If i have sex with a person with AIDS is 100% sure i will get the disease?

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media

Dear Ren,

Never be hesitant to ask. The problem and the reason that many get kind of hostile on this one (sometimes including myself) is that over 30 years after this disease or disease process was found and then labeled we still have people who do not know.

Working for years around the entertainment industry I personally attended over 50 funerals. Most of those friends and acquaintences I buried were infected before we know anything.

Nearly a whole generation of gay men fell victim to something that they could not control and something that had been waiting in the shadows to get them. In my case the men I buried worked in music, costume design, set design, props, administrative positions, and some were also found in front of a camera.

In addition, many in the industry lost children. Those who lost one or more children included Russell Johnson (Gilligans Island's Professor) Harry Morgan, (MASH's Colonel Potter) Robert Guillame (Benson/SOAP) and more.

Performers lost have been too numerous to even mention.

Yet to this day we have a retrovirus which can be totally eradicated. It can be eradicated by using common sense. It can be eradicated through education and this virus is no longer a scourge of the gay community it is now everywhere.

As I am writing this there are individuals out there barebacking, there are individuals of very young ages who are "bug chasers" trying to become infected, and there are individuals presenting deliberate and false information to promote a personal agenda.

It has been said by another that the biggest enemy when it comes to STD's is not the disease but the brain of the participants in the sex acts involved. There are times that we think with the heads of our dick and not the head on our shoulders.

The question you asked is absolutely legit, but what you asked has become a point of great anger and frustration for many of us. It has become this because no matter how hard we try, there are people who simply cannot seem to get the message.

Remember something else. When you are really well educated in this subject you become an educator. You personally may have the ability to save a life. You may be the one who teaches thinking with a brain instead of a libido.

Education is NOT abstinance. Education is understanding not only HIV, but the rest of the dangers out there and preventing them. It is also knowing what questions to ask.

Good Luck my friend!

montereybeachguy

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm glad there is a lot of accurate info provided by the other people here. Don't have unprotected sex with an HIV+ guy. Always be safe with anyone you haven't known for a while. Even if they have recently been tested neg, there is a period of time (3 months or more) before the HIV virus will show up in tests, so even a recent negative test isn't any guarantee. Even though being HIV+ no longer is a death sentence (I know people living well and healthy that are +), you don't want a life of taking drugs.
Bottom line------Always be safe. Your life isn't worth the risk.

The risk is actually quite low per sex act Antiretroviral Postexposure Prophylaxis After Sexual, Injection-Drug Use, or Other Nonoccupational Exposure to HIV in the United States </P><P>Recommendations from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

Still, if you know someone has HIV, use a condom 100% of the time. If you don't know if they have HIV, you should probably use a condom but statistically it's not that big of a deal if you don't, as long as you're not going out and fucking someone new every night.