small meals. Generally, I only have 6 small meals. I do cheat, one day a week....real sucker for Cuban food. Have long forgotten what a hamburger, hot dog, french fries or a doughnut tastes like. Also don't drink alcohol except for perhaps 2 or 3 beers per month.

Last edited:

slate_australis

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Primal,

That's impressive - but there's no way I could EVER be that regimented with my diet. Mind you, I don't have that impressive intentions for my body, just healthy and toned.

From my exeperience...it doesn't really have to do with calories. The calorie issue is if you burn more than you eat...you'll lose weight. But muscle building...but it depends what kind of muscles you want - muscle-head or the tighter/toned type. I'd just experiment with increasing your protein intake - especially within an hour of working out....and avoid complex carbs for 90 mins after working out.
That's just my 0.02.

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I just pay attention to my appetite.

I usually work out in the late afternoon. I usually drink a fruit juice or smoothie while I'm working out to keep my energy levels up. After a weights session I'm definately hungry for protein and will have a meal with meat or fish and fresh vegetables within an hour or so. I did try having a protein shake more immedieately after the gym but found that suppressed my appetite and I tended to skip the meal and just snack. I decided that a fresh meal was probably better for me than the supplement.

After an aerobics session (every third workout when I'm being good) my hunger is different and I'll be content with a more carb-based meal like pasta or steamed vegetables and rice.

Ed69

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Some guys think I'm a freak and muscle-head and the majority of those who know me think, I'm obsessive-complusive when it comes to diet and in need of a 10-step withdrawal program. All my meals are planned, logged into bodybugg and ProMania. I aim for between 195 and 210 grams of protein per day (1 g/lb of body wt). Caloric intake is going to depend on whether I'm cutting or bulking. Here's an example of my intake:

On waking: 10 oz of water

After pushups, setups and chinups: 1 banana (109 calories), 1 Labrada LeanBody Instant Breakfast Shake (Bananas and Cream in 16 oz of water -40 g protein, 360 calories), 1 large 12 oz cup of coffee (about 8 cal)

10:00 snack – 1 Apex Fruit High Fiber Energy Bar (200 cal and 10 g of protein) and 12 oz of water

Lunch (Noon) - Ceasar salad (roughly 500 cal), one clump of 20 seedless green grapes (60 cal) and ½ a peanut butter sandwich (made with 1 slice of whole wheat bread (50 cal) and 2 tablespoons of Jif Reduced Fat Peanut Butter- 380 cal), 12 oz of water

2:30 – 12 oz of water

4:30 – pre-workout Syntrax Matrix 5 (40 g of protein, 250 cal in 10 oz of water)

5:30 to 7:30 – Workout at the gym – two 23 oz bottles of water

7:30 mixed at the gym,carried out and drunk on my walk home - Cell Tech Hardcore (310 cal; 75 g carb) or Vitagra S2 (glycogen).

Dinner (8:30) – 6 oz grilled flat-iron steak (378 cal and 42 g of protein), ½ baked potato (60 cal), 2 tablespoons of low-fat sour cream (80 cal), 2 servings of steamed cut green beans (40 cal), 1 fresh peach (10 cal), 1 slice of toasted whole wheat bread (70 cal), 1 pat of unsalted butter (1 tablespoon, 100 cal), 1 large 12 cup of coffee (8 cal), and 10 oz of water

And then about 10:30 before bed - another snack – 1 Syntrax Matrix 5 (40 grams of protein)

Total of 7 small meals. Generally, I only have 6 small meals. I do cheat, one day a week....real sucker for Cuban food. Have long forgotten what a hamburger, hot dog, french fries or a doughnut tastes like. Also don't drink alcohol except for perhaps 2 or 3 beers per month.

I'd love to do all this,but a wife,children and limited income won't allow for it.:wink:

B_ScottWilliamsonOC

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Im really confused about calories and muscle-building. :confused::redface:

I know that you won't build muscle by starving yourself; you need to increase your calorie intake. However, this doesn't mean that you can eat McDonald's for breakfast, noon and night does it?

Sure, you'd be getting your calories, but wouldn't you be eating alot of "bad" fat too?

So what to these guides mean when they say "you've got to increase your calorie intake"? Do they mean you've got to do it by eating things like chicken and fish? If this is the case, why don't they just say "to increase your levels of protein"? :confused:

Also, if you eat alot of protein, but don't actually do any form of exercise, does it get stored as fat anyway? (I know I must sound so uninformed! :redface:)

What is the exact relationship between calories and muscle? :confused::confused:

Why dont you post your diet and workout routine. We could help you fix it.