If the election were today who would you vote for?

Who would you support in the election?

• Al Gore

Votes: 46 14.9%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 62 20.1%
  • Jeb Bush

Votes: 19 6.2%
  • John Kerry

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • John McCain

Votes: 28 9.1%
  • Hillary Clinton

Votes: 86 27.9%
  • Rudy Giuliani

Votes: 54 17.5%

• Total voters

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
ManiacalMadMan said:
I don't see any real good choices on this list and am torn between Jeb Bush since I like the idea of keeping a dynasty going
move to saudi arabia

seriously, if this is the kind of retard that we allow to vote, it's really no wonder we're all in such a fucking mess

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
ManiacalMadMan said:
No way I would vote for Hillary since she would kill off all men in the first hundred days.

Oh, come on. Not all men, just select ones ...

*stares at you menacingly*

Mattsdong

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Lol, the problem with all of them is quite simple. They're all American :p They all have an agenda directed at a minority of Americans rather than a policy, directed at most Americans :p It would be easier to decide who I wouldn't want, that would be John Kerry :p He's just the wrong kind of leftie. I like lefties I could be called a leftie but he's the wrong side :p He's the Hippie Leftie, I'm the proper Leftie :p

In all, America needs a British President :p

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
First of all - MattsDong - Your a cutie!

I was going to vote for Hillary all the way, since I didn't trust anyone else.
Now that I hear that theres a Hint that Gore may be running, I'm Pro-Gore.

He supposedly has changed a bit, and looks a bit more refined.
I'll be interested to read up on his views.

Hillary was a good choice, even for the first woman president..but I don't think she's quite refined enough for presidency.

I seriously think the republican party is going to have one HELL of a hard time winning 2008, because of all of the Dirty Pool going on right now, and the Extreme Hole they dug this country into.

But that's how it goes. Republicans dig us a big old hole, then blame it on the Democrats, and claim they "Failed to fix the problem".

Jeb Bush is the biggest Mistake this country could EVER make. WHY in the world would we want ANOTHER 4 years of a declining economy.

Get rid of Shrub and CO. Every last one of them. Then, and Only then can we start to recover from the damages they have caused.
Throw them in jail for fraud, and cash their bank accounts in, and all of their belongings. Put the funds BACK into the US, and not in their pockets.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Mattsdong said:
Lol, the problem with all of them is quite simple. They're all American :p They all have an agenda directed at a minority of Americans rather than a policy, directed at most Americans :p It would be easier to decide who I wouldn't want, that would be John Kerry :p He's just the wrong kind of leftie. I like lefties I could be called a leftie but he's the wrong side :p He's the Hippie Leftie, I'm the proper Leftie :p

why stop there? just go all the way — submit an apology and the Queen can take over :rolleyes:

sundayssad

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Didn't Gore say he wasn't going to run? Could have sworn he wasn't going to. If not Gore, I might go for Hillary if I didn't feel like it would be a wasted vote. Sadly, I don't think America's ready for a female president. America, as a whole, hasn't progressed that far yet. Bush threw America back to the 1950s.

Next election will be the first presidential election I can vote in. But I live in a red county in a blue state so my vote won't matter much, not that it matters much to begin with.

As long as they aren't Bush or Cheney or any of their puppets (or relatives), I'd be happier than I am now.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
ManiacalMadMan said:
According to her soon to be released autobiography it is mainly men who are in power such as moderators

Naw, Hill and I are TIGHT

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Mattsdong said:

rawbone8 said:
why stop there? just go all the way — submit an apology and the Queen can take over :rolleyes:

Well, the Executive Branch (through the office of the Prime Minister) has tremendous political authority; far more than the US equivalant. Luckily this is seldom exercised to the full.....and its power eminates from the Crown not the people.

Be careful what you wish for...:smile:

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
dong20 said:
Well, the Executive Branch (through the office of the Prime Minister) has tremendous political authority; far more than the US equivalant. Luckily this is seldom exercised to the full.....and its power eminates from the Crown not the people.

But then is it not really authority from the Executive Branch (which I take to mean the Prime Minister) at all? Or is the crown considered the final extension of the Executive Branch?

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I wouldn't vote for any of those people but if I had to pick one maybe Giuliani or McCain. Obama seems like a good guy and I think he's got a promising career ahead of him, but isn't he too young to even run at this point?
If improving the rest of the worlds' opinion of us is one of the chief goals here, electing another Bush would obviously be the worst choice. Though I have to say I like Jeb more than GW.

D_pmontesquieu

Just Browsing
Media
I really feel as though Gore has a terrific benefit by having been out of the political landscape for the last few years, especially in light of how much of the "corruption" charges are reaching members of both parties. Futhermore, the sincerity and the conviction he shows in "Truth" indicate that he is a far more developed person (and candidate, were he to put himself in the running) than in 2000.

