If a guy says he does art for a living, what goes through your head?

Doranq

Legendary Member
Media
I don't date men already have mistresses - be it human or an art form.
I don't date men who aren't financially viable.

I can appreciate some forms of art and the drive it takes to create it.
However I don't appreciate divided focus.
I don’t really understand the first or last sentence. Not sure what is being implied. I know it’s something that’s supposed to be unique to the ‘artist’ vs (insert w/e other career path) May you elaborate what you meant.

I mean I can understand not wanting to date a financial failure/someone that is a failure in their chosen profession. That’s easily understandable.

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Just simply someone that makes digital stuff that some people on the internet like and like enough to pay money for it.

I only googled “banksy artist” so whatever came up first is what I saw, the maid picture is cool though.

There's a cool documentary about him you may like. Exit through the gift shop.

Anyway, that's neat that you make money from what you love. Nice to see passion being a part of income.

Last edited:

Holly Doors

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Would you need to if you knew he was well off financially/if he had a different occupation?
If he was well off financially and refused, would you still consider dating him? (His reasoning being he enjoys the freedom that comes to being totally anonymous, his real life not impacting his job)

Well I guess if he were that cagey about his work and it wasn't his occupation he probably wouldn't mention it in the first place, if he did mention it the hell yeah I'd wanna see it still.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't date men already have mistresses - be it human or an art form.

Sweetie, you hit the nail on the head when it comes to being with an artist. There is great competition there, and I was very jealous starting out. He called me his muse, but I think that was to placate me while he would hole up in his studio.

But I can see the same thing with any person married to their work.

We have a good balance right now. We're both married to our work.

Reactions: 185248 and Bonfire

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I was married to a fiber artist. Tie dye derivative, one of only a few in the world doing what he was doing. A living master. He’s still at it, but off grid. In standard success terms, he sabotaged himself.
Master of that, too.
While he could “pull a $20 out of (his) butt” effectively, and usually more like pulling a $100 out, I did support the basics.

Now, I’m a Guitar Widow. I don’t come after the instruments, but the gigs do come first. We do not live together yet.

If I were dating, and a man mentioned he was “doing art” it’d be a pass based on the weakness of the verb. “I paint/sing/photograph, etc” okay sure. Show me what you do. Show me how others see it.

Reactions: AlteredEgo

Mercurygirl

Superior Member
Media
If a guy tells you he does art for a living what goes through your head?

Some thoughts ...

"Well, let's hope his mom is a good cook."

"Look on the bright side, you'll never have to worry about another woman wanting him."

"There will be no Jackson Pollocking on my face and putting a finger in my Picasso is right out."

"I'll happily model for you nude but if the boat sinks there is absolutely no way you're allowed on the giant raft of wood I'm floating on." (Even if there's plenty of room)

"Linseed oil is not a substitute for a proper sexual lubricant."

"If he starts cutting off his ear I'm outa here."