If you could go back to any place and time in history....

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I would loved to have lived and been in my prime in the late 1950's and early 1960's ideally working in the airline industry with free flights around the world, a time when Europe was dirt cheap, Asia was undiscovered, and nothing was overrun by tourists or ruined by them.

It also would have been nice to have lived during the Golden Age of Sex in the 1970's in New York, SF, LA and Chicago as a gay man. Ahhh Fire Island must have been heaven.....

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
1970s San Francisco so I could have a ton of sex, experience newfound freedom, and not have to care about HIV

That would be a good choice (except for all of the bad polyester clothes).

I would have enjoyed living (as an adult) in mid town Manhattan from 1947 to 1968. Long enough to wallow in the old semi-safe street life and modern theatre of the 1950s and able to enjoy the last of the faded cafe society which went up in a giant flaming party arranged by Truman Capote and hosted by Katharine Graham. Imagine sitting in orchestra seats the first week of Hello Dolly. That's camp that cannot be replicated. :smile:

Oh, and don't forget the 1940 to early 50s DeSoto taxis. Big, bulging cars with back seats almost big enough for a game of tennis. Sigh.

Last edited:

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
Theres alot of places i would like to go.

Id love to experiance the 60's. I consider myself to have abit of a hippy mindset so it would be nice to have people with the same mentality.

I think id like to be in Petrograd in 1915-1920. And Cuba during the revolution. It would be nice to be among the victorious peoples.

MACattack

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I love all the negativity on here. If you get to go back I'm assuming you get to keep your current knowledge. Why not try to FIX some of those problems from an earlier time?

Personally, if I get to come back to the present as easily as I went into the past I would go straight to year 0. I would love to see the Library of Alexandria before it was destroyed and take a look at a time that isn't documented from a recent point of view.

However, if I have to stay in the past, I think I like the dude's idea and make some mad money on the stock market.

If we don't get to keep our knowledge though, I'd just go back and redo highschool and hope for the best. I was so shy and lazy back then, so many wasted oppurtunities.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I love all the negativity on here. If you get to go back I'm assuming you get to keep your current knowledge. Why not try to FIX some of those problems from an earlier time?

Personally, if I get to come back to the present as easily as I went into the past I would go straight to year 0. I would love to see the Library of Alexandria before it was destroyed and take a look at a time that isn't documented from a recent point of view.

However, if I have to stay in the past, I think I like the dude's idea and make some mad money on the stock market.

If we don't get to keep our knowledge though, I'd just go back and redo highschool and hope for the best. I was so shy and lazy back then, so many wasted oppurtunities.

I "feel" your pain. But it's that damn prime directive shit that would prevent me from going back to 1950 and "accidentally" driving over Senator McCarthy and the rest of the Committee on Un Americanism crap.