If the election were today who would you vote for?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by dems08, Jun 1, 2006.

?

Who would you support in the election?

1. Al Gore

46 vote(s)
    14.9%
  2. Barack Obama

62 vote(s)
    20.1%
  3. Jeb Bush

19 vote(s)
    6.2%
  4. John Kerry

13 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. John McCain

28 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. Hillary Clinton

86 vote(s)
    27.9%
  7. Rudy Giuliani

54 vote(s)
    17.5%
  1. dems08

dems08 Member

The majority of Americans and an even larger majority of the world's population think the United States is headed in the wrong direction? Who do you think is the ideal person to make the U.S. stronger at home and more respected around the world?

2. B_horribleperson

B_horribleperson New Member

could you add to this poll: im not voting for any of these grave robbers.

3. Shelby

Gold Member

If the object is appeasing the groups mentioned I'd have to go with Jesse Jackson.

If the ultimate, long term objective is making the U.S stonger at home and more respected around the world I nominate Shelby Steele.

4. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Al Gore.

I want a president who gives a shit finally.

5. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Too bad the ballot won't have a "none of the above" spot. Sorry Shelby, it's gotta be me for the write-in candidate.

6. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    no shit, i certainly hear that. i might eventually vote at some point in my life if there's ever anyone worth voting for, but i don't see it happening any time soon.

your least wretched option in the US at the moment is probably the greens.

7. D_Herin_Ghan

D_Herin_Ghan Account Disabled

Where's Badnarik? Or any independent for that matter?

8. dems08

dems08 Member

As a democrat who feels very loyal to my party I would have a hard time voting for Hillary Clinton in the primary election. Al Gore or Barack Obama are two men I admire and feel that they could make the country a better place to live. Maybe we could see a Gore/Obama ticket.
    For all of you who think you are too cool to vote because you don't agree 100% with the person running for office, you handed this country over to Bush. Do you think for a second there is no difference between Gore and this crowd? America has slid back in to the stone-age in the last 5 years so if you don't care to vote shut the fuck up, you are worse than mold on shit.

9. mindseye

Gold Member

On the Democratic side:

Obama's not yet ready to be president -- as gifted as he is, he won't have completed even a single term in national office (I objected to John Edwards in 2004 for the same reason, although I'll grant Obama's been a much better senator than Edwards was.)

I get far more junk mail from Clinton than from any other candidate, and that tells me that she respects neither me nor the environment. As well, I want to completely disabuse the country of the notion that being related to a former president qualifies you for office (look where it got us now.) It's unlikely at this point that she will ever win me over.

Gore has insisted he won't run, but he would have my support if he did. I'd also support Kerry if he won the nomination, but I would be surprised if that happened.

Two names not mentioned in the poll are recent Virginia governor Mark Warner, and Wisconsin senator Russ Feingold. Both of them have filed as candidates with the FEC (Evan Bayh, Joe Biden, and Tom Vilsack have filed as well, but I regard them as major longshots).

Of the two of them, Feingold is the one to watch -- he's smart as a whip, too politically complex to be easily boxed in by his opponents, and funny and charismatic as well. If he can overcome his lack of name recognition, he could become a formidable candidate. If Gore does not in fact run in 2008, Feingold could well become my first choice.

On the Republican Side:

I'm going to go waaaaay out on a limb here, and predict that the Republican nomination will not go to either Jeb Bush nor to John McCain.

Dubya's low-30's approval rating indicates that a fair percentage of voters are experiencing "buyer's remorse" (and it's long overdue, I say!) -- and unable to express their discontent with George in the 2008 primaries, they'd vote against Jeb. Jeb would finish a strong second if he runs (he has not filed as a candidate yet), thanks to party loyalists and Terri Schiavo crusaders, but will not be able to pick up enough momentum to cross the finish line.

McCain, sadly, will fare even worse. Although he's well-known and respected by voters, McCain does not have the respect of his peers within the party. He will do well in Iowa and New Hampshire, but miss out on critical endorsements as members of his own party sabotage his candidacy.

My prediction is that the Republican Party will quickly rally around a candidate with little national name recognition and relatively free of scandal and promote this candidate as the Second Coming with all their might. George Allen is a likely possibility for the nomination, but Rudy Giuliani or John Thune might surprise people as well.

10. Matthew

Gold Member

Care to educate us, Lion?

@ dems08 - just out of curiosity, what is it about Clinton that puts her behind Gore & Obama in your view?

11. dems08

dems08 Member

I agree with most of what you say. Mark Warner has a lot going for him (could carry Virginia and he's a fresh face) he could very well be the one to watch. More dems I know are excited about the idea of a Gore run for the white house than they are about Hillary. Obama I think is the front runner for a VP spot on the ticket. He comes across much better than Edwards.
    As far as republicans go I don't know if they will be able to go with McCain, most of their base hate him and once they learn more about liberal Rudy he won't go far either. I agree that Allen is the candidate that the base will rally around. Well him or Brownback.

12. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    enough said - you just forfeited any right to be taken seriously :rolleyes:

actually, i think you'll find that a couple of hefty bribes in florida handed the country over to bush, but let's not split hairs - the system is broken whichever way you look at it.

um, yes. that's more or less exactly what i think. if they were any different, they wouldn't be a major political party. :rolleyes:

13. D_Herin_Ghan

D_Herin_Ghan Account Disabled

Michael Badnarik, libertarian party candidate.

Time is ripe for a third party to gain momentum IMO.

14. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Actually, doc, I don't even think they had to hand over any cash. Jebya just offered to let Kathleen Harris get drunk and jiggle her titlets at any news media camera. She was more than happy to (un)do her job. And of course we can't diminish the contribution that the Supreme Court made in that election (up until that point, I had no idea that the SC had, within its purview, the authority to call a tie-breaker in a disputed state's federal elections.)

15. Oboe

Oboe New Member

Sen. Evan Bayh D-IN.

16. D_Elijah_MorganWood

D_Elijah_MorganWood New Member

I'd vote for Hillary but I don't think she can serve a 3rd term...

17. ChuckRich

ChuckRich New Member

If you live in a solid red or blue state you really don't need to bother voting for President. Only the swing states actually matter.

18. zygomatica

zygomatica New Member

yeah but it's fun.

i get to feel responsible for one day every fourth year. the rest, i'm a scumbag!

i love wearing that "i voted" sticker around town though. makes the cougars wet.

19. warmhorizon

warmhorizon Member

Albums:
    Hilary Clinton all the way baby! :biggrin1:

20. ManiacalMadMan

Gold Member

With the lousy choices offered I would be forced to consider repeating what I did in '96 when it was Dole or Clinton and I voted for everything on the ballot except President I don't see any real good choices on this list and am torn between Jeb Bush since I like the idea of keeping a dynasty going and he has nice hair or Al Gore because I sort of would feel sorry for him if he was running again No way I would vote for Hillary since she would kill off all men in the first hundred days.

Draft saved Draft deleted