If you could go back to any place and time in history....

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by TomCat84, Jun 2, 2010.

1. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    ......when/where would it be and why? This can relate to your own life, or to historical events/places.....

2. D_Relentless Original

Albums:
    Hi Tom, i would like to visit the fifties, loved the cars, the guys clothes, haircuts and as i collect 50's pottery, get as much as i can.

I also would like to visit the 70's, loved the style, the music, the TV programmes.

3. DAMP1

DAMP1 Active Member

I'd love to go back to 1977 - the year I moved to CA - my bf at the time and I drove across country. The best and the worst years of my life....

4. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hmmm, dare I ask if we get to know everything we know now if we go back? I guess I should go with my favorite summer.

I would choose 1993, I was 12. It was the last summer I got to spend with my grandparents on their farm. They both died shortly after that. Life seemed so long when I was a child. I spent every afternoon laying on my back in the fields watching the clouds. Dreaming of what I wanted to be and do and see when I grew up.

5. Pandora77

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    France in the 17th/18th century, in the time of Louis quatorze and/or Marie Antoinette.
    I have always been fascinated by that period, the dresses, the manners, everything. And I would have liked to see Versailles the way it was back then, plus experience the lifestyle and wear such clothes.
    I also would like to go back to England in the time of Queen Elizabeth, 1st. I'd like to see what she was like in person.
    I would rather not meet her father, though. I like to keep my head on my shoulders :biggrin1:

6. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Three eras immediately come to mind:

1. The late 60s just so I could experience Woodstock
    2. The late 70s/80s as an adult so I could experience Studio 54 and the Paradise Garage
    3. The 1920s-1930s for the Harlem Renaissance

7. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    1970s San Francisco so I could have a ton of sex, experience newfound freedom, and not have to care about HIV

8. exwhyzee

Gold Member

Between the intolerance, the lack of hygiene, the ignorance, and the cruelty...I don't think I could go much farther back than 1900. Come to think of it, civil rights sucked into the 60s. Then you had bad clothes, then bad hair, then bad internet.

I think I'll stay right where I am, time-wise.

9. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I would love to have seen Belle Epoque Paris from the mid 1890s until just before WW1, with occasional side trips by train to Vienna, Prague and St Petersburg then skip ahead to about 1926 (after the inflation had simmered down) to visit Berlin and (believe it or not) Sofia, Bulgaria and Cluj-Napoka and Bucharest in Romania.

It also would be fascinating to see Boston in the 1830s before immigration and railroads had altered it completely.

10. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

My girlfriend and I had this conversation the other night. For me it would have to be the 50's. Love the music, cars etc...
    Seems like life was a little simpilar then.

11. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I moved straight from High School into downtown Boston in May of 1978. Though not quite in the same league of San Francisco, it was hedonistic and free-wheeling in ways you cannot imagine; it was also cheap as dirt to live there before teh gayz made everything so very pretty.

12. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

I think as a woman i wouldn't want to go back to any other time period. Mainly because i have horrible cramps and they didn't have boxes of commercially made tampons and meds for the cramps. They also didn't have modern medicine to give me a lower death-risk c-section when i gave birth (because me and my daughter would have died in childbirth). These kinds of things makes me never want to be outside of the modern time frame i live in now.

But if i had a chance to experience another time period without being a female, because i'd just be stuck in a dress somewhere doing hot laundry on a hillside with stinky armpits.....

I just can't imagine enjoying any other time period as glorious as it looks in photographs or in novels because i wouldn't want to be working that hard with the illnesses that were out there.

So i'll sum it up to anything Post-Pennicilin

If i could have a healthy life in any other timeframe it would have to be in a time where religion and death and war didn't rule your life. Maybe in Ireland centuries ago, the life of a Monk (i know thats religious) but i'd love to have the green grass, the constant rain and live off the land.

Or with my Native American ancestors in US, in places like Colorado where the mountains were untouched and their magnificance was honored and worshiped and respected.

13. exwhyzee

Gold Member

A book has been written about that period in Boston. Interesting.

14. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks for the tip. I'll order it when I get some extra cash :biggrin1:

15. THEDUDEofDestiny

Gold Member

Well, if you aren't a white that pretty much rules out any period before 1998, and if you are a woman any period before 1980 is bound to be terrible. If you are a white male you have to consider how much better looking women are now than in the past, especially if you go back past 1955 or so. Also there was a period in europe where there were all kinds of wars and trade disputes over pepper, which means food was either terrible or doused in pepper. Also language becomes a problem in that you wont be able to understand anyone from the 17th century back, or you will have difficulty doing it and they will have problems understanding you. Also, you have to understand that in the past they didn't have the internet, you wouldn't be able to listen to any music you wanted to or watch any show/movie you wanted to at anytime, but they did have famines in plagues on biblical scales. basically i would go back a few years before the recent stock market crash and prosper and then get out at the right time and if you choose to do anything differently from that you are retarded. i guess if you are gay you might want to check out the scene before aids hit, but then you'd have to deal with even more discrimination and the aids epidemic that also followed the good years.

16. THEDUDEofDestiny

Gold Member

this guy said everything i just wasted a essay post on in a mere paragraph. follow his advice and skip mine.

17. THEDUDEofDestiny

Gold Member

except for mccarthy and the constant threat of nuclear annihilation, repressive views towards women and minorities and the fact that you can listen to all the music from that era you want right now and this is a good choice. do it for the cars.

also i have a hard time believing any period was simple for the people who lived in it

18. D_Portelay Porquesword

I would love to see the 16th century Vienna, see the opera namely the Castrati. Maybe pop over and see Michelangelo's David (1504) during that time.

They smelled badly and lots of rotten teefs but even so..if there was a way to explore it safely that would be a choice for me.

Since the op was a hypothetical question and not at all possible, posts like these are a nice break from the norm.

#18 D_Portelay Porquesword, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  19. THEDUDEofDestiny

Gold Member

do we get terminator like indestructability? if so id go back to the middle ages, find a part of the world without any of my ancestors in it and just start killing people until i was made the king. then i'd rule with the delicate touch of a philosopher king whilst banging all the wenches in the land.

20. D_CountdeGrandePinja

D_CountdeGrandePinja Account Disabled

probably the early 13th C - so much difference to experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted