IE 7 Beta

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by prickleyguy, May 11, 2006.

1. prickleyguy

prickleyguy Member

Albums:
    For all of you Tech Heads out there, Internet Explorer 7 Beta is available for download. I think it is interesting, MS borrowed the tab feature from Firefox and has streamlined the interface. This is the version that will ship with the new Vista Operating system that will come out sometime later this year (If they can get the bugs out) Vista is already late for deployment. Microsoft is between a rock and a hard place, if they really fix all of the problems then Norton and McAfee will not be needed any longer and will probably sue Microsoft for putting them out of business.
    I know, I know from you Mac guys-gals you think this is funny......... but I am a tech and I have to deal 99% with Microsoft issues...

For you brave souls that like to be on the cutting edge, give it a try..
    Prickleyguy

2. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

IE is evil.

3. prickleyguy

prickleyguy Member

Albums:
    Now Lex, be nice.......

4. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I admire that they have mimiced Mozilla's features (which is what Windows did in response to Macs a decade ago).

Until, however, they open the platform up to open-source and stop taking shortcuts and address their vulenrabilities--it's STILL Internet Explorer.

5. prickleyguy

prickleyguy Member

Albums:
    MS has supposedly addressed many of the security concerns in this version, but MS and Apple will never open their code to everyone as they are in the business to make money, lots of money, they have many emploees to support and many investors to placate so I do not expext their behavior to change any time soon.
    Being in the support business I have to learn all of the features and the problems, so I dive right in.

6. prickleyguy

prickleyguy Member

Albums:
    Sorry about the typos above, I wish I could type better,
    BTW I use Firefox most of the time and install it on most of my clients PCs

7. AMikkell

AMikkell New Member

My friend downloaded it and said it was quite large for a browser, and didn't work as well as Netscape, which he prefers, or Firefox, so I haven't bothered to get it.

8. findfirefox

Gold Member

As my name says, Find FireFox. Much better then IE will EVER be.

9. tallguypns

Gold Member

Albums:
    I personally hate everything microsoft.

10. dong20

Gold Member

I've been using it for months as part of the Vista Beta, Lilke many, I have no love of Microsoft but they are a dominant force and most of my clients use some of their products to some degree. As a professional I have to recommend solution(s) which best meet clients needs, regardless of supplier, so I can't indulge the luxury of 'Hating' Microsoft..:rolleyes:

As it happens. the public beta seems stable, much more a Beta3 than a Beta2, though I agree they have lifted ideas from others. Remember those other tools Mozilla, Firefox, Opera etc are far from bug free, people write software so by definition it's flawed.

11. mainer1

mainer1 New Member

I started using Mozilla a few months ago. Sometimes it seems slower that IE was but I feel it's more secure. The phishing check add-on (from spoofstick.com, free) is also cool. I installed IE7, use it now and then, and have had no problems. However it has a spoofing check that can be turned on/off that is slow and clunky. I'm a techie too and my company's standard is still IE, so I have to learn to love it, one way or another....I also can't let techno-politics and distaste for MS narrow my mind on this. Not to worry folks, feelings about MS aside, it'll be ok eventually.

12. steve2727

steve2727 Member

Albums:
    I've not tried IE7 but I personally prefer IE6 to Firefox any day, in my experience Firefox is just as buggy, and turns on annoying features like pop up blockers by default, which really gets on my nerves (pop up blockers? I mean seriously, reducing the legitimate functionality of websites just because people are too lazy/stupid to press Alt-F4? as a web application developer pop up blockers are a pain in the arse).

As far as vulnerabilities are concerned, of course IE is going to be attacked more than Firefox, why bother finding a vulnerability in a browser 10% of people use when you could find one in one that 90% of people use? The only real way to avoid your machine being compomised is to install a decent personal firewall and learn to avoid visiting dodgy websites and downloading any old crap that you have no idea is safe, browser choice is by the by really

13. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I won't be able to go beyond IE6 on my machine since I'm running Windows ME but I don't mind.

I use Opera.

14. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I use many of the FireFox add-ons in order to increase the felxibility of the browser. Most people use IE only because it is bundled in the platform and can't be uninstalled. The issue with the IE platform is that MS has it in its best inbterests to NOT clean it all up so that they can maximize profits (What American automaker do you know who puts out a glitch-free car?) FireFox is more secure--it does not keep cookies, it lacks the Active X achilles heel, etc.

Here is an example--since I started browsing with FireFox--the amount of snail mail and email spam I receive has dropped tremendously. My wife still uses IE and the amoung of shit she gets from simply browsing the web with that program in insane.

I'm never going back.

15. steve2727

steve2727 Member

Albums:
    Well what you call an 'Achillies heel' I'd call a very flexible and powerful piece of technology. Something with less functionality is bound to be easier to make secure, that just stands to reason. You can make IE prompt you to run all activex controls anyway, you never HAVE to run any of them.

Having been involved in software development cycles for many years now I can tell you Microsoft couldn't release a glitch free product if they tried. The only way you could do that, especially on a project the size of IE would be to spend an inordinate amount of time and money testing it, it simply wouldn't make business sense. Maybe if they had a choice they would still choose to release glitchy software, but I really suspect they don't have that luxury.

As to your spam issue, unless your machine had been trojaned there's no way your browser can affect how much spam you get. Obviously your email client is another matter, I've never tried the Firefox email client. But unless your machine has been compromised the only way a browser can give out your email address is when you type it in a form. I basically have a spam account that I used to fill in forms when an email address is required and spam on my main account remains managable.

I suppose it's horses for courses really, just don't get why everyone is bigging up firefox so much, I have it installed but only use it to check the browser compatibility of my websites, I'm pretty underwhelmed by it as a browser

16. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Well, I think it probably has a lot to do with the fact that everything this version of IE will do, FireFox already does. With people putting a premium on useability and the customization of experience--IE has historically been too inflexible.

You can download themes and extensions for FireFox and really make your browser what you want it to be.

Also--figuring out how to turn on and off all those features in IE has historically not been that easy. Firefox is very easy to use and navigate. And I don't buy that it is not as robust to the point of not being useful and enjoyable. If Firefox wasn't so great, IE would never have mimicked its features. I am sure with Windows Update they have been collecting data on whether our machines have IE or another browser as their default browser of choice and have responded with this version. Imitation is still the most sincere form of flattery.

To each his own I guess. IE just seems a bit behind ther user curve at this point. But hey, maybe they can catch up. We'll see.

17. steve2727

steve2727 Member

Albums:
    I suppose I'm looking at it from a tech nerd's point of view, ease of use is pretty low on my list of priorites, compared to the LINUX command line pretty much anything is easy to use!

But also I think a significant proportion of Firefox's appeal is simply that 'it's not Microsoft', which I suppose is to be expected, a lot of their end user software has been less than ideal, Office springs to mind. I still have a lot of time for Microsoft because I get to use good Microsoft software. Visual Studio .NET is far and away the best development environment on the market, if Microsoft could produce everything they did to that standard everyone else might as well just pack up and go home, but considering the quality of some of their other software, I can understand the hostility towards them.

Draft saved Draft deleted