If they discovered a "gay" gene would the public disdain of gay people disappear?

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If they scientifically prove that homosexuality is indeed not a choice but an inherent trait or predisposition when a person is born would public sentiment against gay people evaporate? Would the religious right and Catholic church change their views?

Would people view and treat homosexuals differently?

HamYai

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Yes.

Humans are more understanding and tolerant of differences than almost every other species (except maybe dolphins - don't know why I said that).

"We" (that's you and me) accept pretty much everyone and anything that is initially "different". It just takes time to break down the barriers and the prejudices.

Plus, most (if not all) of us are more than capable of experiencing and (heaven forbid) enjoying same sex fun, given the right circumstances.

I wish for a world where we could all be equally regarded and regarded equally, regardless of our sexual preferences (which is so unimportant - and unchangeable - in any case).

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
No.

this would be crazy, telling someone there kid is going to be gay when he grows up.

Anti gay pills. what would happen if you snuck them into a straight persons drink.

Last edited:

HamYai

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
No.

Suddenly you switch from a choice, to a "Problem" or "disability".

Now, everyone jumps on the bandwagon to "FIX" people, and selling "Anti-gay" pills filled with lime Jello.

Jeez. Break it to me gently, please.

You're telling me that Lime Jello won't make mestright? !

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
assuming a gene was discovered....it would take beyond your lifetime and the next several generations at least before homophobia was non-existant...you only need to look at the race issue to understand that bigots don't understand the concept of genetics in a persons individuality.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
If they scientifically prove that homosexuality is indeed not a choice but an inherent trait or predisposition when a person is born would public sentiment against gay people evaporate? Would the religious right and Catholic church change their views?

Conservative Protestants are even worse than the Catholic Church on this issue as they believe that a person is not born gay, but rather evolves that way from a variety of environmental factors. The Catholic Church, on the other hand, believes that people are genetically prone to being gay or bisexual. However, they doesn't mean that they don't believe that environment has no effect in determining one's sexual orientation.

According to the Catholic Church, they were were probably some saints who were gay or lesbian. Remember, being gay is not sinful according to Catholics, engaging in gay sex is.

No matter how you approach it, Catholics and conservative Protestants differ somewhat on their views regarding human sexuality.
Catholic Church says:

1)our sexuality is beyond our control (gay, straight, whatever)
2)married couples should only have sex in moderation (more for procreation, by the way)
3)being a virgin as an adult is most holy

Conservative Protestants say:

1) we can alter our sexuality to be heterosexual
2) married couples should have as much sex as possible
3) being a virgin as an adult is unnatural (go get married and make babies)

Last edited:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

No, it's un-American to love everybody. There is always an in group to hate. Besides, I thought we had already proven that homosexuality was not a choice. If they actually find a gay gene or chromosone that's a huge problem; because then people could test in utero and start aborting gay fetuses.

Heck, India has a shortage of marriageable females because for decades they have allowed selective abortions. People have chosen to abort the useless girl babies and keep the boy babies. Now parents are upset that their precious sons have no girls to marry. :rolleyes: :duh:

No. Suddenly you switch from a choice, to a "Problem" or "disability". Now, everyone jumps on the bandwagon to "FIX" people, and selling "Anti-gay" pills filled with lime Jello.
You'll be lucky if it's just lime jello and not cyanide.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
look... homophobia is a useful and important trait.

Its like a big clanging leper bell letting you know that you are dealing with an emotionally stunted idiot.

There will always be emotionally stunted idiots...
Better for the rest of us if they are readily identifiable....

I think NJ has it quite figured out. There is a fear among the gay community that the gene could be discovered and eradicated or fetuses aborted once it's detectable.

The great irony is, of course, that the most vehement anti-gay people are also usually the most vehement anti-abortion people. If they get prenatal testing, what would they do? What could they do? Try to force the child to be straight? Opt for some sort of gene replacement therapy?

There is a very real possibility that genetic augmentation will erase some traits from the genome simply because people want to. While we might welcome the ability to eliminate the gene for breast cancer or cystic fibrosis, might others consider eliminating genes for homosexuality? Short stature? Dark skin? If I were a parent and could give advantages to my unborn child, would I do it? Yes I want my son to never go bald, be 6' 2", prone to muscle mass, great teeth, well-hung, strikingly handsome, and have a genius IQ. These are things that could be as valuable to him as a college education given how biased society is to people we consider good-looking. Given how competitive some parents are, I don't see this as being far-fetched. At some point, perhaps not too far in the future, we'll have an entire class of children from wealthy homes who can be universally identified by their blond hair, blue eyes, tall stature, athletic bodies, and honor roll status. And oh yes, they will all be straight.

Would I do this if I were black and living in America? Shades of Imitation of Life?

Will we then have genetic class instead of economic? Will people who cannot afford genetic modification have children relegated to lower status? Or will the genetically unmodified have the last laugh and become the Morlocks to the modified's Eloi?

Last edited by a moderator:

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Nope. Skin color is also simply a genetic trait, yet there are still racists out there.
So even if homosexuality is discovered to be genetic ( Duh!), there will still be homophobes.

Damnit. I was about to say that.

But ye, I agree. We've found that skin color is an inhereted trait, didn't stop anyone. We've found that gigantism, dwarfism, some diseases and disorders...etc...etc are all genetic.

If anything, discovery of a gay gene would further augment the argument for genetic engineering.

Ever seen the movie Gattaca ?

Hellboy0

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
...If anything, discovery of a gay gene would further augment the argument for genetic engineering.

Ever seen the movie Gattaca ?

Too true. Homophobia, racism, sexism... all of those 'isms' are fucking illogical, inhumane, unscientific, and just plain idiotic stances. But it doesn't stop them from being embraced by a large part of our planet.

Though discovering a 'scientific' proof of a gay gene sounds great on paper, it'll just be another argument for finding ways to eradicate it from the gene pool.

Don't worry though. We're not called 'fairies' for no reason: We just keep popping up magically where you least expect us, and there is NOTHING you can do to stop us from being here....MWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

Last edited: