If you could visit any fictional place...

What fictional place would you most like to visit?

• Total voters

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The Star Kingdom of Manticore (from the Honor Harrington series created by David Weber). Wonderful space opera, with a social conscience.

Imagine:

(1) a hereditary monarchy ruled by a Black woman
(2) the central heroine, Honor Harrington, a mix of White and Asian
(3) a multi-party political system whose members are less concerned with race or gender than with beliefs, ethics, and equality of opportunity
(4) a society that doesn't automatically link race (or skin color) with socioeconomic class (or class assumptions)
(5) a serious discussion of the ethics of warfare and the implications of foreign policy, particularly in dealing with star systems that have state-sponsored religions
(6) a clear articulation of the legal rights of cloned and genetically altered individuals
(7) a clear legal right to (heterosexual) polyamory

Weber's truly interesting stories raise multiple thought-provoking issues. I've read and re-read all the novels in the series at least 10 times each--and learned something new about myself each time.

NCbear

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
NCBear,

Those sound fascinating. I think I need to look for those in the bookstore or on Amazon.

NCbear said:
The Star Kingdom of Manticore (from the Honor Harrington series created by David Weber). Wonderful space opera, with a social conscience.

Imagine:

(3) a multi-party political system whose members are less concerned with race or gender than with beliefs, ethics, and equality of opportunity
(4) a society that doesn't automatically link race (or skin color) with socioeconomic class (or class assumptions)
(5) a serious discussion of the ethics of warfare and the implications of foreign policy, particularly in dealing with star systems that have state-sponsored religions
(6) a clear articulation of the legal rights of cloned and genetically altered individuals

Weber's truly interesting stories raise multiple thought-provoking issues. I've read and re-read all the novels in the series at least 10 times each--and learned something new about myself each time.

NCbear

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Rob just Rob,

Those all sound like places right up my alley. Watery paradise. Are you by any chance a water sign? I attribute my interest to being a double water sign...Do you think Tom Bombabdill was a prototype for the "Green man"

rob_just_rob said:
OK, I was kind of cranky when I posted this.

So...
Rivendell/Tom Bombadil's house
Xanadu (Coleridge's)
Waterdeep (revealing my inner geek)
Atlantis (the Graham Hancock version :wink: )

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
naughty said:
Rob just Rob,

Those all sound like places right up my alley. Watery paradise. Are you by any chance a water sign? I attribute my interest to being a double water sign...Do you think Tom Bombabdill was a prototype for the "Green man"

I think Taurus is an Earth sign? :confused: But I definitely am partial to the water.

As for Tom Bom, I'm not sure if the Green Man concept predates Tolkein. But I do like this explanation for Tom, Goldberry, and their house: http://tolkien.cro.net/else/bbeier.html

medic007

Just Browsing
Media
I totally cast my vote for the Myst / Riven / Exile world of D'ni...I mean, come on - books that lead to worlds they describe? Its like wishing for more wishes :biggrin1:
And the books / games were awesome too, so, by extension, so must the world be.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
NCbear said:

Imagine:

NCbear

If this culture is so little concerned with race then why is it so clear what race the monarch and central character are? a) why would they even bring it up? b) there must still be pretty widespread dialogue against miscegenation if there's a character clearly identifiable as half asian half white, and another whose 100% black... though that this takes place in some imaginary kingdom makes it seem incredibly odd that there are even similar racial distinctions.

I dunno... they might be wonderful books... but...

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
NineInchCock_160IQ said:
If this culture is so little concerned with race then why is it so clear what race the monarch and central character are? a) why would they even bring it up? b) there must still be pretty widespread dialogue against miscegenation if there's a character clearly identifiable as half asian half white, and another whose 100% black... though that this takes place in some imaginary kingdom makes it seem incredibly odd that there are even similar racial distinctions.

I dunno... they might be wonderful books... but...

Interesting question. You actually have to figure out race from hints, not full descriptions.

It's (thank GOD) very different from most sci-fi or fantasy novels where the "default" race is a lovingly described, almost excruciatingly lovingly described, Northern or Western European bunch of "people" or humanoids (e.g., Xanth, Middle Earth, etc., and other worlds in which nonWhite people are "not from here").

NCbear