If you can, sell T-bills short

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Wyldgusechaz, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Wyldgusechaz

Wyldgusechaz New Member

As the dollar is inflated, it will only be a matter of time till interest rates rise in order to get more borrowers. That are at near historic lows now so there is hardly anywhere for them to go but up.

Also by commodities like coal and oil, if you can.

NEVER has there been such a predictable way to earn a really great return.

2. Flashy

Gold Member

i would warn very seriously against purchasing any oil or coal.

commodities trading is not for amateurs.

i spent two years as a floor trader at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange...

people who do not know much about the markets should stay as far away from commodities trading as possible.

Also if you are going to try trading commodities as an amateur, Oil would not be the best choice for your first introduction to it.

3. tal94

tal94 New Member

I'd agree that T-Bills look overvalued and the oil price will probably firm up by the end of the year but Flashy is right- logic and the markets do not always go hand in hand. Only invest what you can afford to lose as the caveat goes...

4. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

if it's futures you're "investing" in, be prepared and able to lose more than what you "invested"

5. tal94

tal94 New Member

Fair point and ETFs are probably easiest way to gain exposure

6. lucky8

Gold Member

Good idea, but is there really going to be that much inflation from this? I mean, it's not like we're the only ones printing money...just about every other country is doing the same things we are, so wouldn't this kind of balance out the inflation a bit?

7. midlifebear

Gold Member

I wish it did, but it doesn't. There's a great little book used in many Introduction to Economics classes called The Secret Life of Money. At the moment the author's name doesn't come to mind, but you can easily find and order a copy of it on Amazon.com. I'm not certain how many printings it's gone through, but each time it's reprinted the author includes thorough updates to reflect the current economic times.

It's a slim volume, has a few pictures, and is an objective informative read.

I'm of the opinion that anyone wanting to argue about economics, or just plain Dollars and Cents should first read The Secret Life of Money as well as the equally fascinating Everybody Poops Book.

Both have great practical value. :smile:

8. lucky8

Gold Member

Hmm, never heard of it...I didn't really learn much in micro and macro econ...both of my teachers were foreign and did really poor jobs at explaining how concepts actually work in the real world, they were more so "just memorize the terms" kind of classes...maybe I can find it on PDF somewhere

9. D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead Account Disabled

If getting financial advice at a big dick website seems a little incongruous, then don't take it.

Draft saved Draft deleted