if the election was held today (UK)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by D_Andreas Sukov, Dec 25, 2009.

1. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

....id think wtf is going on? its Boxing Day?!!!??!?!

but in all seriousness, who would you vote for?

I'd be voting for labour.

Why?

Conservatives offer Public service cuts, a higher increase than others in Tuition Fees, and its the Conservatives. Ideologically, i just cannot vote for them.

2. Yorkie

Gold Member

Albums:
    I will NEVER vote Conservative.Things have always been worse for me when they've been in government.
    My current Labour MP is retiring at the next election and I don't know enough about the new candidate yet but my vote is most likely to go in that direction.

3. steve2727

steve2727 Member

Albums:
    I'll definately be voting Tory. This Labour government can't seem to kick its addiction to wasting money even in these financial dire straits, when governments around the world are making huge cuts to spending.

I'm honestly starting to think they have some sort of scorched earth economic policy going on here, they know they're screwed in this election so they are leaving the public finances in such a terrible state that the cuts the Tories will have to make to get them sorted out would make it impossible to be popular.

Labour never deserves to be in government again as far as I'm concerned

4. Yorkie

Gold Member

Albums:
    So you would rather have George Osborne running the economy?
    The man reeks of incompetence except when it comes to filling his own pockets.

George Osborne to be investigated over expenses - Telegraph

5. Drifterwood

Gold Member

With all due respect, it's not quite as relevant as having bankrupted the country.

6. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

I'd vote labour.

Cameron is on record supporting Section 28 and has a deplorable record of voting against gay rights - this alone would stop me ever voting for him. Never mind the fact I think he's a smarmy cunt...

7. Drifterwood

Gold Member

And what do you know about cunts? :biggrin1:

8. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

at this point, even without the articulation of what "change" would be, it would be Cameron

9. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Despite being a traditional Labour supporter, I'd consider backing the Tories this time, as I vastly prefer their stance on Europe, which I think is important for Britain's interests.

Plus, I'm thoroughly disappointed by Labour's latest term, and can't see any of the other leadership contenders being much better (Miliband, Mandelson, Harman, et al).

I do think Cameron is slightly lightweight, but with people like Boris in important positions, I think the party may have a good chance of doing quite well.

10. D_Kissimmee Coldsore

I'd vote for neither of the two main parties, probably Lib Dems. Or maybe even Greens as a protest. I think it's certain we will see a Tory government tbh, and I for one am not looking forward to it. I detest Cameron.

11. Yorkie

Gold Member

Albums:
    Bankrupt? I think you know the difference between debt and bankruptcy.Our assets are not about to be shared out amongst our creditors.
    Cameron refuses to give details of Consevative financial plans until after the election.I wouldn't buy a pig in a poke and I won't trust a Tory.

12. Drifterwood

Gold Member

But then, you lost any moral perroagative by saying that you were personally better off under Labour, and I remember the cunt TB refusing to give any details. Plus ca change.

I'll probably vote Liberal again.

13. Catchoftheday

Gold Member

14. Jason

Gold Member

How can anyone vote Labour? They are lying to the British people on the economy, the Blair government of which Brown was a part took us into an evil and illegal war, and their abuses of the democratic systems are terrifying.

ECONOMY
    In the Irish Republic the government has just passed a budget where public sector salaries have been cut by 6% and most benefits have also been cut. They are in a worse position than the UK, but not that much worse.

Whoever is in after the next election will be making big cuts. Labour have spun a lie about the sustainability of debt, and like all good lies it contains a grain of truth. A basic of Keynsian economics is that in a recession the government should keep spending or even spend more in order to keep the economy moving, kick start a recovery, and worry about the debt when the economy is stronger. Up to a point our government is quite right to be spending money to get the economy moving - but only up to a point. There is a level beyond which the debt is unsustainable, and this level is set not by the government's plans but by the markets. The risk is that one day the markets stop buying the bonds the government is issuing. If this catastrophe ever happens we face a major upset which would make us all poorer.

What Labour is doing is gambling with the economy. What the government should be doing is talking straight with the people. We need for example a freeze in public sector salaries and a freeze in benefit increases. We do need some form of stimulus also. It is politically difficult I know, but the best way to get the economy moving quickly would be to offer enormous bonuses to bankers and other financiers. 12% of our wealth comes from finance and this is the only area where it is possible to get big growth quickly, and this is what we so badly need. Instead Labour have created a culture of hatred against banksers which is set to damage Britain.

WAR CRIMES
    The Iraq inquiry has already established that the dossier of information Blair used to justify his wished-for war was a pack of lies. It is possible that Blair will end up in court on a war crimes charge. Brown and many present ministers were privy to this decision and the least that can be said is that they failed to speak out against Blair's evil actions. One of the very few who did - David Kelly - ended up dead in a way which it is increasingly clear wasn't suicide. It is still possible that Blair will end up in court over this.

DEMOCRACY
    We have democratic systems to prevent dictatorship. Yet Brown has ratified the Lisbon Treaty without the promised referendum, while his dirty tricks department has fabricated smears against Conservative MPs and been willing to use the police to search the Westminster offices of a Conservative MP - and arrest him. And that is without the illegal donations. We have more surveillance than ever before, anti-terror laws used to stifle opposition, and may soon have monitoring of all internet use. Big Brother Brown is watching you!

Labour is beyond the pale. They lie over the economy and fail to lead a solution, many are war criminals, they damage our democracy. Vote for anyone, not Labour.

#14 Jason, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  15. Jason

Gold Member

Dear Yorkie
    Imagining myself to be David Cameron I can give details of how Conservative financial plans will affect you personally. You will be poorer. Whether you are on benefits, upper middle class, or somewhere in between you will be poorer. A lot poorer. It will hurt. There will be cuts in public services. And did I say it will hurt?
    The pain cannot just hurt the rich. There is so much pain it has to hurt everyone. There might be a need to kick start finance, the industry in which Britain leads the world and which is responsible for 12% of our wealth. It is just possible we might have to give some politically hard to sell incentives to the filthy rich. If we don't they will go to another country.
    So Dear Yorkie, imagining myself to be David Cameron I'm going to say as little as possible about my economic policies because you won't like them at all. And you will be all to willing to believe Labour's lie that they will tax someone else (not you) make cuts that will affect someone else (not you) and borrow yet more money that supposedly the markets will pay up. Super Brown Will Save The World! If by some catastrophe we get a Labour government that does these things we are looking at bankruptcy. I'm sure not saying that Cameron will be perfect, but he cannot be worse than Brown.

#15 Jason, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  16. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Firstly, i am NEVER going to vote tory. They are a bunch of self servers, their interests always seem to appear positive to all yet somehow wind up being most benefit to the already affluent. I cite as an example the proposal to have government part fund 'green' modifications to our homes. This essentially means that only the middle class and above who can viabally and financially afford the switch will be the ones taking opportunity as working class peeps tend to live in council or H.A. housing or rent privately where the opportunity is not theirs to take. And the biggest issue is that when the government says it will fund or part-fund anything, it always means the tax-payer will pay for it.

Secondly, i will not vote Labour in the next election like i did the last because they are too O.T.T. with their ambition and cow-tow far too much to the church and to human rights groups etc.

I am going to vote Lib Dem despite the threat that Labour losing support means letting Tories back in, good, watch them fuck up and show themselves up as bad as the last time when they lost to a land-slide because the people got sick of their lying and schemeing and scandal.

If the country wants real change it needs to try something new and not go back to the previous wasters.

Lib Dems get my vote and not only that but they get my vote in sincerity not as a protest.

17. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Mitch - you should be aware of Clegg's stated intention to form a Gov with the party who gets the most votes, in the case of a hung Parliament. I think he changed his mind on joining Labour to keep the Tories out (after Cameron changed his mind on a Lisbon referendum).

(PS: What if Boris takes the leadership, and they promise to bring Betty Boothroyd back?? :biggrin1: )

#17 Joll, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2009
  18. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

To be honest i think that is better than a one party government. The town where i live up until the last local election has had consistent no-overall control for the last 14 years, it is conservative which usually gain the most votes but per ward the split is tied three ways between the 3 main parties. The town has developed fast in the last ten years. We have a cinema and a bowling alley and a museum and art gallery, a new retail park, a lapdancing club. An artsy public toilets! with fantastic stone mural carved into it, new decorative art, a tree with carved images from a fairytale, renovations, several new housing estates, road rebuilding, modern railway station replaced the victorian but incorporates the old brickwork and design, new town safety schemes, tourist boosts. It seems to me that by working together more gets done because they have to agree on the best use of funds to make improvements rather than doing whatever they think is best. Bring it on! Hmmmm, maybe by that account i should vote Jury Team..:rolleyes:

19. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Sounds good! :p

20. Jason

Gold Member

I had to read this a second time to check I had understood it and a third to find I agree with it!

They are all politicians playing politics. Cameron wants to say "Lisbon No Way" (at least something like 92% of Conservative party activists do) and he wants to say the economy is dire and there will be very painful cuts. He can't say the first because he might have to work with the Lib Dems (and he doesn't want an army of Eurocrats campaigning for Labour). He can't say the second because no one votes for people who tell the truth when there is a much more comfortable lie being told by Labour.

Labour will say anything whatsoever they think might get them a vote. It is unlikely that any of it is true. The Lib Dems are more complex - lots of local issues. But they are still telling fibs.

Vote for any party and be sure you won't get what it says on the tin. But that doesn't mean they are all the same. There is one outrageous villain - Labour. They are damaging Britain by not preparing people for the economic realities. They are war criminals. And they abusing our democracy. They are not fit to govern. Vote-anyone-but-Labour.

Draft saved Draft deleted