Mattsdong

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
rawbone8 said:
Exactly! That's more like it :p Proper governance! U's in all the words where they should be, S's where Americans have left Z's. India back, the two guys and their bicycle who controlled it who were thrown out can go back and govern again. Canada back, plus the French bit, which we'd clean up properly. Most of Africa back so we can keep teaching them as we once did, the Middle East, so they can start fighting our control again rather than each other. Australia back properly, New Zealand back properly.

The world will be as it should be again!

Lol, I do get what you're saying. But the President is worse than the Queen trust me. The Queen is a trusted and entirely ceremonial position; her power, while legal is more moral than anything else. The President however is encouraged to use that power, the power the Queen has almost. He's not been brought up for the Job and is in a position to be ridiculously corrupt. Parliament and the Prime Minister is a far cleaner more respectable way to control a country. You get a moral leader and a proper leader. As well as actual voting where every vote counts, instead of votes in different states counting for a different overall percentage. The power the President has which the English had the sense to remove, the Americans have yet to have. Which is understandable, because that power is good for Capitalism, because corruption is the main driving force of Capitalism. Somebody with such an avatar I would have thought would understand that.

dong20 said:

Be careful what you wish for...:smile:
We vote for the person who carries that power, so the power is from the people, and referendums are held for big decisions anyway. America is worse, the people have absolutely no say, the President is voted in a disproportionate way (per State not per person allowing a man from Alaska or Texas to have more of a say than a man from California or New York) and if there is a big decision you don't ask the people, you ask a load of Capitalists in a big building named after their God; Capitol.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Mattsdong said:
We vote for the person who carries that power, so the power is from the people, and referendums are held for big decisions anyway. America is worse, the people have absolutely no say,....

Not really true..we elect an administration as in the US but the dynamic is different. On most matters while the Queen has the legal authority, the Executive has the effective authority (via delegated Royal Prerogative) to take various actions without the consent of parliament including but not limited to :

Domestic Affairs:
  • The appointment and dismissal of ministers (inc PM);
  • The summoning, prorogation and dissolution of Parliament(s) (Not limited to the UK);
  • Royal assent to bills;
  • The appointment and regulation of the civil service;
  • Appointment of Bishops etc
  • The commissioning of officers in the armed forces;
  • Directing the disposition of the armed forces in the UK;
  • Prerogative of mercy. (Used to apply in capital punishment cases. Still used, eg to remedy errors in sentence calculation)
Foreign Matters:
  • The making of treaties;
  • Declaration of war;
  • Deployment of armed forces overseas;
  • Recognition of foreign states;
The second and third of these are especially relevant, while Blair allowed a Parliamentary vote on going to war in Iraq he was under no obligation to do so, nor to abide by its result (indeed Blair broke precedent by doing so) neither was the Queen and either could have invoked Royal Prerogative to go to war.

The power of the Prerogative is partly limited by statute and where the Crown wishes to excercise a power now covered by legislation it must action within the framework of that legislation, not under Royal Prerogative. However as the Crown is 'above the law'...this is an interesting situation. There are many other limitations, esp in relation to domestic legislation.

Aside:Some of the other things covered by Prerogative are the Royal ownership of sturgeon, swans, dolphins, porpoises, whales etc...:smile:

I don't think we do 'too' badly on consultation but hardly well...the last UK wide referendum was in 1975 (EU membership). There have been 7 since then, none of which were national and related to things such as the formations of the London, Scottish, Welsh Assemblies etc.

The legal power of Government emanates from Parliament through the Crown. The people cannot dismiss or dissolve parliament, only the Monarch can do so; forcibly or by consent to a voluntary dissolution. Thus Government is accountable to Parliament which is in turn accountable to the Crown, not the electorate. And boy do they know it..:rolleyes:

Mattsdong

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm not sure if you are against all that or for it? :p Cause it sounds perfect to me :D How accountable do you want the Government to be? Too accountable, and every ridiculous minority group of bastards, Hippies for instance, Save the Squirrels being another possible group, would be having their ultimately worthless say and nothing gets done. Not accountable enough, and they get four years to roam doing whatever they want.

Answering to Parliament is the effective solution; Parliament is a group of people voted in from different parties in hundreds of areas, covering many different ideas, not specific to party because often one party fields two candidates. Parliament hence represents the people.

Congress however is a group of Capitalists, not voted in by area as far as I recall? How do they make up Congress? Not sure, but I am pretty sure it is not by geographical area and if it is, its a big geographical area. Eitherway the President is no more no less, than the Queen, but gets to use his powers :p And can't pull of those dresses.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Mattsdong said:
Congress however is a group of Capitalists, not voted in by area as far as I recall? How do they make up Congress? Not sure, but I am pretty sure it is not by geographical area and if it is, its a big geographical area. Eitherway the President is no more no less, than the Queen, but gets to use his powers :p And can't pull of those dresses.
Each of our states elects two Senators, and each state elects Representatives proportional to the population of that state. In theory, it is supposed to balance out - each state with exactly two senatorial votes, regardless of geographical size or population; and house votes according to the population. So yes, the Congress is voted in by area - in both the house and the senate.